How did everyone get on then?

C

chefster

You must have worn out that same barbel photo you keep posting every week,seriously Steve thats a nice mixed bag,i,ve had a decent week ,2 matches-one net of 113 lb and one of 87 lb, not winning weights but enjoyable days,cheers then,Gaz:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hard work Thursday 'up in the water' for the carp on a local pit - managed to mug 7 mid/big doubles on the odd occasions when the sun went in and a bit of ripple appeared on the water.

nicepix

Reaction score
Didn't fish the weekend due to having friends stop over on their way back to the UK. I've got just over two weeks before the next lot arrive.

Did a session on the river after catfish. I had planned to bait fish a deep hole under some trees I'd found when wading & spinning last week but just as I was setting off I saw my Siberian neighbour heading off down the lane and so I changed plans. I didn't want him to see where I was fishing in case he ate the fish before I caught it. So I went down to the other end of the estate and fished the top of a large weir. Only had a kitten of around 6lb. Smallest catfish I've seen so far.

When I got home little wife told me that Alexandra had caught a 'big feesh' and I had to go see it. By the time I got there it was gutted and laid in the bath. That is eight or nine 20lb ish catfish he's eaten from a 150 metre stretch in three months. Good job we're moving at the end of the month as there'll be none left next year. He still hasn't caught the 'River Island' 22lb fish though so my brother-in-law might yet get a crack at it.

Had another evening session on a small part of a big lake. The carp are under a near 100% blanket of Canadian pondweed. It's like ice fishing in that I cast into a hole in the weed and hang on tight when I get one on. I had two carp, both mid teens. I think the bigger ones have left the area due to it dropping a bit colder during the last few nights. I packed up hurriedly at about 7:30pm, jogged back to the car, threw the tackle in and drove about 3km to a different part of the lake where I have found a very deep channel under a line of trees. It is the old stream bed that was flooded when the lake was created. I tried a string of three 22mm pellets free lined under the rod tip until it was too dark to see the line. I had some sort of bite. The line slackened and I lifted into nothing. That's becoming a regular occurrence there. Its either a very wary catfish or something else I can't imagine.

Third session of the week was a couple of hours in an evening quiver tipping for barbel above the large weir. While fishing for catfish the last time I'd seen barbel rolling at one side of the long island just upstream of the weir. Sadly all I caught were bream but I did see another barbel so there is hope for another session.

Terry D

Reaction score
Another "watching the paint dry" match for me. Only 4 turned up, I won with 3lbs 2oz, 1lb clear of 2nd place and I reckon I won after the first 2hrs as very little was caught in the next 4hrs.

aebitim

Reaction score
Only managed a couple of short bass sessions, the grocks are begining to thin out at last. Managed to help a youngster catch his first bass, a respectable 2lb fish which he promptly returned before his dad could take a photo.
Should be more interesting next week as off on my travels again.

pidgergj

Reaction score
i went to a local club water and had 9 mirror carp 5-9lb on the feeder, using 8mm boilies :)

Mart Smith

Reaction score
Just returned from 2 weeks in a cottage in Hickling, Norfolk. Managed to squeeze in 4 or 5 sessions in between family trips to the beach etc.
Spent most of my time either on the Thurne at Potter Hiegham or on the Ant at Ludham bridge. Had some cracking perch and roach, the bigger ones falling to caster or red worm. Plenty of skimmers on the feeder, with a few 2lb+ bream showing as well. Also had a lot of fun using a £5.99 5m whip - nothing like being a tackle tart, eh?

nicepix

Reaction score
Just back from an afternoon at the big lake. Took three rods.

First rod was a light quiver tip rod used with a 20g cage feeder and single grain of maize on the hook. Had loads of small bream from the first cast right through to dusk. It got that boring catching 2lb bream I started to experiment with artificial maize and hooking the mait different ways to see what effect if any it had on the catch rate.

Second rod was a 2lb tc carbel rod fished with double 22mm halibut pellets on a bolt rig cast just to the side of the bream feeding area. Got a 2lb bream on this and 5 minutes later had a 10lb mirror on the feeder rod :confused:

Third rod was a 3.5lb tc carp rod rigged up with a sliding ledger and clipped with no bail on. Had a small bream on that, but it was the deadbait :D Nothing disturbed it though :(

All in all a good afternoon out on the sunshine, shaded by a convenient bush. As I was packing up at dark I heard a noise that sounded just like my mate Bill when he's wading. As I know that he is in Barnsley and there are no hippos in the Charente I can only imagine that it was a herd of wild boar drinking nearby. I only had the bait catty so I didn't try to bag one.

nicepix

Reaction score
Hmmm... I've heard that about those French ladies :D

The bream sound greedy little buggers!

I could not possibly comment - except about the bream :D

Actually, the bream are more of a nuisance than the chub were on the Dearne. There are thousands of them and because the lakes are so lightly fished and the locals tend not to fish beyond the length of a roach pole as soon as my feeder goes in I reckon every bream in the lake makes a bee line for my swim. If I put my mind to it (and remembered t take a keepnet) I could have 200lb a session easily.

The biggest issue I have is that while mooching about waiting for their turn to take the maize hook bait they 'experiment' with the boliles and pellets on the other rod. These 2lb bream will kick the big bait around until they foul hook themselves, usually just outside the bottom lip. Then I get three or four bleeps as they shift the 3oz lead and surprisingly makes them swim upwards with the lead so when I strike they are nearly on the surface.

Bl00dy things :mad: