Keith arter fishermans blues

CRAZY CRAB

Reaction score
For these that do not know, keith Arthers Fishermans Blues on a Saturday and Sunday mornings on Talksport has been cut back from 0600hrs/0800hrs to 0600hrs/0700hrs, now this is not on, fishing is BEING kick in the nuts by all sorts of the I do not like fishing people, now this is not on, I would like to start a petition, I think that is the word, to get it back to its normal timings, so if any one has any ideas on how to get this up and running and help out, if it means having a demonstration out side the sky spots buildings, I will do it, I wondered why Keith sounded abit off yeasterday, this is'nt about keith Arther, its all to get fishing back on the air waves,

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I've been known occasionally to have a moan about Keith's programme but for an insomniac like me it is mandatory listening. Sadly I think the changes signify the beginning of the end for the FB show. Unfortunately in recent months the show has become less and less interesting. I appreciate the buzz it must give the kids, but in all honesty devoting large chunks of the show to a lady reading out lists of junior match results isn't really doing the slot justice. And no matter how well intended I don't think it grabs the attention of the majority of listeners. That and the same old bunch of Keith's friends phoning in to the show week in week out has probably convinced the owners of the station that much of it is air time wasted.

I think it is a shame because despite sometimes disagreeing with Keith's point of view I'm quite impressed with his proficiency as a presenter. The bothy format on his 'Tight Lines' TV show works brilliantly with Keith's engaging style of interviewing/chat.

sam vimes

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, Talksport has no connection to Sky. I doubt a protest outside Sky Sports would help much.

terry m

Reaction score
Sorry but cutting this show to one hour is simple not cutting it far enough, scrap it completely.

The format is dross, some of the callers can barely string a sentence together, the earlier point about a girl reading out a string of match results is a good one, it is simply dreadful.

Arthur's know all approach is irksome at best and infuriating at worse.

'Tis no coincidence that Tight Lines improves vastly when Dean Maycey sits in, and FB improves when Nigel Botherway sits in.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Seems that KA is Marmite with a fishing rod!

I tend to be up and about early at weekends whether I'm fishing or not, so if I'm in, it can be interesting to get a break from the non stop football and listen to Fisherman's Blues. Agree that it's been getting a bit tired of late but there's so little angling on National media that losing an hour (and probably the whole show soon) is a little sad.

Thin end of the wedge I fear.

Stu

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sunday mornings in the bath or on the way down the M25 would never be the same without the "I wish I was a fisherman tumbling on the sea, far away from dry land and it's bitter memories"
If they cut out the cringemaking adverts and just got on with the show an hour wouldn't matter.
Many of the callers admit they are non anglers but avidly listen in...

PS. Hi CRAZY CRAB.....;)

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what Talksport have lined up for that vital 7-8AM weekend slot. Must be some incredibly exciting sport I've never even heard of.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Some years ago, BBC Radio 5 Live used to have a Saturday morning angling show - that got canned for pretty much the same thing I seem to remember.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wasn't that the Nick Fisher one, Rotten Tackle? Even I appeared on that a couple of times in the 1990s, the BBC sending a car to Outer Mongolia (near Heathrow) to pick me at some previously unknown early hour of the morning. Now and again, that wasn't a bad programme, my appearances being the exception ... which were the reason for it being pulled, probably.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I think you might be right, I remember that dismal Screaming Reels rubbish he did for Channel 4 but I just cannot remember the name of the BBC Five Live programme - wasn't a Pulitzer Prize title from memory, Fishing Hour or something akin.

Still, it helped a still semi drunk duvet dweller come to terms with Saturday morning having arrived. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
His producer lady at Screaming Reels once phoned me and asked me to do a feature on the programme. I had a good excuse - I would be out of the country when whatever they had in store for me was to be filmed.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like the old Milk Tray Man I'll always go the extra mile - absailing down cliffs at dead of night etc - to get to a worthwhile wench, but would happily leave the planet (even on RyanAir) to avoid becoming a performing Angling monkey. Once was enough.

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
Nick Fishers programme on Five Live was called "Dirty Tackle" and I used to really enjoy listening to it. Nick's very much involved in the whole River Cottage experience days these days. My mate went on a sea fishing catch and cook day a few years back and Nick was the host.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nick Fishers programme on Five Live was called "Dirty Tackle" and I used to really enjoy listening to it. Nick's very much involved in the whole River Cottage experience days these days. My mate went on a sea fishing catch and cook day a few years back and Nick was the host.

Poncy, fingers in every canvas bucket of Spratt's Silver Cloud, Golden Scale / Brazen Snail Club yet again. "Classic", even Traditional, Heritage tomato, Tuscan vinaigrette dressing, Swan and Thames Gudgeon Salad a la West Dorset. We know what you're about.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

Dirty Tackle!! That's it - thanks, Mark :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Voldemort said it first, as he usually does. Rotten bottom somewhere near the top.