Introduction of the Bolt Rig

W

Wolfman Woody

Come on Ron.

I read Eric Hodson's piece some time ago where he says you introduced the Bolt Rig to this country.

Probably I was sea fishing then and wasn't part of the carp world.

So tell us now, PLEASE, how did it come about?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

This requires an article, not a post on a thread.

If I feel the readers won't be bored, I'll do it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Sod the readers, Ron.

It needs documenting, just do it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Part of it is documented in Kev Clifford's Book: "A History of Carp Fishing", although Kev get's the dates a little wrong.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Ron, stop protesting and let them hear it from ''the horses mouth''. What's wrong with you man, it's not like you to hide your light under a bushel!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have made a start at the article. It will be with Graham shortly, including diagrams.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think you are wasted Ron-thats a great article for my money and I'm pleased youv'e been persuaded to go into print-have you got any more of these up your sleeve...........I can almost feel a'book'coming on and I am putting my name down for a signed copy...............and whats a'bushel'anyway?

Let's hear it for Ron chaps!!!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I'll get Graham to rectify the 100 years to 100 yards.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>slime monster wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>interesting stuff i suspect the 100year cast was a slip of the keyboard /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

He must have been around long enough for it to have now landed. /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

So, your SA bolt rig being based on the paternoster was more like the modern helicopter rig without the helicopter bit, i.e.: it was fixed?

Whatever, it's the theory and principle behind it I guess and now you've documented it, it's there for all time, like I said. Let others pick the bones out of it, but you've got your two-penn'orth in already. Well done Ron.

Might have guessed Walker would creep in somewhere though. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nothing like a helicopter rig.

More like a paternoster using 3 way swivels.

Walker thought it would never work.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just trying to compare it with a modernised method, Ron. The fact is the lead is on the end and the hooklength comes off up the line, paternoster style. One hooklength on the helicopter, but two on your SA original.

You might not see it that way, but that's how it sits in my mind.

Bit like the stret-pegging /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

Like I said though, it's documented now.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There were a few variations of course. One of them entailed half a house brick or other suitably sized rock and a length of cotton thread.

At the end of the line was tied a 3 way swivel with two short hooklinks to the bent hooks used. The bent hooks were invariably baited with maize grains.

A 2 foot length of cotton was tied to the end of the line and them tied to the brick. Then the whole lot was rowed out to deep water, sometimes a distance in excess of 200 yards. Then over the side of the boat went the bag of tricks and a call to shore of"Trek Styf" (Pull Tight) was made. At the same time, a large amount of fermenting maize mash was dumped into the water. The whole lot was repeated several times depending on how many kids the angler had brought with him (they were too young to fish but were still allowed two rods. I once counted 20 rods staked out!).

Anglers who fished this way were mainlyof "poor white" stock who lived near Pretoria. All fish caught were eaten of course.

W

Wolfman Woody

"and a call to shore of"Trek Styf" (Pull Tight) was made."

Doesn't anyone speak flippin' English out there?

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Finding people who spoke English in some of the places I used to fish was like trying to find a Yorkshireman in Merseyside.