A word to the wise...

B

binka

I just thought I’d post this as a word to the wise following my experience of the last couple of days.

As mentioned in another thread I fished a rising river on Saturday and a falling river on the Sunday and it wasn’t until Monday evening that I began to feel unwell with abdominal cramps and sweats.

After an unsettled night I got up for work on the Tuesday only to collapse in a heap with fever and dizziness before calling out the doctor who confirmed that I had picked up an abdominal bacterial infection from contaminated water, the most likely source being the river.

The dreaded Weil’s disease did cross my mind but fortunately for me it looks like something less nasty but none the less after thirty six hours in bed and the antibiotics kicking in I’m still getting fevers, a pounding head and my lower internal organs all feel like they’ve got tight clothes pegs nipped on to ‘em… food is a definite no no and I won’t be seeing work this side of the Bank Holiday.

I’ve never really taken any precautions before and not really sure if they would have avoided it but I’ll be taking sanitizer wipes for hands before eating and generally trying to be more careful in future… I think the bottom line is that it’s an occupational risk albeit a very low one but if you are unfortunate enough to pick something up you’ll certainly know about it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hope you're out and about soon Binka, as you say a pack of cleansing hand wipes and/or an antiseptic hand spray are a small price to pay considering some of the alternatives.
Jerry

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you are so ill binka, and I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

We have had quite a few threads over the years regarding both Weil's disease and the use of antispetic wipes when fishing.

I always have a packet of them in my seat box and my ruckbags.

here is some good advice from a previous thread:

More facts here about Weils Disease, courtesy of FM Member Mark Vernel

Weil's Disease? (Leptospirosis)

Weil's disease is an infection carried in rats urine which contaminates water and banks of lakes, ponds and rivers. The disease, which is notifiable is serious and requires hospital treatment. Symptoms start 3 to 19 days after exposure to contaminated water. Early symptoms are similar to 'Flu'. So go see a doctor and say you have been near contaminated water that may have Weils Disease and ask the doctor for a blood test to be carried out.
A few sensible precautions

DO cover with waterproof plasters or gloves (surgical gloves are perfect for hand wounds) all scratches, cuts, sores and breaks in the skin. Disinfect any wounds as soon as possible if they occur whilst at the waterside
  • ALWAYS wash your hands or cover food with a wrapper before you eat
  • NEVER put your hand to your mouth after immersion in river water and never place bait or fishing line in the mouth
  • DON'T touch any dead animal, especially rats
  • NEVER leave food, groundbait or bait on the bankside
An attack of Weil's Disease resembles a cold or flu in the initial stages. The incubation period is from 3 to 19 days.
Early Symptoms are: Fever, Muscular aches and pains, loss of appetite, nausea when lying down.
Later Symptoms may include: Bruising of the skin, Sore eyes, Nose bleeds, Jaundice.
The fever lasts for approximately five days, then a significant deterioration follows.

If untreated, Weil's Disease can be serious and/or become FATAL.
If you become ill a few days after a fishing trip, and you have any of the above symptoms, it is extremely important to contact your doctor as soon as possible. You must tell your doctor that you suspect Weil's Disease, as many of them do not associate it with influenza symptoms without a helpful hint.

Treatment with antibiotics is only effective if started rapidly after symptoms develop. A blood test is conducted to determine the presence of Weil's Disease, the Public Health Laboratory receiving the test should perform an ELISA test for Leptospirosis. If in the United Kingdom, and the local PHL cannot perform an ELISA test, the sample should be sent to: The Leptospirosis Reference Unit, Public Health Laboratory, County Hospital, Hereford HR1 2ER. Telephone 0432 277707. This contact is for UK use only, by the doctor or PHL staff only.

Weil's Disease is a notifiable illness in the UK and it is essential to disclose a confirmed case to the local Public Health office, who will need to know where you believe it was caught. Finally, don't take any chances whatsoever, if you have only a sneaking suspicion that you may have contracted WD, go see your GP and tell him you want it checked out.

