Tench fishing gear

nilock

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I really want to try some tench fishing before the season ends.
I have to re buy all my gears because I left my fishing stuff in Italy.

For now I bought this rod and this reel :
1 Masterline John Wilson Avon Quiver Deluxe
2. Masterline Rovex Ceratec Front Drag Reel Match

So consider that I dont have anything a part from the rod, the reel, a landing net and a carp mattress.

What else will I need to buy to have the basic tench gear (feeder fishing), what kind of line, hooks, feeders and so on

Thank you in advance :)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
What else will I need to buy to have the basic tench gear (feeder fishing), what kind of line, hooks, feeders and so on

A lot of this will depend on your budget.
How big are the fish in the lakes that you will be fishing also plays a big part.

Daiwa Sensor Monofil line is a good reliable and cheap line, it comes in bulk spools with loads of line on.
As for Feeders well there are loads on the market, if the water is deeper than say 4 foot i would opt for a Open End feeder for 4 foot and less i would use a Cage Feeder.

Hook will depend on bait but a size 14 would be a good all rounder, perhaps a size 10 if you hair rig corn and pellets.

Hook Length material, again there are loads so it depends on budget and personal choice.

Swivels, quick change swivels, Disgorgers.

Mainline - quick change swivel - open end feeder - 5mm ESP rubber shock beads - Float Stops - swivel - Hook length - Hook - Bait.

That's what i would be looking at buying for my feeder set up.

john step

Reaction score
Is the John Wilson rod one of those that has two tops? One quiver and one plain. If so, add a few waggler floats and split shot to the list for close in fishing beside water lilies and weed. It is amazing on some waters how close in to the side that tench will patrol if there is cover.

nilock

Reaction score
yes that is the one.

As for the rest, my budget is around 200 pounds something like that at least for now, then I will improve my gear.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help on thursday Ill go buying my stuff at angling direct london :)