Do you ever look at your gear.....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
......and think,' I'm fed up with this '. Do you feel like flogging the lot and starting afresh?
What would you get rid of?
What would you replace it with?

B

binka

Yes, and I did! :)

Got rid of my beloved Matchbox, pole and all that I felt enslaved to and replaced it with more varied running gear that I found easier to use spontaneously, and that I could fine down into groups so that it was easy to grab 'n go on the spur of the moment without dragging gear around on the off chance that I might need it.

Best thing I ever did, my fishing's more varied than ever and i'm enjoying it more than ever... getting up and getting off when the mood grabs me for whatever I fancy instead of meticulously planning trips is just great.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I pretty much did exactly that over the last three years or so. The minor snag being that I forgot about the selling bit!:eek: I have let a fair bit go for nothing or on long term loans though (permanent unless disaster strikes). I'm pretty confident that I've got kit to cover every scenario and that I'll manage to make it last for the fifteen to twenty years that I made the previous stuff last.
I am struggling a bit for storage space, easily having more rods than my local tackle shop.:eek:;):D

sagalout

Reaction score
I do it all the time, that's what ebay is for. I often think, I will change this for that.

In the last four years I have sold all but one of my rods (I kept a Berkley Barbel rod, did have 2 sold one of them) and replaced them with Maver powerlites, I don't do any long or big weight casting and the action and feel is great with small silvers to mid double carp.

I have bought and sold several bags, trolleys, 2 poles, 2 pole rollers, reels and other bits and bobs.

terry m

Reaction score
Actually no.

I spend far too much time researching new major buy - rods, reels, luggage etc - and although that does have an anorak angle, it does also mean that I only buy what I truly need, not what I think I may need.

I am not an impulse buyer and new kit purchased has to have a decided advantage over the kit already owned, having said that I still have far too many rods and reels.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I have been adding all sorts - rods, bite alarms, a proper chair, a trolley, new Shimanos, etc etc. I have gone from about five rods to over a dozen in about 3 years. The rods all secondhand (except a Garbolino carp picker) and several still not used yet (by me).

It had to happen as my gear was 30 years old and very restrictive - great for the club matches back in the day and still useful for certain situations, but not all. Now i have the sort of stuff i dreamt about as a teenager, but not the time i had then to use it. The trolley has been the most useful item. All that pain and suffering that i used to go through carting tackle 1.5 miles to my swim at Tadpole Bridge - if only i had one back then i might have been a little taller as a full grown-up adult.

As for stuff i should now be rid of - yes. About half a dozen Mitchells for a start and several rods.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I had a set of lures rods that covered light, medium and heavy. I came to the conclusion that light was what I enjoyed so all the rods where sold on. The cash funded an very nice ultra light set-up.:w

I'm currently toying with the idea of parting with 4 original Greys X-flites and Shimmy ultegra's, along with a amiaud peche pod and 4 delks txi's. I've not used them for four years but what worries me is will I get back into carping? I can't see it at the moment but you never know and carp fishing was a huge part of my life for so long.

If I was going to part with it I'd use the cash to fund a nice barbel rod, I'd go custom. I'd also love a 'beefy' cane rod.

Sometimes there's too many choices in this fishing lark.

Last edited:

black rod

Reaction score
I tried to sell everything that I had 12 months ago, my new fishing experience in New Zealand was doing nothing for me and I was going thro a very dark period. Luckily no one wanted my carp gear, so after a few months I started getting back out again, a new "carp club" was formed and this has given me the interest to get out there again. A Great Fish Race is to be run again this year and this will give me the kick up the back side I need to spend more time on the bank.
Since I sold most of my gear I have purchased a few new items, Hardy Markmen 15' float rod, new Abu closed face reel and a second hand 7m Browning margin pole.
Also some boilie making gear.

mick b

Reaction score
Yes once!

