KHV (Carp Virus)

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Here is a subject worthy of intense debate. It has been reported in Angling Times that from 1st October, fisheries that are notgiven the all clear as regardsKHV (Koi Herpes Virus), will not be allowed to restock.

The repercussion of these news rules could be staggering as they could spell the end of intensively stocked commercial fisheries and as a result, the end of angling for many.

But what do you think?

From my viewpoint it could be a blessing in disguise. For too long now we have have to endure the proliferation of muddy hell holes full of carp, eating no other food except angler's baits and their own excreta.

F

Frothey

wont it just lead to owners not telling the ea they are infected?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No stockings without fish health inspectorate approval Dave. That means documentation.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Documentation can be faked very easily Ron. According to the latest TV expose, on which it would seem criminal proceedings are ensuing, you can get your hands on anything.

Nathan

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea but there is a chance some fisheries will restock without telling the EA.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I appears to me that a percentage of the fishery owners couldn't care a damn about the welfare of their fisheries or of the sport of angling as a whole.

The best thing to do with people who break the rules is name and shame. It's obviously not worth trying to prosecute them considering the current state of the justice systemin this country.

R

Roto Fryer

I could name and shame as hertfordshire has one of the most famous fish stealers around, however, we cant do it on here without putting the site at risk!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Maybe you should put out the name privately to as many people as you can Roto.

But the way I see it with these overstocked waters is this:

It's like shooting game in a fenced paddock!

It's not proper angling where you are supposed to use cunning, guile and skill in the persuance of your quarry.

A properly stocked carp water should be no more than 15 fish a surface acre. This will allow the fish to grow out as naturally as possible. It will also enable them to reach large sizes and provide a true challengefor the real angler. I trulyhope it won't be long before we see the end of intensively stocked commercial fisheries. Such waters are ill concieved and what's more, totally immoral! The capture of 200lbs of carp at a sitting is trully awful and the people who persue such catches can hardly be called anglers!

If I was an anti-angler. I would have a field day criticizing these waters.

F

Frothey

^^ thats the problem with lumping all carp waters/carp anglers in together.....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't Frothey.

I would love to find a small lake, say about the size of Redmire - 3 acres maximum, fringed with rushes and lilies and having about 30 carp - no more -up to say 30 lbs. In addition would be rudd, crucians, tench and a few big roach.

There must also be beech trees around it guarding it from strong winds.

No platforms and no matches.

"Heaven"

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

yeah, but a lot of "carp anglers" are actually "match" anglers in my mind, ie loads of small fish as quickly as possible. on hte wholethey are the lakes with issues....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes you are right. The "Carp Match Lakes" are the ones with issues.

What is truly the pits is the nice natural lakes, there are some in my area, that are netted to remove the natural species, and then filled with thousands of F1s.

It's hideous. No wonder these fish catch all sorts of diseases.

Carpless

Reaction score
Round where i live the commercials aren't in too high abundance but then neither are what I would deem a carp water. I started out on commercials then quickly moved on to places that have less stocks of bigger carp and the fishing is so much better, even on the blanks. Carping for me is about the watercraft and tactical side of things which i love learning about and i don't like the idea of commercials because its not natural living off the anglers bait and being yanked out every few weeks. If people want just a days out fishing now and then, shouldn't they do it at more natural places aiming for the silvers, tench and odd carp. Not to say they can't catch what species they want but i get the image of those tanks in japanese cafe's that people go "fishing" in at lunchtimes. Instant carping, as i like to call it, doesn't do much for the sport IMO and is only around to gain profit for the creators of such places.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Good post Carpless.

But I think there is something wrong with the attutude of people who want to sit and "Bag Up" on places like these. If they have never fished a natural water, they don't know what real angling is all about.

And they probably never will either.

matt

Reaction score
very true ron but I don't want these people on 'my' waters.

which is what may happen if the muddy puddles disappeared.

Carpless

Reaction score
Do you think that a lot of people are lead in to this sort of this just by commercials existance though? To someone who has decided "I fancy giving fishing a go" and are offered a place where they can catch relatively big carp with fairly basic equipment (i.e. cheap rod and reel and a standard float set up) and then someone offers them a big natural water that is quite difficult to fish and often (not always) requires fairly expensive equipment to fish (the sort that has become common in modern carping), then its all too easy for them to pick the easy option and go commercial. On so many levels i disagree with commercials but to a new angler who hasn't had the luxury of FM forums that allow this sort of debate and education on health implications, then you can't blame them for going along with it.

R

Roto Fryer

how many of the instant brigade do you think would go a whle season with only a fish or two? I doubt there are many.

The colne valleys most prolific fish stealer was caught by a security guard netting the colne at 2 am in the morning. the guard in question did not fish or have any interest in fishing so had no axe to grind!there was a picture of the place he runs on here in the last few days, tipper lorries have been seen to drive up at night and empty fish into the lakes.

Carpless

Reaction score
Many? I doubt there are any. I been since january without a fish, though haven't been able to get out as much as i'd like.

This guys place a commercial then roto? Either way theres no excuse for it

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

They might try it once Matt, but when they found out that they couldn't catch a fish a chuck, they would pack it in, or maybe take up darts.

The classic was a match that was fished on Smith's Pool at Linear many years ago. Those of you whofished Smiths Pool will know that itwas crystal clear and in those days held tench, big roach and rudd, chub, bream and a few perch. There was also one or two big carp.

There wereabout 40 fishing the match and the winner got one tiny perch if I remember.

The rest dry netted!!!!

I went on to fish after the captains and kings had departed (you should have heard the moans)and copped 6 roach, the best a 2, about 25 tench to 5 lbs and a belting rudd of 2 1/2lbs!!!

All in all a super little session.