Do you fish in Wales? Important.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Copied from the FFF:
-----------------------
Gentlemen, can I draw your attention to a meeting at the Builth Showground being held on the 15th Sept at 11am with the intention of formulating a " "Plan of Protection" for the inland waterways of Wales.

Many of you will know that the WAG minister John Griffiths has announced a review of current legislation concerning public access to rivers {and land come to that}.

Members of the Angling Trust, C.A. and the Welsh and National Farmers Unions, among others will be there and the meeting will be open to questions from the floor. More on the RWGA website.
(See Daily reports for Aug 22nd
Wye Daily Fishing Reports)

Be there. We need you.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, I do, but not so often now, after some online trouble with Dafydd-come-lately me-too sewin (sea-trout) fishers. For a few years, as a young man, I actually owned a piece of very fine sea-trout and salmon fishing in Wales, and had access to many miles of both private and club water on several rivers in addition. People, as I did in my teens and twenties, forty years ago, might just be starting to realise now that Wales is not England, both place and people a very fine but different kettle of fish altogether.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a land with a long history and equally long memory. It's about people, community, fair play; still tribal. I was watching the video on my computer of Wales 'doing' England in the Six Nations again the other week: I felt the passion and the pride.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Indeed it is - any country that can give Dylan Thomas and Richard Burton is just fine by me.

But as for "that" match? Can't bring myself to undergo the pain again, once was enough!! :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the great battles of history: Thermopylae, Alexander The Great v. The Rest, 1066, Stalingrad etc.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Yes, indeed but only army turned up with the Gott mit Uns mind set - I don't mind losing to a better side but mental weakness and gutless play, a complete laissez faire attitude ?

Not good enough in a Six Nations decider. As you say, a Six Nations decider is the Tractor Factory, Stalingrad - fight, die, kill but wimp out and cry off?

Niet, Tovarich, niet........:)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I couldn't care a flying fish about the now almost universal "Oo d'ya support?" mindset and the ideologies and politics and snobbery that often accompany so much of sport and other real-world stuff (particularly in England); I watch it for the commitment and the excitement and the play.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Agreed - but as long as the supporting is done properly, the Six Nations is one of the world's great sporting tourneys.

I'm lamenting an abyssmal English performance that day but I do agree with you, the Welsh played with verve, passion and commitment.

Where I come from, you're red or blue. Simple as. Your best mate can be in the opposite camp. It doesn't matter. The bragging rights are there to be won and lost and if the Bluenoses turn us over, the very best of luck to them until the next time.

There are places in the world like Argentina and even Glasgow where the wrong team colours can get you hung from a lamp-post.

People knock Liverpool but you know what? If the rest of the world understood sport and behaved as Liverpudlians do, the world would be a far, far better place.

You're right, Paul. It's sport, nobody has to die over it. A bit of banter on the Monday morning and then on to the next game. It's time the world caught up with Merseyside's lead - and I'm proud to say that!!

:)

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Anyway, Paul - it's bit off-topic. I guess I should shut up. :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love the game, you see, as I do Angling. I would love to see both Italy and Argentina become frighteningly good at Rugby Union, if only to beat the living carp out of South Africa and Australia on a regular basis - we all have to do that.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I totally agree, I'd love to see Italy stronger in the Six Nations - they seem to come on and then fall back a bit after a couple of years.

Hopefully, both nations will progress.

(Still hope England win though......:D )

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And I support England 99% of the time, against anyone (including Wales if it's lost the plot and hopeless - not for me "My country, right or wrong"). "Basically" Rugby Union is about taking out the All Blacks and giving lovely little but totally disconnected ("Nothing but our sport") New Zealand a much-deserved reality check. What is it about people - us, them - who define themselves through sport: win and we're the world's best, virtually the Master Race; lose and we're down there with politicians, bankers, cockroaches and estate agents....? I dunno.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Totally agree, Paul - for me, it's about the dream. How many times, in my dreams, was it me that collected JPR Williams' pass and dived over that line and NOT Gareth Edwards??

It's NOT about domination, better than, anything like that, it's about having a laugh with your mates and a bit of banter on the Monday morning then on with life.

That's maybe the saddest thing about sport today, the mercenary attitude of those lucky enough to be granted the necessary talents because as Yeats put it "tread softly, for you tread on my dreams". :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Totally agree, Paul - for me, it's about the dream. How many times, in my dreams, was it me that collected JPR Williams' pass and dived over that line and NOT Gareth Edwards??

It's NOT about domination, better than, anything like that, it's about having a laugh with your mates and a bit of banter on the Monday morning then on with life.

That's maybe the saddest thing about sport today, the mercenary attitude of those lucky enough to be granted the necessary talents because as Yeats put it "tread softly, for you tread on my dreams". :)

"...tread softly, for you tread on my dreams"

Yes. Very much so.

Good old W.B.Y.

Here is one of my life-long favourites of his - "The Song of Wandering Aengus":

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;

And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

As for Wales, it will be seeing me before too long - with bass fly tackle and the same for salmon on a piece of water I still have access to.

Anything to avoid the crowds.

Bit of William "Jerusalem" Blake before I go:

Great things are done when men and mountains meet;
This is not done by jostling in the street.

aebitim

Reaction score
After recent threads regarding water users other than anglers I would have thought there would be a little more interest in this thread, a few of us fish the Wye and the potential problems that open access to the river would cause is certainly worth thinking about, if not actually doing something.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Here's more from Washington on the FFF:
This looks very dangerous.
------------------------------

With regard to my recent posts regarding the Welsh Assembly's efforts to get more access to rivers I have just read a paper compiled by Plumpton College under the auspices of Brighton University and for use by the Assembly in its deliberations. It is "An Evaluation of the Splash Grant Scheme" and it has particular interest in "Voluntary Access Agreements". I cannot speak for other rivers but the section on the Wye is so misleading as to be a complete travesty. The fact that such a paper will be used in the formulation of government policy is an outrage. I have tried to contact the two people evidently concerned with the compilation of this document but they are both on holiday. I will be contacting the Assembly official concerned and let everyone know how I get on.

The paper is available to read on a link via the RWGA website. RWGA Index
====
There is now a huge amount of documentation washing about the internet concerning the intentions of the WAG to implement a water bound right to roam. So much so that it is becoming impossible for the RWGA website to publish it all and even if we could the sheer volume would put people off. It is becoming increasingly obvious that WAG and minister Griffiths are intent on implementing this irrespective of any contrary argument.

I understand that due to continued efforts one or two angling representatives have managed to gain access to the proposed meeting on Sept. 5th. We will endeavour to keep everyone up to date on what's happening.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Thank you. I must admit I'm feeling as bit chuffed :)
No, I wear a Panama in Summer and a Fedora in Winter. Keeps my bald bit protected! Have to resort to a baseball cap if its windy though.

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"

Here is one of my life-long favourites of his - "The Song of Wandering Aengus":

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;

And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

One of the editor's favourites too! A thread about Yates, angling in Wales and the great game - how marvellous!