Fishing Rod Advice

sheripops

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I was wandering if I could have some advice. I want to buy a telescopic fishing rod to use for sea fishing mainly from a boat or the rocks in the Med/Caribbean/Red Sea and similar locations. Just for a spot of holiday fishing.

I don't really want to spend more than about £40 (including real and tackle).

Any suggestions on rod/real line strength would be much appreciated. As for the type of fish I'll be trying to catch - I really don't mind!

Thanks in advance.

mick b

Reaction score
Any decent telescopic that will fit into your suitcase.

In the 70s I 're-homed' a 9ft Shakespeare Tele-spinner that a guy was throwing onto the dump, it had a broken top section and a couple of eyes missing.
After a re-build I used it for many many years on my travels catching everything from Bonefish in the Caribbean to Jacks in the Azores, my mate even used it to troll a lure and catch small Tunas in Guinea last year.
This rod has never looked like breaking and still does good service as my mate proved.

The reel throughout all these travels was a Shakespeare Premier spinner and three spare spools carrying 25, 15 & 8lb mono (from memory) everything got washed in the shower each day.

Oh, always caught better at first light, especially in the Caribbean where the bonefish were around my feet in 6" of water, you can't see 'em but they sure can see a no.1 Mepps.

I used a sectional carrier box, the flat type that electricians carry all their bits in, to store a 'bit of everything' except weights above 1oz (used stones in a bit of netting for heavy weights) and always gave away all my end tackle to the local kids before I came back.

Cannot recommend a tele rod enough, tho the newer models seem a bit flimsy in the tip section, but that's easily remedied.

Flying tip, carry your bait/gutting knife, hooks and reel spools in your suitcase and the reel body in your carry-on bag, this deters the baggage handlers.

Last edited: