water ski-ers--- what would your reaction be.

flightliner

Reaction score
There you are, running a stic float downriver. The skimmers and roach are just beginning to respond and its looking good for a nice bag of fish.
A speedboat appears and runs thro your swim with the guy at the wheel just noticing you as he goes by pulling his partner on ski's. Its all perfectly legal, the club has been there for decades.
The boat returns but this time all the turning and showboating is done right in front of you and in your swim killing it for good.Lots of reach above and below where there are no other anglers
Its almost that they need an audience and its you. no matter that they have just ruined your day.:eek:

C

chefster

Thats one of the reasons i dont fish rivers and canals anymore.Nothing you can do-just put up with it,,they,ve got as much right to be there as you!

ravey

Reaction score
Had one of the larger cruisers 'see' me fishing away recently on the Trent, and I heard him give it full throttle to try to swamp me as he went past. He even slowed down afterwards - he clearly did it for my 'benefit'. Never had that before...what a small minded person.

I remember the big Whittaker barges/tankers that used to ply the middle Trent...now they really could swamp you if you were not careful or quick enough. Haha!

flightliner

Reaction score
Had one of the larger cruisers 'see' me fishing away recently on the Trent, and I heard him give it full throttle to try to swamp me as he went past. He even slowed down afterwards - he clearly did it for my 'benefit'. Never had that before...what a small minded person.

I remember the big Whittaker barges/tankers that used to ply the middle Trent...now they really could swamp you if you were not careful or quick enough. Haha!

Hi Ravey-- hows it going up your end ?
Yes, theres nothing you can do but at times such as were last friday it would have been a nice gesture to do all the fancy dan stuff a little further away from the one angler (me) presant on more than a mile of reach. (I clocked it in the car). As said I dont deny their right to enjoy themselves as its a big water but it was pretty selfish what they did in my opinion.
I,ve had it before on the Trent and no doubt it will happen again. The thing is (Raveys bit now)is that unlike the ski-ers which can and do kill any chance of catching stone dead the old bargees of old and new only put sport off for a little time before being coaxed back into feeding-- I'll include pleasure craft here also.
Its also my understanding that skiers are not allowed to start until four pm but these guys started at two forty five.
I,ll stand being corrected on that last point if i'm wrong but I seem to remember hearing it said in the dim and distant.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not what I would do, but what a friend of mine did when were badly and repeatedly and "Eff you!" cut up by a big black speedboat with two mega-Mercury outboards out of Essex whilst mullet fishing a Welsh estuary in the summer of 1987.

My companion was Gordon Edwards of Royalty swim and centrepin fame, and the very best of friends but the worst of enemies if you were foolish enough to mix it with him.

Gordon, then, would have been a very fit and active seventy-five.

So we had had a lot of showboating speedboat trouble, its driver showing off to some women on a nearby harbour quay.

Gordon had a quiet, very polite word with the man as he slowed once and drifted past us.

Very foul language from Mr Speedy.

Gordon turned to me (we were sat just feet apart floatfishing a breadmash-baited swim) and said calmly but through gritted "Right, Paul, I'm going to have that canute."

Mr Speedy made one very big mistake that night: he left his black monster moored to a buoy ten yards or so off the quayside.

So Gordon appeared at 2.00am the following morning with a large handrill with very large bit, waded out to the mooring, put six holes in Mr Speedy's pride and joy and sank it.

Mr Speedy, his boat and his awful women had gone by the time we fished the afternoon ebbtide.

mick b

Reaction score
A full pouch of maggots has been known to have the desired result, especially if your 'deaf' and don't notice the arrival of the boat as you feed your swim! :wh

A very old friend of mine once referred to water skiers as 'people who think they are living in a Martini advert' :w

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's just one of the negative aspects of parts of the tidal Trent. You either suck it up or go elsewhere. Getting into an argument with them does you no good whatsoever, so you may as well not bother. Firing stuff at them when they are quite entitled to be doing what they are doing where they are doing it (though perhaps not at the speeds they sometimes do it at), is only likely to land the angler in hot water.

flightliner

Reaction score
A full pouch of maggots has been known to have the desired result, especially if your 'deaf' and don't notice the arrival of the boat as you feed your swim! :wh

Years ago a big open match on the Witham used to co-incide with the annual lincoln/boston boat race where all the boats had multiple crews. Very often some irate matchman would do as you say and it resulted on more than one occasion in the boats crew threatening to come ashore and sort the offender out.
These were fit young men -- not a wise thing to do but I understand that many would have the compulsion.
Last week I simply turned my back on the boaters and started to pack up, it crossed my mind that maybe one of them might just have thought "Oh! we've given cause for that angler to have to stop fishing" and maybe, just maybe felt a little guilty but then I thought---- na'!:(
I didnt waste the day afterwards as I stayed a little longer and-- always having my loppers handy cut out a couple more swims from the long grassy banksides.:eek: