Spectacular catches

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Some years ago, I was walking on Eastbourne Pier when I saw a young lad land a sea scorpion equal to the then British record.

Before that, I bought my first real carp pole, a Tri Cast XRS, and stuck four grains of corn on a size 8 only to strike into the first fish, a 1oz gudgeon.

What spectacular catches have you taken or witnessed? :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Blimey...you would appear to have triggered a spontaneous outburst of modesty.

I could not in all conscience describe any of my own catches as "spectacular"...to me at the time perhaps they were but maybe memorable is a better word.

I can think of a couple of times when other people's catches have made big impressions on me. A roach nearer 3 lbs than 2 off the Kennet from a stretch I'd never visited before that was rumoured to hold a few big uns. Needless to say I went back but never had or even saw a fish of that size again from that stretch.

And,bearing in mind I'm not a carper,a fully scaled common of 33lb that looked like it had never been out before. I've seen loads of pictures of bigger carp but never one of that size "in the flesh" . It was very impressive...I could not believe the width across its back and it was absolutely mint. Fabulous looking thing.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Saw the record eel in Dave Swallow's tackle shop (Custom Tackle in Moordown). We were convinced it was a little conger from Bournemouth or Boscombe Pier!

Witnessed an estimated 38lb very fresh run Avon salmon being hooked, played, tailed and gently nursed back to fitness then slipped back without fanfare. Stunning piece of angling skill by a proper all round angler.

I've had a few captures which are memorable only to me. The most recent happened last month. After quite a few years I finally landed a 20lb+ Brownie. Yes it was a stocked fish but had successfully avoided (and been harassed by) anglers of all skill levels every day for the last 4 or 5 months. But, hey, it floats my boat :) Stalked the thing for hours but it eventually made a mistake.

Memorable for me as it concluded a long held ambition, far too many unsuccessful trips and probably a few hundred hours of stalking such beasts. All of which probably explains why I ended up jumping in up to the waist when it buried itself in the weed. Managed to free it, get back on the back and eventually got it in the net.:eek:mg:

At 21:04 it's the heaviest fish of the year from Avington and just 1:04 short of the long held fishery record.

Brown_2.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
S-Kippy - Just sort of sat there and looked at it for quite a while! :eek:

Thought very seriously about having it set up but pretty sure my wife would've divorced me had I stuck it on the bathroom/loo wall!

Most of the doubles I've had have been thinly filleted and cold smoked. The majority, rainbows and browns, have been very tasty.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yes....not much else you can do with them when they are that size.They smoke very well and smoking them is a lot cheaper than having them set up.

The only fish I'd ever contemplate having set up would be a sea trout. I've promised myself if I ever get one big enough [got to be 12lb +] I will do it. My mate had a 13lb+ fish set up and it is absolutely stunning. Cost him a lot of money though....God knows what he'll do if he ever gets a bigger one [and he could !] .

Hell of a brownie btw. Well done !