Anglers Mail

Iceman

Reaction score
Read on here abut the Carp tips 2008 published by Anglers Mail that was going on sale on July 1st in Tescos for the first 6 weeks then on general sale , so off I hop to local Tescos ( even left it til the 2nd ) and no one knows a thing about it ,over the next 3 days I tried 3 other branches of Tesco , 2 near by and one in Sheffield while vsisting my kids no luck . Emailed Anglers Mail almost 2 weeks ago and aint heard a thing back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone seen this publication in their Tescos ?

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I saw it.....looked at the price, put it back and had a steak instead!

ggh

Reaction score
........and me! (Angling Times not Anglers Mail)

You can have it if you email me your postal address.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
It is in a lot of Tesco stores but not all of them, if you can't find it call 0203 148 3300 and they'll be able to tell you where your nearest stockist is.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

2008 carp tips, thats some boaring reading, wheres my copy of War and Peace/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Just to show I'm even-handed, Greg /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Iain Riley

Reaction score
how many ways to catch the same carp . I love carp fishing but can only read the same thing put in a slightly differnt way so many times, unless your a compleat beginer / novise or thick how many times do people need to read the same thing, the idea is to out think the fish it can,'t be that hard water craft helps yes that comes though fishing maybe for years , bait helps trial and error .But carp are eatting machines it,s not that hard now days most (sorry)mabe not not are instant fishermen i hope not i'm 40 and i learnt on the river with me grandad at Evesham from the age of 4 when i fell in and its been bloody hard work but fun what are the insant fishers getting out of it yes some will become fully fledged anglers but to most its about who can rip the mouth out the fish with the heavyest tackle and the biggest bivvie to me thats not fishing at the one pool the other week a group of insant carpers turned up at7 O clock in the morning set up spent 3 hours spodding then got pissed for the day eather sleeping or shouting or fireing boilies at each other theres got to be more important thing for the instant generation to be doing like playing an X box or trying to open a carton of milk.....

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I'm not going to bite John, you'll have to get your presentation better than that to catch me!
What i will say in response to Iain is that from all our reader surveys the thing that always comes out that people want lots of is tips on how to catch more fish and Carp Tips provides this and also has stuff that is different. The reason i interviewed people such as Pete Springate was to get a different slant on things.
Can understand if it isn't for you but I'm sure plenty of anglers will learn from it and we have already had some very positive feedback.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
As I said in the review, I expected yet another carp magazine, but this offering from Angler's Mail was up a notch or two from the norm and had a good spread of beginner, intermediate and advanced stuff, plus excellent photography.

Of course it won't suit everyone, but it will be appreciated by many of those who are interested in carp and those who are not can read something else.

It won't do anything for Iain and others of similar experience as they apparently have nothing else to learn, but let's not forget that there are plenty of anglers who are learning all the time and will, I reckon, scoop up this offering from AM and love it.

As for repetition, angling and every other sport will always have certain aspects of it that get repeated over and over again in the media. It's inevitable, unavoidable and necessary for those who are just coming into the sport.

If anyone has a formula for producing a fishing magazine or website that has nothing repetitive in it then they should get it published asap; they'll make a fortune as no one has managed it yet.

For those of us in the real world who realise that a certain amount of repetition is unavoidable then we accept it and buy magazines with that in mind.

For those who can't accept that, or think that they have nothing else to learn (I wish!) then the answer is simple - don't buy one.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Graham,
Good point about always having something to learn. I have spent the last 15 or 16 years fishing a number of the Colne Valley big fish waters and have been lucky enough to fish with some very good anglers - not necessarily ones that people have heard of as they don't all publicise their catches - but during writing the interview-style part of the Carp Tips I still picked up some useful tips from the anglers i spoke to.
Often it is just that some people have a different way of looking at certain things and then when you see what they're doing it seems so obvious but isn't something you'd done before.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Although I've been fishing for about 60 years I've always realised that almost every angler I've fished with knows something that I don't about fishing. It may have been a major thing or a very minor one, but it's always been something worth knowing and remembering.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I've found it is often the little things that can make a big difference and most seem blindingly obvious once you've been shown them. Even things that don't exactly fit in with your own fishing can often be adapted or even improved once someone has got you thinking along the right lines.

Specihunter

Reaction score
wanting to fish rivers and canals it has helped give me a basic understanding to tackle these areas.

Deanos

Reaction score
Although I tend to post comments/articles on the more "comical" aspects of angling, I wanna say this........

The Anglers Mail is a good "live" and informative publication. I darn well like it, learn a lot from it, and look forward to it!

Keep up your good work all the team who put it together, great job.

I haven't had the carp supplement yet, but look forward to this as much as the weekly read.

Proper Bo!...Deanos.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

In fairness Garry I didn't see AM that week, the outlets close to me very seldom do have the Mail on their shelves.

Anything that makes betteranglers has got to be good,when its free then its even better.(it's just the word 'carp' that puts shivers up my spine)AND A.M. gets myclub new members by regularly featuring our waters in 'where to fish', thanks.

colsmiff

Reaction score
so what if magazines contain "repetetive" information? Not everyone is lucky enough to have a mentor/teacher from whom to learn all the tricks of the trade; I for one am almost completely self-taught from books, magazines and lots of experimentation. Having basics repeated in magazines is good for revision, especially if you haven't been able to pick up a rod for a couple of years and are a bit rusty. So now, tell me where I can get hold of a copy in Ireland!

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Love them or loathe them these type of publications are instruction manuals designed (hopefully) to get your brain working and to encourage you to experiment with different methods or rigs. Only by experience can we become better anglers.

Of course the 'instant carpers' won't buy these mags - they know everything already and don't need any help. They are intelligent, very clever and can tell you the cubic capacity of a jar of boilies - they just can't get the top off!