best way to hair rig meat?

chav professor

Reaction score
I was shown a brilliant new method of hair rigging meat......

Luncheonmeatsurgery-thelagunaway002_zpsa7285b27.jpg

it involves no baiting needle (as such), leaves no visible bait stop, is incredibly secure and can't be cast off....

The method, as in all things, required a name, hence 'T-Hole surgery' - its a very tongue in cheek name... its not fiddly and is so simple, that even I can do it using my 'Banana' fingers....

Luncheonmeatsurgery-thelagunaway011_zpsf08c0edb.jpg

Just leads me onto... How do you hair rig meat?

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Yes but not often, prefer to bury a hook in it, which is an advantage in weedy or debris carrying water. When hair rigging I use quickstops and only push the stop two thirds of the way into the meat then withdraw the needle and gently pull the line until the stop turns.

nicepix

Reaction score
I use Rawl Plugs, sized to suit the piece of meat.

If you leave a 4" - 6" tail after tying the hook on you can put the end of the tail through the slits in the plug, adjust the hair length then secure it by wrapping the tail around the plug several times and slip a float rubber over the wraps. As such the hair length can be easily altered if needed.

I once had three separate 3lb chub on the same piece of meat so it is very secure.

chav professor

Reaction score
I use Rawl Plugs, sized to suit the piece of meat.

If you leave a 4" - 6" tail after tying the hook on you can put the end of the tail through the slits in the plug, adjust the hair length then secure it by wrapping the tail around the plug several times and slip a float rubber over the wraps. As such the hair length can be easily altered if needed.

I once had three separate 3lb chub on the same piece of meat so it is very secure.

Thats nothing... I can drill a hole, put 30 of them splitstops into the hole and support screws into my wall :D

Haven't got a picture though;)

BTW, do like your thinking... its a good idea! :)

Phil Adams

Reaction score
I was shown a brilliant new method of hair rigging meat......

Luncheonmeatsurgery-thelagunaway002_zpsa7285b27.jpg

it involves no baiting needle (as such), leaves no visible bait stop, is incredibly secure and can't be cast off....

The method, as in all things, required a name, hence 'T-Hole surgery' - its a very tongue in cheek name... its not fiddly and is so simple, that even I can do it using my 'Banana' fingers....

Luncheonmeatsurgery-thelagunaway011_zpsf08c0edb.jpg

Just leads me onto... How do you hair rig meat?

I tend to always hair rig meat, the only exception for me being if I'm using small cubes, in which case I'll side hook or bury the hook right in.

When hair rigging I usually just go with a standard knotless knot in either mono or braid and mount the meat on this. The only tweak is that I use a thickish twig to hold the meat in place.

I think the most important aspect is the gap between hook and bait or lack of when fishing for chub!

BTW Chav, I've just been browsing through your photobucket album, you've got some great pics in there mate.

nicepix

Reaction score
Thats nothing... I can drill a hole, put 30 of them splitstops into the hole and support screws into my wall :D

Haven't got a picture though;)

BTW, do like your thinking... its a good idea! :)

You can also put some Blu-Tac inside the plug to add a bit of weight. When freelining or rolling. But I haven't got a picture of that either so you'll just have to imagine it.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

I tend to always hair rig meat, the only exception for me being if I'm using small cubes, in which case I'll side hook or bury the hook right in.

When hair rigging I usually just go with a standard knotless knot in either mono or braid and mount the meat on this. The only tweak is that I use a thickish twig to hold the meat in place.

I think the most important aspect is the gap between hook and bait or lack of when fishing for chub!

BTW Chav, I've just been browsing through your photobucket album, you've got some great pics in there mate.

Have you noticed that the further back you go in the library, the more hair their is, the less knobbly the knees are, the smaller the fish and the breamier the chub are? :D

cg74

Reaction score
Really a scalpel to cut meat, is it now a surgical procedure then?

