Float making

jimlad

Reaction score
I've had a go at making a float recently. I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt, though I've seen a lot better!

Anyway to my question..

Some of the float is supposed to be white, but the yacht varnish has tarnished this colour. Not necessarily the end of the world, however is there anything else that could be recommended which wouldn't have this effect as a protective coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Over the years that I've been involved with FM countless Threads have come and gone around this subject both from people who, like myself, just dabble to a reasonable standard, and those who produce floats almost to a professional standard.

It is possible to produce floats that 'work' following designs from books such as Billy lane's Float Manual using a variety of materials but such materials are in short supply these days compared to 30 years ago.

I suggest, if you have a desire to make floats as a hobby, you take the time to trawl through these old threads as they are packed with information on materials, paints and finishing varnishes etc. I have posted questions/ info at various times as have others which may help you...
One poster under the name of either George 357 (or 375!) was vary good at helping people with invaluable info and who produced some cracking floats himself. ( To my knowledge he stopped posting some time ago)

You could do worse than start with him.........

With regards to your question can I suggest you give a little more info about the paints you used which might help in working out the discolouring you mentioned.

You will get answers ( I hope ) eventually if float makers still post but many have stopped.....

Good luck!!

George387

Reaction score
Over the years that I've been involved with FM countless Threads have come and gone around this subject both from people who, like myself, just dabble to a reasonable standard, and those who produce floats almost to a professional standard.

It is possible to produce floats that 'work' following designs from books such as Billy lane's Float Manual using a variety of materials but such materials are in short supply these days compared to 30 years ago.

I suggest, if you have a desire to make floats as a hobby, you take the time to trawl through these old threads as they are packed with information on materials, paints and finishing varnishes etc. I have posted questions/ info at various times as have others which may help you...
One poster under the name of either George 357 (or 375!) was vary good at helping people with invaluable info and who produced some cracking floats himself. ( To my knowledge he stopped posting some time ago)

You could do worse than start with him.........

With regards to your question can I suggest you give a little more info about the paints you used which might help in working out the discolouring you mentioned.

You will get answers ( I hope ) eventually if float makers still post but many have stopped.....

Good luck!!

still here Tee Cee Just dont post anymore on the subject,& keep a very low profile :) you were almost right george387 ;)

robtherake

Reaction score
A lot of lads use quick-drying floor varnish. It doesn't have the yellow cast that yacht varnish does and is tough as old boots.

Others swear by superglue as a coating - nice and clear and sets rock hard. Not used it myself so can't comment, but pics of floats done by that method show it works well.

I still use yacht varnish, but only apply it below the level of the tip, which avoids the problem completely. The Humbrol fluoro tip paint is tough enough without a varnish coating.

jimlad

Reaction score
It was the receipt of some floats by George this week that rekindled an old attempt at float making.

I agree with what you say, they are fantastic floats, and I can't wait to use them. (Type in flee and float on google to see his blog).

I'll have a search over old threads and review the discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
From memory I think it was George 387 who put me onto Morrells Severe (I think that's correct) for finishing floats - if you can find it!
I managed to get some from a local Morrells distribution point in High Wycombe Bucks which is local to me but they do have a website.

This milky liquid is applied with several coats doing the job (comes in a semi matt finish) and has never let me down but no doubt other products will do the same job as others have suggested . The downside is that 5 litres is the minimum quantity in my neck of the woods which will probably last for at least 1000 floats!!

Be interested to hear how you get on..........................................

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
PEANUTS FISHING ADVENTURES - THE RIVER IRWELL AND BEYOND.: My Best Bobber To Date.

Here we have a perch / grayling bobber in my own colours. ( Purple, Pink & White )

For more pics hit the blog link. :thumbs:

2ib2dcp.jpg

2h80oc2.jpg

George387

Reaction score
Just got a msg about this thread, I have to admit its been a while...lol,
Doesn't time just fly by when your having fun, I hope everyone is well and enjoying the float making & fishing :)

Wilko

Reaction score
?? This is in reply to a post started in 2013 by Jimlad and I got a msg it was active again, thats all, haven't been on the forum now for quite a few years, nothing more.

No it's not at you George, it has the ingredients of a Purplepeanut thread is what I was commenting. Hope you are well?

Last edited:

George387

Reaction score
No it's not at you George, it has the ingredients of a Purplepeanut thread is what I was commenting. Hope you are well?

lol, Yes mate Im very well thanks for asking, a few sticks in the fire so to speak but still enjoying my fishing although Ive gone back to the darkside....fly fishing ;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
?? This is in reply to a post started in 2013 by Jimlad and I got a msg it was active again, thats all, haven't been on the forum now for quite a few years, nothing more.

Great to see you back George ! :cool::D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I swing by sometimes for a look see but have to admit dont bother posting nowadays, you can still keep in touch via the flee & float, am always up to something...lol :cool:

George, I often look in on your blog and I get a lot of pleasure from it. Your pictures and write ups are great. I'm stuck in the house atm so will have a nosey on the Flee & float shortly ;).