Mullet Fishing in Cornwall

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Well Im making an honest woman out of my lady on the first of next month and we are off on honeymoon to Cornwall and staying at Polperro.

Needles to say I have my priorities bang on. Im taking a couple of match rods and basically coarse gear to have a good go at the mullet in the harbour.

I will be taking a couple of pints of maggot, bread and a couple of prawn traps for catching live bait. Im wide open to any hints or help that anyone can give me please, (reference the fishing that is lol)The rest I can manage thanks/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Rickrod

Reaction score
hello risque ,best tip i know to give you when mullet fishing is to completely cover the hook witn your bread and squeeze the edges like a pasty. Use cheap stodgey bread it stays on the hook better. With prawns(live)you will pick up bass rather than mullet, hope this tip helps and good luck

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Thanks Rick.

For the little bit of mullet fishing Ive done Ive found maggots over liquidised bread to be a very good bait. Funnily enough though I have never heard of anyone fishing casters for them. Im going to take some and put them in my liquidised and give them a couple of tries along with my bread bait and maggots.

Knowing my luck I will start catching skimmers lol.

Its going to look a little strange, sat there with my waggler rod and peacock wagglers.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good on ya Risque /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I took mine to the Hampshire Avon 20 years ago forour honey moon, maggots got out and it was pandamonium! Hope yours goes a bit smoother.

We're off to Weymouth tomorrow and the mullet are on my hit list (never caught one!)

Rickrod is right, I've seenHenry and his mate(sea fishing gods) doing it that way too.

Good luck mate, hope you both have a great time.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Cheers Steve, rest assured Ive taken on board what Rick told me and I will be giving it a good go.

My lady spins for one of herhobbies, (with a wheel that is) not as in angling and she is never happier than when she is sat there spinning and nattering to the passers by while Im fishing by her side.

We are hardly packing any clothes so that we can get her spinning wheel and my fishing gear in the car. Ive even had to leave my bucket, spade and windmills behind. Still she has promised me a crab butty everyday and a donkey ride if I can catch one.

We are both more than ready for a holiday and looking forward to it immensley.

Hope you have a shedfull at Weymouth mate. Take time to have a speed boat ride too, its fabulous.

steveo

Reaction score
If you got the time try the river mouth in Bude where it enter the sea,at the right bit of the tide there are some massive Mullet.I was quite surprise when I saw them.

The locals have had success on bread used in various ways and also a very very small spinner tipped with rag worm.

You will ahve to put up with fishing in a very busy tourist area tho.Thats the reason I havent tried for them.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Risque, will you be anywhere near Falmouth.If so, do try the boatyard right behind the "boat and ride" car park on your way into town.A bit muddy but definately some Mullet around when I fished there last year.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I doubt it Nigel. Polperro and Looe plus my lady wants to go and see were Doc Martin was made (Port Issacs) I think.

I will only fish a couple of days. Cheers.

M

MarkTheSpark

I've had a fair few mullet over the years, Risque. Top method is bread, fishing flake over bread mash. To make the mash, just put a couple of sliced loaves in your landing net, dunk it under the water, wring out the water while it's still in the net (like wringing out a cloth) then dump the lot in a bucket and mash it up with your hands.

The locals like to add some mackerel flesh to this mix (NO SKIN!) and then fish either bread flake on a size 14-10, or a little chunk of mackerel flesh that's been left out to dry in the sun.

The trick with mullet is prebaiting the right tide. It's not always true, but if you can see them, they're much harder to catch. In general, fishing a rising tide in water which, at low tide is at least four feet deep, is best, especially when the spring flood tide coincides with dawn. And you're in luck because the week you're away it's a minor spring tide, and high tide in Looe is around 7am... perfect. It's many, many times more successful at sunrise.

One old trick that works is to get to your spot at low tide and make little piles of mash at intervals up the tideline, so that as the tide covers them, it washes a stream of particles into the water. Very good where you have a rocky prominatory next to your deepish water.

You need some big wagglers that take a lot of shot - 2SSG more more. The reason is that you want the bait to plummet to the bottom and the float to be stable. These rigs are a bugger to cast, but if you want, you can fish them sliding.

You can catch mullet on many other methods, too; fly rod and maggots, Mepps spinner and ragworm, floating crust, etc (and if you can get them feeding on bread crust, go for it; think chub). But in my experience (I've had four fives, and countless fours), the method I've described is the most consistent.

6lb mainline minimum, 4lb fluoro hooklength at least two feet from the bulk shot.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Well to get her spinning wheel in I have cut back severely on my gear. Im now basicaly taking a rod, reel, landing net, tackle bag and my trusty bucket. Im not taking a chair so I will be looking to fish the harbour at Polperro or Looe sat on the quayside.

Im hoping that isnt going to hamper me to much.

I have 3 loaves liquidised and rag ordered. Ive got peacock straights that will take a couple of swan and I can either fish those fixed or slider. The rest ie hook lengths and line plus decent hooks etc I have Mark so Im going with that and keeping my fingers crossed, oh and a couple of pints of maggies.

Rickrod

Reaction score
let us know how you get on risque good luck

M

MarkTheSpark

Good luck, Risque. Keep the bait going in and you'll get one or two. Don't be surprised if it takes a coulole of hours to get the first bite... or that you get hooked on mullet fishing. They're like RPGs when you hook them - set your clutch!

Rickrod

Reaction score
they go like barbel on steroids,i had a good brace a couple of weeks back in a creek near falmouth great fun had them on a tiny slither of old mackeral that you would,nt let your cat near