That was when I had to complete an insurance deceleration as it was all packed for shipping abroad and my wife saw the bottom line :eek:mg:

Still have all of it and quite a bit more, but not the wife and I've never been happier:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with Terry on this one.

My answer is no, the thought never crosses my mind, well that is until I step into my garage and see the rather large collection that has just grown over the years.

If I study the market for a new piece of kit then it has to offer advantages over the existing versions, but I'd never consider selling anything that resides in my garage.

nicepix

Reaction score
I had a massive cull and re-stock just before coming out to France.

I realised that a lot of my gear would not get used over here and that I was under-gunned for some of the species and situations that I might encounter. So I gave a load of stuff away to friends and young anglers I knew and bought about six or seven new rods and reels that were more suitable to what I expected to find here. Nothing fancy - mainly Greys middle of the range rods and similar middle of the range reels. A tackle tart I ain't.

The only thing I envisage buying in the near future is a small van specifically for fishing and my burgeoning mole catching business. And as I've just had a small windfall in my share dealing slush fund I am now able to fund it out of that :)

john step

Reaction score
No chance of getting rid of anything. Too much sentimental value in gifts bought for me in the past. Even my old Trudex I bought 50 years ago gets used when I don't need to cast far.

C

chefster

Just lately,with my recent run of underachievement in matches ,i,ve been looking at my gear and seriously thinking about selling the lot and going on a massive bender!:mad:either that or smashing it up with a sledgehammer!!!:eek:fishing is supposed to relax me and help me unwind,but its having an adverse affect at the moment:( 3 good pegs blown in the last 3 matches!!:eek::eek: Chef

eel611

Reaction score
I keep looking and thinking about getting shut of some of my stuff, but never do. I've no idea why I have 2 bivvies but can't seem to part with 'em! Why the hell do I need 4 stoves!

aebitim

Reaction score
As an allrounder, I sea fish boat and shore, fish rivers and lakes and gamefish, I have a large amount of varied tackle that I have accumulated over the years and pretty much all of it is used or going to be used. Lately I have stopped scanning ebay as there is nothing else I want or need, I have a couple of rods to get rid of, a 14ft matchpro ultralight and a Korum 1.75/2.2 barbel rod.
Not buying tackle has improved my fishing greatly as I can afford better permits and more fuel to travel.

flightliner

Reaction score
Never enters my head to change my gear only with a rare purchase that didnt perform as I hoped it would-- one of those all singing all dancing tackle boxes a few years ago was quickly got rid of, total rubbish (lotsa dosh tho), The shoulder straps are in the wrong place and go over a stile and hit the corner on a post and see the drawers fall out scattering your floats,shots whatever in the mud on account of the magnetic do da's not being strong enough. Out came my old home made box double quick!.
Oh, maybe all my old bait rolling gear from my carpy days -- any takers!.

fordy81

Reaction score
Never. I want and 'need' more. Lol

I'm not really a materialistic or possessions type person but I absolutely love buying fishing gear.

I've only recently got back into fishing so am finding myself buying quite a bit. Would never dream of getting rid of stuff now although when my next chair turns up that will be four. :eek: However one is on a long term loan to a mate and another wants my other unwanted one.

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
Yes, Last week I sent off my two FM Concept rods to have new handles and rod seats fitted; these two rods are ten years old and have been used every week in those ten years fishing for chub and Barbel on the Ribble. I’ve also just bought two new Shimano Bait Runner XT 6000 RB to replace my existing Shimano Bait Runners that are also ten years old. The old bait runners will drop done to be used on my spare John Wilson Avon rod and a little leger rod both of which I’m using while my FM Concept rods come back. I also use my old Avon quiver when going on Chub Study Group Get-Togethers on small rivers. In general I don’t buy new gear unless the old gear is getting worn out. All my fishing money goes on petrol and permits. Each year I keep saying I’ll have to drop a permit or two but I never do, maybe when I retire full time I’ll have to. Like most of you I never get rid of the old gear.