using a shot above the float

C

Cakey

Im halfway through reading Mark and Grahams book on pole fishing

and they are talking about shotting above the float on page 106 and the two pictures on page 107

what I dont understand is where this shot sits when youve shipped out

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I presume its the same as placing a shot above a stick float in windy conditions to sink the line to prevent the float (and bait) being blown about and keep control , but I havn't used it with a pole setup myself.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I've used backshotted floats on the pole in very windy conditions. It works to a large extent, and I prefer to backshot rather than stick the end of my pole under water, which is another method of sinking line above the float.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The theory is the same for both a back-shotted stickfloat as a pole float.

You maintain much better line control and thereby bait presentation.
Not an easily mastered technique but once accomplished the results are very good.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
If the conditions are rough enough you can use up to a BB on the line. The weight take care of most of the pole tip movement thus allowing the pole float to sit a lot stiller in rough conditions.

Smaller size 10 and 8 shots are used to sink the line betweeen the tip of the pole and the float to miminize surface tow and drag

slime monster

Reaction score
i use 3 no 6 bunched together to avoid roach grabbing the shot a common problem especially if hemp is being fed ,the wieght of the shot draws the float towards the pole tip i like it set about 8 inches from the tip with 6 inches in the water and 18 inches to 2 ft to the float with the pole well supported care has to be taken when shipping the pole to avoid tangles

C

Cakey

Im lost now so if I put a bb on do I let this sit in the water ?

C

Cakey

Im asking because I thought a bb would sink most pole floats Ive seen.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Cakey yes a BB will sink a normal pole float but what you are missing is the fact you have a long line between the pole tip and the float sometimes 1M. The split shot will drop directly below the pole tipthe move ment of the pole as its moved by the wind is absorbed by the shot and not by the float.

C

Cakey

so the pole holds the weight in the water not the float by george I think Ive got it

good job Im not a pole angler....just reading the book !

cheers Ian

slime monster

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>mat k wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Another method is to use lead core to the float.</blockquote>
hi mat knowing not a lot about leadcore intrigued by your post , please explain

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"hi mat knowing not a lot about leadcore intrigued by your post , please explain"

Why on earth would I wish to go to the trouble and expense of leadcore from pole tip to float when a size 8's, 6's or larger will do the same job?

slime monster

Reaction score
peter,was that post for me or mat my thoughts are that lead line would sink and the float would [given enough line]sit hard against the pole thus my post offered without offence in case mat had some innovative idea

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
slime monster,

On re-reading, maybe my post was a little abrupt, so I'm sorry if it was taken the wrong way.

Having watched the video clip, (thanks mat) I would still prefer the back shot over adding another knot or link in my rig necessary to add the leadcore.