Trademark Calamaties...

B

binka

Just a thought after something that happened this afternoon for the umpteenth time :rolleyes:

Does anyone seem to have a trademark calamity that, despite the steepest odds, they always manage to somehow pull off?

I reckon mine is anything to do with hemp... on the last few outings on the river I've somehow managed to step on the bait box containing the hemp and flip it up, spilling it everywhere!

Never happens with anything else... just the hemp!

Grrrr!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Slipping on discarded baiting needles, you wouldn't believe how many are littered around our club waters......................................:wh

robtherake

Reaction score
Dropping braid blades (and other stuff) through gaps in wooden platforms.

Stuff is now pinned to my clothing on zingers (like you'd pin a dummy to a bib).:eek:mg:

Reaction score
I left my favourite forceps on the river bank once. I often tell the tail when we have friends around for dinner or something and we sit around laughing about it for hours.

john step

Reaction score
Swimming. I have been in twice in the last couple of years. The first time was in the depth of winter. Mobile phone/car keys/ wallet - all went swimming with me!

chav professor

Reaction score
Swimming. I have been in twice in the last couple of years. The first time was in the depth of winter. Mobile phone/car keys/ wallet - all went swimming with me!

Yup.... its swimming for me too..... an over adventurous cast and subsequent hooking of that impossible to extract Chub will result in me often waist deep in the drink... another mobile phone destroyed!

Got one of them water proof Sony jobs... so far, so good!

---------- Post added at 02:07 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

Oh... and loosing disgorgers, forceps, that kind of ting...

black rod

Reaction score
Not catching anything on a match, I can get a net full when I'm pleasure fishing, but come match day they just desert me. I have another Carp Club NZ match on Saturday at a venue that I blanked at last time, so I'm on negative thoughts before I start, maybe the fish can sense my negativity.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best one I remember is one that my mate (Shaun) did not get away with.

It was the opening match of the season in Norway and we'd all been chomping at the bit for the "off" Most of us had prepared thoroughly for the evnet, but sadly not my old mate Shaun.

At the first whistle Shaun fires out about 25 balls of bream-style groundbait to about 40 yards complete with about 3 pints of caster mixed in.

At the all-in he picks up his feeder rod and casts . . . . . . . . . all of the 30 yards of line that he had left on his reel!

Laugh?

The whole section was in uproar for ages, and you can imagine the coments as well.

When I stopped laughing I offered him a spool of Maxima that he gratefully accepted . . . . . . . . he was a bloody good angler was Shaun and despite wasting almost 40 minutes at the start went on to nigh on empty the place and won his section.

That was the last good samaritan act I ever performed I can tell you . . . . . . I came second in the section!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Slipping on discarded baiting needles, you wouldn't believe how many are littered around our club waters......................................:wh

Actually....those that dont leap viciously into the water I break.As I rarely use boilies I like a fine needle and one particular brand that [as needles go] I really like. Trouble is the handle is the most fantastic shade of stealth green & once one of those gets dropped it just vanishes. I wised up & bought one almost as good but with a red handle....sadly those are the brand I keep breaking but at least I can see them !

Yes I know....why not mark the one I like so I can see it. Wish I'd thought of that !

nicepix

Reaction score
Peter's post reminded me of an old and much missed colleague who I used to go sea fishing with. We couldn't get out on the boat due to bad weather so he suggested a bit of beachcasting. Tony started out by wading as far as his wellies allowed, cast in, all of the 16 or so yards of line still left on his reel after God knows how many years, and then waded back to the shore line dragging his lead behind him.

The best calamity I've seen though was another of our little sea fishing club. Karl spent abut half an hour tying a rig while we were steaming out to the mark. He must have put 6 or 7 muppets on neatly tied droppers bottomed off with a huge shiny perk adorned with yet another muppet. He was so proud of his efforts he held it up to show us before dropping it over the side. It was just after he had let go that the look on his face told us that he'd forgotten to tie his super-rig onto his main line. Ten quids worth of tackle went straight to the bottom never to be seen again.

My own personal and repeating calamity is to risk a dodgy knot instead of retying it. You can guess what happens but I never learn. :eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Trouble is the handle is the most fantastic shade of stealth green & once one of those gets dropped it just vanishes

. . . . that reminds me of a well known angler from years ago on here who bought a camo sleeping bag.

At a fish-in he took it outside to "air" in the morning, and never saw it again . . . . . . .

The two of us who hid it (rolled up on the bonnet of his car parked a way aways) had a great giggle but relented about 23:00 hours and told him where it was . . .

Camo gear like that is plain daft . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
If ever I use hooks to nylon, I always seem to remove the one that needs the Rosetta stone to untangle it. The picture on the packet shows how you just unroll them over the fingers but no, I always get the one that just doesn't want to co-operate.

Now the hand's back up to speed, I can use a hooktier again so not all bad, I guess :)

C

chefster

I bought some "white" bread hooks to try for "dobbing" bread in the winter-and dropped them in the snow!:eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
I just remembered another one. A couple of years ago I bought a new feeder rod. First time out I cast in and snapped a couple couple of inches off the tip. Silly me, I hadn't noticed that the line had looped over the tip! I often tell my none fishing friends about it at dinner parties. You should see the excitement on their faces as they hang on to every word of my anecdote, wondering why they never took up the exciting pastime of fishing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yup.... its swimming for me too..... an over adventurous cast and subsequent hooking of that impossible to extract Chub will result in me often waist deep in the drink... another mobile phone destroyed!

Got one of them water proof Sony jobs... so far, so good!

Swimming for me too....
standing on an overhanging bank that gave way on the Thames,
Being blinded by a camera flash and subsequently walking into the water holding a Tench in my arms,
Having to swim after my Carp rod after momentarily resting it by my feet,
These are just a few times that I have ended up in the drink.

Keith

Last edited:
Reaction score
I must say I am very surprised to read about Anglers that are situated at a waters edge actually falling in. What are the chances of that happening? Must be nearly as uncommon as an angler loosing a Disgorger or pair of scissors???

While we are on the subject, something similar happened to us at the weekend. We went round to a friend's house for the evening. As we were leaving my wife couldn't find her handbag, so concluded that she didn't bring it (which would be most unusual I can tell you). Anyway we set off home, but we were half way home when she released that she did take her bag after all!!!!! We were quite distressed because there were lots of important things in it (why she needed her work keys and other work stuff I'll never know).

Well we just had to drive back over for it the next day.

I hope you enjoyed this story, we'll be telling it to other friends for weeks before we get sick of it.