Last edited:

daji

Reaction score
Its not something i've really given much thought to. Having read this i'll now be investing in some antibacterial wipes!

Hope you're feeling better soon Binka ;)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Wise? In here? Good luck with that one, Binks, old mate.

Hope by now, you're over the worst - match fit for Saturday, with luck. :)

All the best, mate.

Phil :)

john step

Reaction score
you can buy a product called Dr. Weils on line or I think Boots can order it. It is a spray and is handy to keep in your tackle and is a convenient way to sanitize hands. Odourless and tastless too.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I went fishing the other day to an area of a lake which is infrequently fished and is very silty.

I caught a shedfull - 20 tench and 15 bream ...... But I also suffered from swimmer rash!! A parasite which lives off snails and burrows into your flesh, evoking an auto immune response (rash). Took over a week to settle down.

terry m

Reaction score
Some years ago under similar circumstances I contracted a dose of Cryptosporidium which completely poleaxed me.

The sanitizer wipes is good advice.

Weils disease can kill if not caught early.

Don't take unnecessary chances fellas, fishing may be important, your health is more important.

fordy81

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're recovering binka. Very scary stuff.

Can I suggest you get yourself some acidophilus capsules to take once you've completed your course of antibiotics. Antibiotics can't differentiate between good and bad bacteria and unbeknown to a lot of people your gut flora/bacteria plays a majorly important part in your overall health. The acidophilus will replace the good bacteria you would have lost. Recommendations are to take them for a few weeks after.

B

binka

Glad to hear you're recovering binka. Very scary stuff.

Can I suggest you get yourself some acidophilus capsules to take once you've completed your course of antibiotics. Antibiotics can't differentiate between good and bad bacteria and unbeknown to a lot of people your gut flora/bacteria plays a majorly important part in your overall health. The acidophilus will replace the good bacteria you would have lost. Recommendations are to take them for a few weeks after.

Thanks for that, and all the other suggestions and best wishes... cheers fellas :thumbs:

As a precaution the docs did send blood yesterday down to the lab in Hereford which tests for Weil's so just waiting to hopefully hear the all clear, starting to feel more with it now although still pouring with the sweats and have no appetite at all... I wonder if it's the male menopause? :D

On the weird and wonderful remedy front I had a neighbour call over this morning to relate a story from when he had overturned whilst white water rafting at Holme Pierpoint and he was advised to drink two cans of ordinary Coca Cola as it did something to the unfriendly bacteria?

Mind you I've seen how shiny it brings up old pennies :)

numptyfish

Reaction score
I didn't really realise how important washing/sanitising your hands whilst fishing was, i have always tried to keep clean and washed using water from a spray bottle but i didn't always use hand gel etc.....i will from now on!

Keep well Binka

Steve

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Weil's Disease has been discussed a number of times over the years on FM but it does no harm to repeat it for those who are unaware of it and it's consequences. A quick zip through Google (and old Threads!) will certainly open your eyes...................

Hand wipes and gel's are as cheap as chips and should be a must for all fishermen. It only takes a minute to squeeze some on the hands, not only before eating, but at other times as well. ALL cuts, regardless of size should be covered with waterproof plasters.

I have tried several gels and, as with all such products, they do have a fairly strong odour but it seems to dissipate after a while. I've never noticed any problems with bait contamination...

Buy a bottle of gel or pack of handwipes BEFORE your next outing - you know it makes sense!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
Sorry to hear your not well binka. My mate from near ollerton was out for the count-- probably the same river-- a couple of years back. Since then I have always used one of those anti bacterial gels. I sometimes wince at the thought when nipping a non toxic shot to my line with my teeth that only minutes earlier the same two fingers holding them had minutes earlier been covered with the insides of a busted maggot.
I really must stop it and use some pliers made for the job.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Good point flightliner.....it's the silly things we do, probably out of habit but it only takes once..............

Good to see you're on the mend Binka..