unfished farm pond

Barney 2

Reaction score
Go there on a calm evening, when there is no wind to chop the water, and have a look for signs of fish feeding on the bottom - bubbles, swirls of silt being churned up - that sort of thing. Throw out some bread to see if fish start to attack it on the surface. Binoculars with polarized lenses could help to spot any larger fish. Spend a quiet couple of hours doing this.

If it looks promising, you could then plumb around to work out the features underwater, weed, etc.and how you may approach your first fishing visit.

You never know - could be some big monsters in there!

C

Cakey

Im with Slime theres only one way they will get in there ....................

jasper or big man

Reaction score
hullo gents the pond is a lot older than the farmer who has only recently acquired said farm and its large with a reed bed down one side and clear on the opposite side but he has no idea whats in it

jasper or big man

Reaction score
sorry cakey i just cant imagine a pond like this being devoid of fish if it is i will then put some in it it but any advice would be great

C

Cakey

visit an hour before light and an hour before dark and stay for two hours each time
watch and listen

jasper or big man

Reaction score
morning cakey and slime monster thanks for words of wisdom of to work now will visit pond this evening

C

Cakey

morning..............................sit on your hands ,dont do anything just watch

or you will spook and then you are wasting your time ,sit and watch hard I know but it pays in the long run

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

have you asked the farmer if it contains fish?</blockquote>
I thought fish could colonise new water without stocking due to fish eggs being transferred on the feet of wading birds. Is this just me thinking I had read this somewhere?

C

Colin North, the one and only

Jasper,

I live in Kent (Bromley) and am trying to envisage whereabouts there is a pond such as you describe. I thought I knew most ponds of any size in the area, but of course, if its on private land and has never been fished, prospects are that I may nothave seen it.

Is the pond spring fed orcreated by damming a small stream, or just a big hole in the ground?

If its dammed, it will probably have a natural head of fish, and as Richard says, fish have other methods of colonising water.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>jasper or big man wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>sevenoaks kent not the rich part</blockquote>That will be Earith then! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif