New Boots?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I bought a pair of rather expensive wellies, called Muckboots. They have had a lot of hard wear as I wear them everyday to walk the dog etc as well as for fishing. I was warned when I got them to avoid thorns as they are a softish neoprine and so can puncture - but I never had any problem with them at all until today. Not a thorn puncture but a crack in the sole which has appeared.
The same thing happened to my last winter-wellies, Derry-boots. Ho hum. Never mind, I got good use and value for money from them both but now it's time for a new pair. What are the recommendations? Nothing with laces please, I need to slip them on and off easily as I'm in and out of them all the time.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another pair of Muckboots Geoff. They are still the warmest & most comfortable "wellies" I've ever owned bar none. For the money I dont think they can be beaten & it will be a very cold day in hell before I pay much more than that for a pair of wellies.

B

binka

I'm pleased you brought this up Geoff as it was also on my agenda for the near future, I'd not heard of the Muckboots before and was leaning towards a pair of these which look pretty similar...

Wychwood Neoprene 3/4 Boots | eBay

Having read the recommendations I may well change my mind now :)

aebitim

Reaction score
A good pair of modern high ankle walkers and some spats...

terry m

Reaction score
I have Skeetex, but I have heard great things about Muckboots. I will certainly be checking them out next time I need a pair of boots.

As a by-the-by, I never begrudge spending out on replacement kit, when I feel I have had good wear and service from a failed item.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Geoff, I use these and they really are the best wellies i've ever had. I'm on my second pair now but they've lasted my several years already and they've been worn virtually everyday. They're still in tip top fettle today.

Aigle Parcours Iso Waterproof Wellington Boots | eBay

I don't think i've ever heard a bad report about them.

B

binka

They do look the biz Tigger and now it's confusing the issue for me but... £135.00 :eek:

And... I've never yet brought anything that uses the word "gusset" in the description ;) :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They do look the biz Tigger and now it's confusing the issue for me but... £135.00 :eek:

And... I've never yet brought anything that uses the word "gusset" in the description ;) :D

Yeah, I know they are expensive binka but belive my they really are worth it.
That price is way below their shop prices so is a good deal.
I always used to have royal hunters but a very good m8 of mine had a pair of these and told me they where better than the hunters. So when I had to get a new pair I took his word for it and got the aigles and he was right.

B

binka

Thanks for that, just in case I do have a sudden rush of blood and decide to go for them is the sizing realistic?

I'm thinking of going for an 11 even though i'm a size 10 to accommodate the winter Merino wool socks?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for that, just in case I do have a sudden rush of blood and decide to go for them is the sizing realistic?

I'm thinking of going for an 11 even though i'm a size 10 to accommodate the winter Merino wool socks?

I'd get the correct size what you would normaly take binka as the sizing is very good. I really don't think you'll need the socks m8, the boots are lined with neoprene and are pretty warm.
I suppose if you really did want to wear the thick socks you could get a size bigger but I wouldn't.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A couple of questions;

1. Do Muckboots come in half sizes?

2. If I buy my normal shoe size (9) are you saying they are generous enough to accommodate a reasonably thick sock which I like to use when walking any distance. I don't fancy going up another size and find they slip when walking

3. Are prices pretty much fixed regardless of where you buy them?

4. Are they just 'Muckboots' or are different models available (I would want the warmest!)

Thanks for your help....

B

binka

A couple of questions;

1. Do Muckboots come in half sizes?

2. If I buy my normal shoe size (9) are you saying they are generous enough to accommodate a reasonably thick sock which I like to use when walking any distance. I don't fancy going up another size and find they slip when walking

3. Are prices pretty much fixed regardless of where you buy them?

4. Are they just 'Muckboots' or are different models available (I would want the warmest!)

Thanks for your help....

Hi Tee-Cee...

I can't answer all of those but it does look like half sizes are available from their size chart here https://www.muckbootcompany.com/Pages/default.aspx

Whether or not half sizes are available in the UK I'm not sure but there is a "Where to buy" tab on their website with a UK retailer listed if it's something you can't find elsewhere.

It seems there are quite a few different types and i'm not sure which would be the warmest but Ebay has many listings at varying prices, I personally like the look of the Tay.

The Muck Boot Company Tay Green, Ideal for muddy countryside | eBay

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
In my experience size wise they take into account the fact that most welly wearers wear socks....by this I mean I'm a size 10 and my size 10's are spot on with a decent sock. I did have a chat with a guy before buying mine. He was happy to visit & for me to try various sizes. Very,very helpful guy and though he wasn't the cheapest he got the sale. Woolsthorpe Wellies I think...really helpful bloke & well worth a ring.

Warmth wise be careful what you wish for. Me & my mate Phil both have a pair of "standard" Derwent muckboots...Phil was so impressed he bought another top of the range pair and he says they are simply too hot to wear in all but the coldest weather. Not sure if they were the Tay's or the Spey's...something Scottish anyway.

B

binka

By an amazing coincidence I've just been reading the features on the Muck Boots and wondered what "vulcanised" rubber was and then Alan Partridge appears on the telly dancing in a rubber thong and explains that it's vulcanised which means it won't perish.

Useful... but not worth the trauma :eek: :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A vucanised rubber thong...the mind boggles!

..and what would Spock say..

Must ask the wife and see what she thinks...................................................

mick b

Reaction score
Four years ago I brought my first pair of Muckboots Tay (as used by the British Antarctic Survey Team) they are still going strong and I cannot recommend them enough.

They are always warm, I only wear one pair of walking socks and I never suffer from sweaty feet, they have a brilliant grip on the sole, and a lug at the back of the heel to assist in their removal.
I can stand for 8hours on the river bank and never suffer from aches or pains in my feet or ankles.

I got mine online from a shop 'up North' and phoned the guy before deciding which size to go for.

PS
I only fish October to March so cannot say what they are like for summer use.

aebitim

Reaction score
Just re read my post and have put walkers instead of muckers, the ankle stable muckers are much easier than wellies to put on and take off and good to walk in. Spats take seconds to put on if the grass is wet and you are going further.

P

pointngo

I've had my Tay Sport muckboots for 3 or 4 years now and they're still like new. Easily the warmest boot I've ever had. I only wear them when temps drop below zero though as they're too warm otherwise, although I'm always lure fishing so always walking. Much easier to walk in than skeetex as the soles aren't so thick.

for ultimate toastiness, I wear a pair of heat holder socks with them when it's really cold and/or I'm fishing stationary in the winter, and have warm feet even when it's -10°c. The heat holder socks are the dogs danglies if you suffer from cold feet.. even warmer than my Bridgedale Summit socks/thermal liner combo, and they're not as thick either.