How did everyone get on then?

jimlad

Reaction score
Excellent fish mate, as usual!

Well that i had a but of good fun this morning. I decided to try a 'small overgrown river', where I'd heard of one or two surprises in the shape of perch. my brother had had them to 1lb 7oz recently. Myself and my brother decided to do things the proper way, and his makeshift minnow catcher soon had us plenty of baits..

P1020647_zps16786660.jpg

Tactics involved an 11ft 10" drennan drx river feeder, 6.9lb series 7 line straight through to a maggot feeder and size 12 hook, where the live minnow was lip hooked ad kept in place with a single red maggot. After each catching a few small perch to 8oz, we were confident the minnows were working. The bro stayed in a nice deep section, whereas I decided to rove about (I'm not the most patient person!). First cast near a tree and the rod flew straight round. After the usual dogged perch fight, I was very happy to catch a pb perch at 1lb 13oz.
P1020650_zps1815c914.jpg

It's amazing what these small river throw up. I went home a happy man. Next target must surely be a 2lber? I reckon this one will make 2 well into autumn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

B

binka

Congratulations on the pb, great fish and it's really good to read accounts of people breaking new ground and turning in a result!

A little faith goes a long way, well done mate :thumbs:

terry m

Reaction score
Work has really hampered my fishing since June, but got a chance to go out for an afternoon/evening session on a local pit.

Fished an unfashionable swim that has produced for me previously. One bite and a great fight from a stumpy 21lb 4oz mirror. Turned out it was so lightly hooked I was astonished that it stayed on.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Nice fish guys, that stripey has certainly got attitude Jim..............Had a good day's tench fishing on a club estate lake on Thursday - the pond weed has certainly got thicker, most of the fish came in blind folded (a wierd experience, normally have a hard job keeping them out the pads)
Jerry

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Clocked up 240miles travelling to 2 matches Sat and Sun.
Saturday on Clattercote resssie at Banbury. Chucking big bagging waggler for most of 6 hours, losing 3 big carps and landing 1.
The wind was howling which made it tricky and also added to my fatigue and temper at some points...
Sunday off again at silly o'clock to Wallingford, also in Oxon, for a 7 hour grueller on the Thames. Fishing a 15ft float rod, perched precariously on a steep bank, with stick float, caster and hemp.
It was bit city, bleak, small roach and perch were the only fish showing. The big roach were not 'avin it. Ended up with just 3lb of bits.
Today I feel like I've been in a fight, my shoulders and arms are caning. Even my eyes hurt....

jon atkinson

Reaction score
In work Saturday but got out around Sunday lunchtime & went up to Brookfield in Aughton. Started on 2 x red maggot on the waggler & found plenty of small roach & rudd straight away. That dried up after about 45 minutes so I switched to meat which resulted in an eel of just over 1lb after about 10 minutes. Not a snig fan however so I switched to corn giving 3 fairly small but very lively & healthy mirrors and a small bream which, having had only skimmers all year was very welcome. Still no tench or crucians but I'll keep at it! Hoping to get out again on Thursday afternoon...

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
A few hours on the river rudd fishing for me. First time out for a couple of weeks. Not the best conditions but I managed to sneak out one fish at dead on 2lbs, dropped another of about the same size at the net and contrived to naff up at least two other good bites.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
A few hours on the river rudd fishing for me. First time out for a couple of weeks. Not the best conditions but I managed to sneak out one fish at dead on 2lbs, dropped another of about the same size at the net and contrived to naff up at least two other good bites.

Magnificent. I still hope to see a 2Ib Rudd in the flesh one day.

My summer after tench has been pretty abysmal so far - only 3 fish (but all over 6Ib, up to 6-12). Feel time is starting to run out as i havent banked any since July.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
A few evening hours only, did a bit of swim maintenance then put a little bed of particles out and had a very pretty mid double on maize. Great sunset.

Stu

nicepix

Reaction score
Binka, Is that the same barbel photographed different ways? :D

I've been restricting myself to a couple of hours before dusk a few times a week. Too hot to brave the afternoons and we are in the middle of the holiday season so there are walkers, horse riders, cyclists and other non-fishing folk getting to the areas the local anglers don't venture.

Had three catfish between 19-05 to 21-11 on spinner from the Vienne, one each session. There seems to be more catfish in my local stretch of the Vienne than anything else. and considering that my Siberian neighbour has eaten at least six double figure fish from a 150 metre length of river the stock density of these predators is astonishing.

Yesterday I fancied a change so I took the ABU multiplier off and replaced it with a fixed spool reel. Didn't enjoy the session nearly as much. There is a lot of pleasure gained from casting with a multiplier. Much like fly-fishing is made more pleasurable when you can extend the cast. It is easier to work the spinner too with the multiplier. It is back on the rod again now :)