New Member from Malta!

sarago

Reaction score
Hi everybody I am John Attard and I live in Malta a gem of an Island right in the centre of the Mediterranean, and my passion is shore fishing.

"My mum once told me that I learned how to fish before I could walk"

Read More about me and about my experience at simplefishingtips

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Welcome, John. I spent a lot of time in Malta as kid, right through to my early twenties, my folks (my Dad was an RAF pilot whose squadron went in to take out Nazi shipping in WWII) having a house first in Sliema, then Mosta, then Marsaxlokk. I used to fish Sliema Creek and St George's bay for mullet and bream; same at St Paul's Bay and Mellieha Bay, spearfished off the Dingli Cliffs with the Malta Sub Aqua Club (big grouper in deep water) and for octopus and gurnard in the shallows of many a bay around the island. I used to go out trolling with fishermen of Marsaxlokk, too - small tuna, mostly. Then there were the long-lined swordfish, plus another much-loved species locally, Lampuki**. Happy times. Two of my first early teenage sweethearts were Maltese girls - Joanna and Christine. I won't mention their surnames, as it is a very small island!

** Which is well-known to tropical saltwater sportfishers around the world as the Dorado (totally different fish from the South American freshwater species).

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Amazing what memory and Google can do.

John, if you ever drop into this place in Mosta (still there after all these years) - Ta' Marija Restaurant - Maltese Speciality Restaurant - send my best regards to Benny and Maria Muscat. They were the coolest young couple on Malta in the 1960s, and Maria probably the most beautiful woman on the island - absolutely young Loren or Lollobrigida stunning. They might remember a quiet little fish- and fishing-mad British kid who used to get dragged along to eat one of their fine steaks beneath the stars of an evening by his parents.

Very nice people.