Tackle shop closing times

kevoffthetee

Reaction score
Apologies as this one has probably been done to death

I understand that we shouldn't have to work all of our lives but I can't understand why tackle shops close at 5-5.30 meaning if we go fishing on a Saturday morning we can't get anything during the week. There is always go outdoors but their choice is fairly limited and knowledge even more so.

Surely one evening a week isn't too muc to ask

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have often wondered exactly how much trade your average (not on a commercial) tackle shoop gets on any weekday . . . . . .

Surely it would be better to be open when most people are off of work and early and late at the weekends?

pidgergj

Reaction score
i was shocked to find my local tackle shop closed on the last bank holiday monday, if i were the owner of the shop i would be working bank holidays without a doubt.

maybe these tackle dealers are earning too much money :)

C

chefster

my local tackle shop is near enough deserted all week,many times i,ve been in there in the week and there are never any customers ,friday night ,and saturday seem to be the two busiest times...he opens at 8 am,but is usually there at 7.30 ish every day,if i,m desperate for bait for a match,i ring him and he takes it home with him ,and i pick it up from his house,failing that i finish work early at 4.30 and pop in there,he,s always had these shop hours ,has tried a late night,but said it was,nt worthwhile,a lot of his trade now is relient on internet sales,which just about sums it up.....Chef

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

i was shocked to find my local tackle shop closed on the last bank holiday monday, if i were the owner of the shop i would be working bank holidays without a doubt.

maybe these tackle dealers are earning too much money :)

Maybe he wants a day off to go fishing,i know i would:D:D:D

pidgergj

Reaction score
my local tackle shop is near enough deserted all week,many times i,ve been in there in the week and there are never any customers ,friday night ,and saturday seem to be the two busiest times...he opens at 8 am,but is usually there at 7.30 ish every day,if i,m desperate for bait for a match,i ring him and he takes it home with him ,and i pick it up from his house,failing that i finish work early at 4.30 and pop in there,he,s always had these shop hours ,has tried a late night,but said it was,nt worthwhile,a lot of his trade now is relient on internet sales,which just about sums it up.....Chef

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Maybe he wants a day off to go fishing,i know i would:D:D:D

to be fair if i had my own shop id go bust because of taking days off for fishing so thats a fair point! :D

C

chefster

to be fair if i had my own shop id go bust because of taking days off for fishing so thats a fair point! :D

My local shop is a one man band ,so its understandable he does,nt want to be there 24/7,but the bigger store -type tackle shops could do it easily,with their staff working it on some sort of a weekly rota...Chef

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
if i'm desperate for bait for a match,i ring him and he takes it home with him ,and i pick it up from his house

There in lies the answer and another advantage of supporting your local tackle shop - service; above an beyond.

C

chefster

There in lies the answer and another advantage of supporting your local tackle shop - service; above an beyond.

Anything i can get from Dave @Castaways,Banbury,or Banbury Gunsmiths,i will,i am a big believer in supporting local shops...They give good discounts for loyalty,order items specially,provide good local up to date information on local venues,and offer helpful advice,it does,nt bother me if they want to work until 5pm,and close sundays and bank holidays..Chef

mick b

Reaction score
All that's required is an Asian to start running your local tackle shop and your prayers will be answered :D

Seriously, if you go to Weymouth their number one tackle shop opens at 06.00 if my memory serves me right, dunno when it closes but its open every day - superb owner and staff and the customers are there waiting for the shutters to go up every day the sea is not rough!

............~ <',))))={

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Try retail and see how you like it! I had a 15 year sentence. Thurs eve is reasonable I think, but more important having some stock in the first place. I made a special journey on Thurs in advance of a Ribble trip knowing the shop would have the stuff. The more convenient and bigger establishment had very little for me.

pezzatron

Reaction score
The high street on the whole is suffering the same problem. The trouble is that opening hours were established in a time when women didn't work and were free to do the necessary shopping during the day. We still abide by this timetable even though the shoe no longer fits. I work at a digital marketing company, we build websites for many local businesses who complain that their footfall is suffering due to online shopping (so they come to us for a website) , It's the same for all high street businesses, people prefer to shop in a store but they're simply not convenient enough due to an outdated model. If the high street as a whole were to adopt an approach that saw them open outside normal working hours then more people would shop. It's simple. Also, they could do themselves a service by opening on sundays, close on monday if they're a one man band. A high street that was open from 12 - 9 ish would give every local economy a much needed boost.

kickstart

Reaction score
Having lived in France, the one of the first things I noticed was that the shops were open when people could use them (common sense really)

In the UK, shops open when people start work and close when they finish work. No wonder the internet has taken off.

K

fruitowl

Reaction score
I work in retail were are 24 hrs mon to sat ppl come in at all times we have ppl who do main shops at 4 am because they work shifts or lates they like the fact that they park for free get everything they want and are done.
I do not say it's right but that's the way society is at the moment modern world.
for me a good example of old fashioned beliefs are school holidays set in a time when children helped with the harvests how long ago was that ?
not saying tackle shops should be 24 hr but need to review the leisure time and maximise business opportunity a change in thinking.

caesarson

Reaction score
I know its nice to be loyal to a local shop. But i find that i just what i need on a lunch time at the nearest tackle shop for the weekend. Or i have to get someone to collect fresh bait for me.

But as said earlier. The UK's opening hours are old fashioned. I live in Belgium and most places open from 08:00 to 20:00. But everything is shut on a sunday. Which is perfect.

fishingjack

Reaction score
Yes it's a pain. I would say they'd be better staying open for the 2 hours after offices close during week days.