Who's catch is it?

numptyfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last weekend i was fishing with my brother in law, we shared a swim with a rod each, i also had another rod just 12 feet up from him in another swim where i was waiting patiently for a bite, next thing i know is he is shouting to me that my rod was "screaming", by the time i got to my rod he had lifted my rod from the rest and was "holding " it steady so the fish didn't get away, i then took over, reeled it in and landed the fish.

My problem is this, who's catch is it, mIne or his or do we share the weight?

This also happened again with the next catch as i was too far away nab it in time.

I know i need to be very close to my rods at all times but there are just times when you simply can't be!

Steve

Reaction score
Did you set up the rig and bait the hook?

Did you select the swim and cast it in?

Did you play, land and unhook the fish?

If so then it's your fish.

It also seems that it was you that left the rod unattended and it would be you that got the *******ing if the bailiff turned up.

numptyfish

Reaction score
I did all that yes but the rod was not left unnatended it was left right next to my brother in law who also had a rod in the water, i was only 12 feet away from my rod but wasn't in direct view!

So no *******ing for me!

Steve

C

chefster

Why on earth would anyone fish a rod 12 feet away from them:eek::eek: -i think you,re name just about sums it up , next thing you know you,re rod will be getting dragged around the lake.....:eek:mg::eek:

flightliner

Reaction score
A fish was put on the bank but no one can really claim it. I once saw a guy leave his pike rods unattended and another angler noticed he had a run so he called the rods owners who said for him to take the rod.
The result was a twenty two pound pike that would have been a pb for the rods owner . The guy who landed the fish said he wasnt going to take any credit for the catch-- something that I agreed with.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
This is the problem with watching a mates rod - it doesn't feel like your fish, or his either for that matter. The last thing you would want in such circumstances is a new Personal Best or something. Nightmare.

terry m

Reaction score
My advice would be to spend less time concerned about whose fish it is, and more time considering how to best fish rods within easy reach.

numptyfish

Reaction score
No i am not incontinent Kamen, it was just bad luck! Yes it happened twice but like i said i am a biginner and we all learn from our mistakes, this is why i am here!

So Chefster, if and when you need to relieve yourself do you take your rod with you? Do you not ever take a quick look at another swim close by?

12 feet isn't alot, obviously enough for me not to strike it but it wasn't just the fact i was 12 feet away is was the fact that i was distracted by something else, with hours of fishing and nothing really being caught across the lake, a few feet away from your rod is hardly a shocking moment is it!

There is always someone with our rods.

For those who fish 2 or more rods and are moaning about my ability, what happens when you are reeling in a fighter on one rod then your second rod screams at you, what do you do, you can't reel in 2 rods at the same time can you! You may aswell be 200 feet away from it!!

Steve

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I think the fact you are 12 ft from your 2nd rod is a problem

Fish the next peg by putting the hook in the next swim then walk back to your swim with the bail arm open

This way you can have both rods close to hand

Many have seen a rod go in the water leaving a rod unattended or too far out of reach

numptyfish

Reaction score
Cheers Lord Paul, i do get what everyone is saying and it won't happen again but the rod was never left unattended in the first place just not within my capable reach at that particualr time, had it been 10 seconds before the bite alarm went off or a minute after i would have been there.

Cheers comrades

Steve

Reaction score
Some clubs / bailiffs / fisheries class a rod 3m away as unattended. As such a bailiff will demand you pack up and leave and may take your card or ticket.

cg74

Reaction score
Hi all,

Last weekend i was fishing with my brother in law, we shared a swim with a rod each, i also had another rod just 12 feet up from him in another swim where i was waiting patiently for a bite, next thing i know is he is shouting to me that my rod was "screaming", by the time i got to my rod he had lifted my rod from the rest and was "holding " it steady so the fish didn't get away, i then took over, reeled it in and landed the fish.

My problem is this, who's catch is it, mIne or his or do we share the weight?

This also happened again with the next catch as i was too far away nab it in time.

I know i need to be very close to my rods at all times but there are just times when you simply can't be!

Steve

Hi Steve, my first piece of advice is buy a bite alarm and use a baitrunner/freespool reel. My second is don't admit to such things on angling forums, you're asking for criticism. I mean fishing two rods upsets many, fishing with a hook-rig that is deemed as 'self hooking' is meets with disdain from some.

I had a similar(ish) occurrence last year whilst I was bream fishing. It was early afternoon and I was chatting with my mate (who I won't name) in my swim. I was all of 5' from my rods and the righthand rod went off, I was a little slower off the mark and with him being positioned between me and my rods he snatched my rod and reeled in my fish!
I wasn't to bothered as he was into his third or fourth fishless day, whereas I'd been catching steadily the whole time I was.
I think he caught his first fish on the fifth day, I'd gone home by then........

But in all honesty if I never cast out and brought in the fish, I wouldn't take any credit for the capture, it just wouldn't feel right. Though if it feels fine to you

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Some clubs / bailiffs / fisheries class a rod 3m away as unattended. As such a bailiff will demand you pack up and leave and may take your card or ticket.

And while the bailiff is off getting his tape measure, move your chair a whole 2ft closer to the offending rod and you'll no longer be in breach of the 3m rule.

Though I get your point but without actually being there I don't know how anyone can berate the guy.
It's perfectly plausible he was fishing at 30-40 yards out in a completely snag free area......?

numptyfish

Reaction score
Cheers CG74,

I take all your points on the chin mate although the hook was not self hooking at all, the rig was a simple hook and weight nothing more.......it worked too!

Steve

Last edited:
C

chefster

No i am not incontinent Kamen, it was just bad luck! Yes it happened twice but like i said i am a biginner and we all learn from our mistakes, this is why i am here!

So Chefster, if and when you need to relieve yourself do you take your rod with you? Do you not ever take a quick look at another swim close by?

No what i tend to do is take it out of the water,and i dont go wandering about and leaving my tackle unattended:wh......Also if a rig has a fixed lead and a hook,then it is a self hooking bolt-rig:D Mate ,i,ve never fished with 2 rods in my life,i fish with either a pole ,waggler,or feeder/lead rod, i might set all of them up for a match/pleasure session,but i,d only ever fish with one at a time.......As a beginner, i would suggest you concentrate all you,re efforts on learning to fish with 1 rod first...but at the end of the day its up to you what you do-it,s no skin off my nose -if you,re rod gets pulled in:eek::eek:

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
As long as the fish was returned safely then I guess we can put this down to experience.
I've deep hooked fish myself due to carelessness.
It's not a good feeling.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Wow how many posts here = "Im holier than thou" ?

12ft isnt tooooo far, but for the sake of fish safety/water regs/know it all folk, if you need a pee etc, let your mate know, or reel in.

For all the brown nosers, get over it. We have all taken our eye off the ball at one point or another, even if its just for a second. The guy is learning as he fishes, as did most of us.

Phil

C

chefster

Wow how many posts here = "Im holier than thou" ?

12ft isnt tooooo far, but for the sake of fish safety/water regs/know it all folk, if you need a pee etc, let your mate know, or reel in.

For all the brown nosers, get over it. We have all taken our eye off the ball at one point or another, even if its just for a second. The guy is learning as he fishes, as did most of us.

Phil
As has been pointed out to me before on several occasions,its an open forum and anything we feel is contributing to a thread is ok,like i said its no skin off my nose if his rod gets pulled in..Obviously theres 2 ways to learn- the proper way,where you learn watercraft,skill, etc and the other way where you just chuck out maximum amount of rods and walk about or stand about chatting.As for calling people brown-nosers,you should keep opinions like that to yourself :eek::eek::eek: