Fluro hook links

Paul F

Reaction score
What breaking strain do you use when fishing a fluro hook link with a bolt rig. I've had some snap off's when the fish bolts with 6 l/b Vanish while fishing for tench.

Nathan

Reaction score
Maybe go up to 12lb if you getting snapped off. I assume you're using a semi fexied rig rather than a true bolt rig? Fish safety and all that /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Vanish" is particularly weak once knotted; assume it to losealmost half its strength. Test each rig with a spring balance, and if it will pull half its quoted b.s., use it, but only as being three pound b.s. (in this case).

I'd try another brand, but test it first, and test real rigs - all fluorocarbons seem to hate being bent through the hook's eye (as in knotless knot rigs) and part a bit above the hook - and believe your scales, not the label!

Specihunter

Reaction score
have a look at the carp ranges fox, korda, nash drennon/esp and jrc there's will be alot better for your fishing.

Reaction score
Vanish has always been problematic in any breaking strain. Throw it away! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Disagree with Speci completely... Only carp fluoro worth a look is Korda extra soft, and that's not as good as the alternatives.

The best fluoro on the market is designed for game fishermen (I've got to thank Ron Clay for that tip!). Try Riverge, Airflo Sightfree etc instead.

Also what knots are you using? Never use a figure of eight they are fatal. Palomar/ knotless knotall the way.

Specihunter

Reaction score
****y i only use korda but in fairness i named a few more brands just to be safe.