Eyed hooks

pez

Reaction score
I have been learning different knots etc ( newbie fisher person/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif) but am finding it hard to tie size10 hooks or smaller on with the palomar knot, due to the fact its hard to pass a loopof mainline through the eye. So do some hooks have a bigger eye, the hooks ive got are Kamasan eyed barbless. KNOTa big problem as i will continue to use the half blood knot for smaller hooks i was just wondering.

L

Laurie Harper

You'll probably be all right with a half blood for smaller hooks/lighter lines. Palomar better for heavier work. Why not invest in a hooktyer for more delicate tackle. The overturn whipping knot they produce is stronger than a half blood. Incidentally, don't try to pass a loop through the eye. Thread the linethrough and then back the other way again. You'll find it easier if you cut it at an angle with sharp scissors or blade before doing so. If you bite line, it splays, making it harder to thread through a small eye.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

A needle threader could help, get them from any milliner shop.

S

Sean Meeghan

Try the grinner Pez. Its probably the most reliable knot there is. Its esier to snug down with thicker lines than a half blood, works really well on braid and even works on fluoro (contrary to popular belief!).

Barney 2

Reaction score
I will second the grinner, it's been a mainstay in my fishing and I have total confidence in it. I thought it was recommended for fluoro! (Perhaps I am unpopular!)