Devon Angling Centre = Very poor service

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
Hi guys, had to share this with y'all...

Got back into fishing after years away....needed a new rod.....had some cash in Paypal....found this online shop that acceptsPaypal payment....

Paid for a Shakespeare Mach 2 Commercial rod on 26th June

A week later no sign of it....I emailed them...no reply

Phoned them to see what was the issue....a guy sounding stressed out and bewildered told me he would need to order some in as they were out of stock, I asked if I could have an Abu Esprit Mk 2instead...he didn't have those either.

He told me "I'll have them in by this friday"...

Now we're upto July 20th....emailed again....no reply

Rang them today( July 23rd ) a younger sounding guy expressed surprise at me having waited that long...took my number said he'd ring back in 5 minutes..

2 hours later... no reply....I rang again....the first guy answered and said...."oh they're not in stock..I'll have to order it from Shakespeare"

I tried to get the Abu Esprit Mk 2 off him again..but they were still out of stock too....

Shouldn't all that have been done last month ????????

He's told me I'll have it by this Saturday....I'm not very confident...

Here's their terms...

Our complaint procedure is reasonable and confidential and we will aim to respond to and respect all complaints within 24 hours of receiving the complaint. Please contact us by email, post or telephone. Once we have contacted you, we will keep you informed of the progress of your complaint and aim to have your complaint resolved within five working days, subject to stocks, deliveries and circumstances within our control.

Delivery Schedule We endeavour to deliver your order right away. We will normally send your order to you in 2 business days, subject to availability and shipping anomalies. International orders are generally received in less than 7 days. If items are not in stock please allow up to 28 days.

Back Orders: If your item is not in stock, we will back order for you. and should be delivered within 28 days subject to performace by our suppliers. In the event of non-delivery, please contact us by telephone on 01548 580888 in order to arrange a refund or discuss alternative products.

Barney 2

Reaction score
It would appear they have been sitting on your order - veryfrustrating for you.

Perhaps FM's powers that be could consider having "e-retailers" in the reviews section. Need only be something like they do on Amazon Marketplace - points one to five, giving a satisfaction percentage,plus a short comment. Good idea?

I could add a few, which so far have allbeen a good experience.

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
That's a great idea Barney....I'm always the first to praise good service....I much prefer to do that than complain.....but their couldn't care less lazy attitude sucks the big one ....

F

Frothey

Perhaps FM's powers that be could consider having "e-retailers" in the reviews section

could be wrong, but the amazon traders have to accept that as part of their contract - like e-bay. it could get messy (for magicalia) on a public forum as we only get to hear one side of the story. unless people state fact, not opinion.

BigRob

Reaction score
I think based on the above which is fact, this kind of feedback is good, and needed.

like all forums if someone posts something that isn't right etc, the mods will take it out,

You can tell if something is true or just pointless moaning about an e-tailer, however most moans will start from a problem.

I had purchased from Fishtec, twice and both times had problems,

1st order badly packed, 5L of pellets everywhere in the main box, and some items incorrect, also a delay delivery due to them being busy, as they say.

2nd order was also delay same reason, and had incorrect items. my local tackle shop offers a lot, but somethings you can't get, am now looking to try crazycarp.com.

There is also Forums for other things like pc's and IT where people post problems and the vendor get the chance to put in a reply and resolve things. giving them this opportunity might also be an idea

Barney 2

Reaction score
I have used crazycarp.com twice with no problems. In fact, last time I used them they called me towarn the banksticks I had ordered had been changed by the manufacturer and wanted to be sure they were stillsuitable for my purpose. They didn't sound sogood, so I was able to change the order for twisticks (but thats another story). The point being they couldn'thave beenmore helpful.

I will certainly use crazycarp.com again without hesitation.I also have hadtwo good buying experiences with fishingwarehouseshop.co.uk (just to show I don't work for crazycarp!)

I dobelieve in supportingmy local shopwhere I can, but they can't stock every item I might want!

Hope you get your rod in time for the weekend Lee!

Michal Felcyn

Reaction score
Devon Anglin Center is not worth our attention. I made the order in the beginning of November. No reply or contact came untill... (!) beginning of January! when they charged my VISA and... I was waiting for the delivery. The items arrived ... in March!!!! There were many small items, whole lot sth around 100 quid... I treat it as a stupid joke now after time has paased but NEVER EVER again I would order anything there. Do not need to mention I ranged them, emailed them and all this stuff with contact efforts were hopeless - promises, promises.... ILLUSIONS! Think twice before ordering there.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
I bought a reel off them a month or two ago. Payed via paypal.

Delivery took a little longer then I expected and I had to send them a few emails. They said they had the item in stock just hadn't dispatched it. Considering I was paying £5 p&p I wasn't particually impressed with that. It took just under two weeks to recieve it in the end.

On the plus side the reel was excellent and cheaper then elsewhere.

W

Wolfman Woody

On the other hand, <u>Devon CAMERA Centre</u> gave an excellent service on my order!

No relation, I suppose, which is a pity.

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
Well....seems they treat most of their customers with slight regard...

If the rod isn't here tomorrow I'm requesting a refund and I'll buy it from an ebay seller discounttackleireland who took only one day to send me 3 Polaris floats I ordered....sadly one was broken in the packet and he is sending me a replacement tomorrow and doesn't even want me to send him the broken one back....

that's what I call service

Lee Dobson

Reaction score
No rod today.....just had a refund and bought it from the Irish guys.....one month of the season wasted waiting......use Devon angling centre at your peril chaps...

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>its devon..... they're all related!</blockquote>

Ah yes, you can hear the duelling banjos even now.

Is there such a thing as a Devon bird with a full set of teeth?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It certainly puts one off of buying on-line-perhaps in the long run its better to buy from a shop and pay a bit extra-at least you walk away with the product!

HOWEVER,are these just isolated cases when the thousands of satisfied on-line buyers are considered?

I think Barney 2's idea of 'e-retailers in the reviews section' is a winner and would build up a fair picture after a time and consistently bad suppliers made to suffer.Otherwise come next week this will be old and forgotten news and others will get caught out!

It has to be simple and quick otherwise people will not bother.......

Carpless

Reaction score
Unfortunate when an internet order goes awry. Had a problem with anglingDirect a while back. I'm using Poingdestres now and i'd never turn back, even for a cheaper price.

dsr1

Reaction score
Over the last couple of years I have occasionally bought goods over the internet from Devon Angling Centre. I have nothing but praise for their excellent service. Goods ordered one day and here the next. In fact I always recommend them to my friends as their service is good and prices favourable.