Floodwater Aftermath on the Severn

Lark

Reaction score
Nice piece ****y - it's very disconcerting when a river that you know, love and pretty much understand through hard work and years of application becomes a total stranger.

We weren't hit as hard as you, but badly enough though. Whenever I'vefishedthe Thamesthis season, it's beenlike starting all over again on a brand new river.

Watching swathes of carp spawning in the gravel shallows earlier this summer and other strange sites such as ghost-carp cruising the margins with pike - it's very bizarre.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
It`s the same what ever river you fish or hold deep and fond memories of....floods are horrible things but devistation and carnage also bring new life and opportunities.

Many thanks for a fine read ****y.

C

Cakey

nice one ****y...........................must get some of that new camo

Lark

Reaction score
I appreciate what your saying Nick, but last year's flooding seems to have had an effect of the likes I've not experienced in 40+years.

Some of the flooding we've had over the years, even some of the seriousones, have had the effect of cleansing andrejuvination but it's a bugger's muddle after lastsummer.

I keep going back to fish it in the hope that I'm there when it switches on...... Could be a bit of a wait. Let's hope not.

E

EC

A very well balanced piece that mate. Makes you think what the long term implications are though!

Reaction score
Thanks chaps,

It's almost surreal enjoying'usual' summer weather/ conditions on the river this year, last season was ferocious.

It is, though,a weird time on the Severn. Most of that initial flush of carp have disappeared. I presume they have moved downstream to the giant weirpools, but I don't know. Some have clearly stayed, I had three to 10lb whilst breaming during opening week... but other things are clearly afoot.

I was fishing a favourite big barbel swimlast week(without luck), and saw a small (2ft 6") catfish swan straight past me, bold as brass, a rod length out with it's head and body partially submerged.

It was definitely a cat, I've seen lamprey, eels and grass snakes enough times to know the difference.

Ithink we've all got a lot of surprises in store from our rivers infuture seasons, andgiven the massive influx ofinvasive species, I don't believe it is tenable or acceptable anymore for anglers to try their own primitive (clonking!) methods of population control.

Alien they may be, but they are now permanently resident in our rivers.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
****y,

I just sat back and let out a deep sigh after reading that mate, the long-term impact is unknown and in the hands of the river gods, I just hope things turn out alright.

In my experience I have noticed that dominant fish push out other species, the species are not gone they have simply moved, but a season later they might return.

Fingers crossed it wont take too long forthe balance to be restored.

I hope the cat was a loner!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A class piece of writing from a thinking angler. That was a great read ****y and thought provoking. It's great to catch fish but in the "right place" at the "right time".

You're wrong about the eels though! The 5% are definately residing in the Dorset Stour, I currently can't avoid them!

R

Robert Woods

I saw quite a change on Severn above Shrewsbury after 8 years off (fell in love.../forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif). Banks reshaped, trees missing & new trees growing. Not as many swims cut out...less anglers...???

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A good article that ****y and a very good description af the aftermath of a big flood on what is one ofthe biggest and best of our rivers. Well done mate.

Over the 50 odd years I have fished the Severn I have seen some incredible changes both in the fishing and the banks, nothing ever stops the same in nature, it is forever evolving and the Severn is no exception. Every high water gauges out a bit of bank, topples trees that are rooted near the edge that was once a favoured chub swim, removes and establishes those fish holding snags this is what nature does as a matter of course. Very big floods such as the one we had last year creates massive changes and one of the worst from the anglers point of view is that it forces out fish in what was once a prolific stretch and it can be quite a long period before they settle into a different stretch. I know of at least two stretches that were among my favourite haunts where you can't buy a bite now, the fish have been moved on but though some will have perished the vast majority will still be in the river but in a different location.

The Severn after a big flood is an ugly river, the banks are scoured, litter hanging like candles on a christmas tree and an air of depression almost, hangs over it, come the following spring though and the banks are covered in growth hiding all evidence of the previous years damage and the river is once again changed the way mother nature intends it to be.

Don't you just love it though mate?

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Cheers ****y, one of the best articles i'veread on this website in a long time!

It's all to easy to forget the floods of last year, i couldn't get out on my local Trent for something like 4-6 weeks as it was too risky going it alone. The ironic thing is now we all want rain as the rivers are too low!!!

Steve Lockett

Reaction score
If it's full of carp now, I'll come up and have a go, sounds great! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I still find it hard to believe that Jim has moved on and no longer wears his orange B&B. Sad days indeed. Next you know he'll be able to cast straight every time. lol

Everywhere I go this year people are catching eels, now that's good news as long as Ramsey leaves a few to get back out to sea.

Serious head on now.Graham,there is a big difference between natural changes year on year to a river and enforced environmental changes due to the blinkered 'carp at all costs' attitude of the mass of this country's anglers.

Although I tend to fish for carp on match carp style venues, I firmly believe in diversity and the protection of our natural habitat. We must be able to keep carp contained in the puddles where they belong.

Too many venues around the World have suffered the effects of knowing and/or unwitting carp stocking.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Don't think for one minute I approve of carp in rivers because I don't, apart from the ones that have been there for donkeys years of course but I suppose it is inevitable because of the proximity of carp fisheries to the Severn. I was commenting more on the affect of the flooding rather than the influx of carp.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
How did the original carp get into the river in the first place, were they stocked or was it the result of a flood, anyone know?

R

Robert Woods

Could it be by birds transfering fish eggs on their legs...???

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
Nice read ****y, well done fella.

I think you have summed up the Lower quite nicely.

As a lower Severn regular (normally from Sept on), and also someone who runs a syndicate on the Lower, I'm waiting with baited breath as to how she's going to fish this season.

The early signs aren't good, but its still too soon for me to make rash judgments.

I now have a boat, so I'll be doing plenty of feature finding this Autumn, probably at the expense of my fishing, but it should be worth the effort in the coming seasons.

In contrast, the middle has been quite spritely, with the exception of the first week or so.

Steve

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk

www.midlandriveranglers.yuku.com

R

Robert Woods

Herons wade in shallow water, so it's a possibility. How did fish get in variuos landlocked ponds & lakes before anglers stocked them...???