Berkley Vanish Fluoro

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the use of flouro for hooklengths when after Chub and Barbel. Typically I fish with a feeder or straight lead and with a variety of hooklengths. In my quest for a some of the bigger Stour barbel, I've been experimenting with all sorts of different hooklength material.

However, I've now binneda couple of spools of Berkley Vanish as I've lost two fish (both chub) to breaks. They were not particularly big chub and were not from particularly challenging swims, the line just snapped under quite minimal pressure. I used the Palomar &/or Blood knots.

Was I just unlucky with a bad batch? Has anyone else a view on this particular product?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
In the (limited) tests I've done, "4lb" rigs break at about 2.5 lb if you're lucky. If you just halve the strength on the label...

I can't recall seeing a reviewer who had a nice word to say about the stuff, and although my own PB barbel (almost a double... sigh...) came to a 10 lb Vanish hooklength, I didn't give it any more wellly than I would have with 5lb Maxima.

I hardly bother with the stuff now; if you put it in water it's clearly visible, so whoever says it's the same refractive index as water has clearly never seen a glass microscope slide in xylol - well, they wouldn't, the R.I.s match perfectly - and doesnt have access to a refractometer.

A big own-goal on Berkley's part, I fear; what product of theirs can we trust, now?

Barney 2

Reaction score
I stand to be corrected here...

Are the knots you mentioned notcompression type knots? I thought that was not a good thing with flouro as it cuts into itself. If the bin men haven't arrived, perhaps try agrinner knot (and knotless if you want a hair) and test it by pulling with your scales.

It would be interesting to hear if the grinner solved the problem for you to be confident enough to try it on the Stour again.

gerry h

Reaction score
had the same issues neil ,and have not found a line i am to confident with since ultima extra disapeared off the shelves .am using infinity and drennan speci at the moment both seem ok the ars what they say on the tin

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil,

I think you need to decide whether you are fishing for chub or barbel - two different approaches, rigs etc. Ditch the Vanish!

For chub I use Krystonite in 8lbs and it's very reliable. For barbel I think most anglers are using braid and you need to find out which ones are best; I'm sure Cam will advise.

On the float for chub I now use Preston Grand Match Fluoro or some prototype Incognito (Kryston) in around 4 or 5lbs breaking strain. Care is needed on knots - figure of eight loops not overhand. From articles I did three years ago there was a lot of discussion on this and a thread search would turn up much more.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I can only add to the general concensus, Berkley Vanish is the most unreliable line I have ever used regardless of the knot used.

Try the Krystonite if you want a flouro (coated) mainline otherwise the fly leader made by Shakespeare (Sightfree) is the best flouro hook-length I've tried, as recommended by Ron Clay.

Oh and palomar knotsor knotless knots are fine with it.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
I've used Vanish for the past few seasons in 8 & 10lb breaking strains and never had an issue which is really weird after reading the above posts.

I use a knotless knot and a palomar and i can't remember losing a fish due to the line breaking.

Did you lot get a dodgy batch or am i just lucky?

keora

Reaction score
Berkely Vanish is unreliable. After losing two carp on 8lb Vanish, I checked its actual strength.Using a grinner knot, the strength was only 6lb.

I've found Drennan lines to be reliable. Daiwa TDR, which is fairly new, is also good.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what length hokklength do you all generally use?

I tend to use 2 1/2 to 3 foot hook lengths when barbel fishing and ensure that the knot is really wetted down. Just wondering if it's something to do with the lack of stretch really?

Morespiders

Reaction score
When Vanish first came out ,loads of fly fishers used it, myself and most of the lads I know, not one of us still use it, found it most unreliable. all been binned

Reaction score
Trevor, you must be MAD to recommend this to anyone, you must have had the only half decent (And thats being kind) spool of this line in the world, either that or the fact that you don't ever catch and you fish in a pond..... so it never gets tested.

Ryan

TJD Notts

Reaction score
LOL. I've bought a few spools of it and have been catching quite a few barbel this season from the Trent on a section that is very snag ridden and i can honestly say it's never let me down.

TJD Notts

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in the proverb 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it'./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Really am very confused as to why i get on with it so well though and the rest of you don't!

Reaction score
As mentioned above the Sightfree G3 is a good fluoro and it has excellent abrasion resistance. So far it's stood up well to all the Trent and the Yorkshire rivers can throw at it in all but but extreme situations i.e. Tidal Trent nearsiderocks where I'll use a coated braid.

I use it with the grinner, knotless and palomar knots. Good stuff, and relatively cheap too.

Dave

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Maybe you use a soft rod and play fish gently - I'd be interested to know what one of your rigs breaks at!

I tried Palomars and grinners at the swivel end, and Domhofs, Knotless and even Turles at the hook - it simply hates being bent through the eye of the hook, it seems to set up internal stresses about an inch away from the hook, which is where it usually fails. Palomar at both ends might help - will have a play when I get a chance - but then you lose the line-alignment benefits of the down-through-the-eye family of knots and would have to fartle about with shrink-tube and the like - feasible but inconvenient.