Last edited:

chav professor

Reaction score
Really a scalpel to cut meat, is it now a surgical procedure then?

Nah... its a scalpel... just for kicks... Seemed appropriate for a t-hole surgical procedure.... Beautifully sutured up I think you would have to agree! Structurally, much of the strength that prevents the meat from coming off is safely inside the meat cube....

It didn't take much more time than to hair rig a bollie...

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Thanks Phil... had to take a look through the Photobucket library... Its the best way to upload pics to fishing magic and a good way to jazz up a post or two (or in-deed, bream one up.... Nice one Nicepix:eek:mg::D)

blackout

Reaction score
meat surgion thats funny!!! :D
What about tips for cheese thats crumbly it breaks when you pull the hair through and it comes off as well?
its probably easier fishing the margins or a gentle under arm cast IMHO

robtherake

Reaction score
meat surgion thats funny!!! :D
What about tips for cheese thats crumbly it breaks when you pull the hair through and it comes off as well?
its probably easier fishing the margins or a gentle under arm cast IMHO

May I refer you to my previous post - they're just as good for cheese.

dead peg

Reaction score
Apologies for going slightly off topic but would you advise hair-rigging meat when ledgering/feeder fishing for Chub , in small rivers for example ?

Would a Chubs mouth and the way it feeds make a difference whether you hair-rig or not ? Being different to a fish with a softer mouth , Tench , Carp , etc . Any opinions on this ?
I'm new to chub fishing so thanks for any info

chav professor

Reaction score
if you want to hair rig for chub... keep the hair short...

If you want to hair rig in conjunction with a bolt rig... this is the definitive article... http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/coarse_fishing/specimen_fishing/15276-big-chub.html

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Here's a shot of them taken on my phone - like you, I couldn't find them on images. I bought them from a local shop.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Probably like quite a few bits, knocked up 'in-house' - (easily knocked up at home I guess)..... Look better than the Korum ones to be fair... As a paste holder, it would be great, specially with the joining loop within the paste.

Just a personal opinion... still think the T-Hole method looks quite elegant...

robtherake

Reaction score
They did have a name on the packet - may have been John Roberts, but I honestly can't remember.

Yes, they are excellent paste holders - bread and cheese paste in particular.

I've seen home-made versions knocked up from copper wire/fuse wire and would imagine they're simple to make..

Keith M

Reaction score
Apologies for going slightly off topic but would you advise hair-rigging meat when ledgering/feeder fishing for Chub , in small rivers for example ?

Would a Chubs mouth and the way it feeds make a difference whether you hair-rig or not ? Being different to a fish with a softer mouth , Tench , Carp , etc . Any opinions on this ?
I'm new to chub fishing so thanks for any info

I often fish small clear streams where I can often watch shoals of Chub and Barbel feeding under my rod tip, and for Chub I much prefer to fish with hook mounted baits or very short hairs with the bait resting on the back of the hook.

This is because I regularly see Chub picking up a bait in their lips and darting away from the rest of the shoal before attempting to swallow it in relative peace; just like wild birds do when eating bread in the garden, when they fly up into a tree away from the other birds with a piece of bread in their beaks.

If a normal length hair is used then the hook is often left hanging loose on the outside of the Chubs mouth as it moves away from the shoal with the bait between its lips; resulting in the classic pull round on the tip resulting in no fish being hooked.

In fact If I am targeting Barbel in a swim that also has some Chub in it; I will often use a long hair on purpose so that the bait gets pulled from the Chubs mouth as it moves off; leaving the bait behind for the Barbel.

This doesn't always happen but enough to make me use a hook mounted bait and disuade me from using a normal length hair rig when I am after Chub.

Keith M (BoldBear)

Last edited:

waveney_chubber

Reaction score
All this fuss over hair rigging meat! Can't believe the lengths people go to. Its not brain surgery lads! Makes me wonder how we all got on before all these spangly bait springs, bits of metal and plastic....