How did everyone get on then?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thursday fished the open match at Willows lakes, skimmers and an 8lb carp to frame. Fished teabag with micros and 4m banded pellet, managed 3rd with 29lb 8oz.
12 fished...
Fished the GUC nr Leighton Buzzard today. It was hard going and unless you had skimmers in front of you it was bit city. Came about 5th in section of 10 with 2lb 8oz. Mainly small roach, perch, gudgeon and ruffe. Pole @ 11m halfway up the far shelf over GB with pinkie.
.Enjoyed it anyway.
..12lb won it. 20 fished.

smufter

Reaction score
Went out early yesterday morning with my Son and Daughter to a local lake. Don't know why but I didn't really feel like it, but went anyway.
Not much happening, had one good run and hooked into a decent Carp but it shed the hook after about a minutes scrap. Shame as it "felt" a decent fish.
Had a couple of other "knocks" during the morning but came to nothing. Neither my Son nor my Daughter had anything at all and with a stiff breeze getting up we knocked it on the head around 11.30am and I came home and got even more bored watching the F1.
Not a good Sunday really.

S

steve2012

Went to the River Rother at Stedham near Midhurst. Early success with Roach and Dace on the float before it just died on me with less than a pound of fish caught.

Moved upstream where my mate had two 3lb Chub on maggot feeder but I couldnt buy a bite. We badly need some rain to liven up the river.

Off to the Stour on Wednesday for some Chub hopefully

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Fished the Salwarpe at Hawford Bridge, trotting maggot, castor and worm (only caught on maggot:confused:) . River very slow going through, had a couple of Dace, a few small Roach, the obligatory minnow and about a dozen perch all but two around 8oz to probably just under a pound. Just wandered around fishing trying several different swims, £4 for the day and I was the only one fishing it.

badgeroo

Reaction score
Fished walrow overnight for carp. Using homemade boilies we had a couple of runs but, nothing on the bank. It was very cold overnight and I think this put paid to night action. never mind will do better next time!!:(:(:(

kevoffthetee

Reaction score
Went up to Felton fence, Northumberland for my first fishing trip in years on Saturday. A very quiet day with only one roach in the net, which is more than my pal, both float fishing with super cheap gear and a pint of maggots. The water was very jerky from the 24hour downpour on Friday and it seemed though everyone was struggling.

I loved it. In the middle of beautiful countryside with no noise whatsoever, no distractions and I went home totally relaxed.

I am now looking at what basics I need to add to the kit and where I go from here with the possibility of a heavier duty rod and reel. I am going to read up on a few different tips but I think I got my setup completely wrong.

As with everything, you learn all of the time and the lack of fish hasn't put me off at all

pidgergj

Reaction score
Went up to Felton fence, Northumberland for my first fishing trip in years on Saturday. A very quiet day with only one roach in the net, which is more than my pal, both float fishing with super cheap gear and a pint of maggots. The water was very jerky from the 24hour downpour on Friday and it seemed though everyone was struggling.

I loved it. In the middle of beautiful countryside with no noise whatsoever, no distractions and I went home totally relaxed.

I am now looking at what basics I need to add to the kit and where I go from here with the possibility of a heavier duty rod and reel. I am going to read up on a few different tips but I think I got my setup completely wrong.

As with everything, you learn all of the time and the lack of fish hasn't put me off at all

good luck to you mate. on my first trip out in years i used the method feeder for the first time.....not a single bite. i was convinced i was doing something wrong so watched endless videos on youtube, picked the brains of people on FM and 2 weeks later went back and had 9 carp. the wealth of knowledge on here is endless.

David Dalton

Reaction score
Fished on the Royalty at Christchurch on Saturday evening. Caught a 12lb river carp and six bream on feeder fished sweetcorn. Went fishing again on Sunday in the same place, it was much colder and caught just one bream!

numptyfish

Reaction score
What a day was Sunday, we were there for first light with rods out by 6:30, we waited an hour or so and the first catch of the day was in weighing 3lb, a common.

The day continued with common and the odd bream being caught with the heaviest at 6lb, unfortunatly i was only lucky enough to catch 8 with a total weight of 16.5lb but i lost 4 at the bank with a couple of cracks with hook knots and also the hook line itself cracking!

My brother was very lucky as his total wieght for the day woth 17 caught was 45.5 lb which left myself and bro inlaw realing as he out fished us good and proper especieally my bro inlaw catching just the 1 at 4lb

Was a good day though!

nicepix

Reaction score
Loaded the camper van up on Sunday for a trip to the coast. Just before we were about to set off our new Russian neighbour came to the van and held up his shopping bag; "Shop" he said. The only English word he knows. I had taken his work mate Alexander to Angouleme railway station the previous day so he could get back to Riga where his son is in hospital and expected to die any day. Egor ( his description fits his name) has no transport, no French or English and we are 8km from the nearest shop, so I took him to the local supermarket expecting him to fill the shopping bag with enough provisions to get though the 5 days that Alexander will be away. He bought two items; one 5 litre barrel of cheap plonk and a bottle of Wodka. That'll teach me!

So a delayed start but we ended up south of Bordeaux on a farm camp site for the night and then hit IKEA for a spot of shopping on Monday morning. After which we drove over to the Isle D'Oleron for a a couple of nights.

Oleron is a small island off the Atlantic coast and is famous for its oyster farms. Over 50% of the French market is grown there. What that means for me is that the island is riddled with salt creeks and lagoons that hold mullet in their thousands. The harbour at Boyaville is stuffed full of them. But as usual in these cases fishing is banned so I watched 4lb fish cruising between the yachts while I was enjoying a warm goat's cheese salad followed by Moules Roquefort with frites and a honey crepe to finish at a harbour restaurant. Fishing research isn't usually as enjoyable as that ;)

High tide was in the evening and again next morning and I'd sussed a good spot while cycling around the town. Mullet are very territorial. You can walk fifty metres and not see one then you'll find a great shoal of them all feeding at the same place and they'll be there every day at that state of tide. Along the road was a tidal channel and I found a good shoal feeding as the channel flooded.

Fishing is simple. JW Travel Avon, small Shimano reel (I'd forgotten my Trudex), quill float set 12" deep over a size 12 hook baited with bread flake. Attraction is breadcrumb groundbait added little and often. The fish weren't as big as the protected fish in the harbour, but up to 2lb were good sport on light tackle. They fight like hell and take yards of line in a succession of unstoppable runs. The local anglers jig small jelly lures under 7 metre poles in the lagoons, but I didn't see them catch that many and they were only small. I prefer trotting the incoming current 'Anglais style' as they call it.

I had three sessions of about 2 to 3 hours each. Caught loads of mullet from around 1/2lb to over 2lb and had a really good time.

We're back home now and I've only got 6 days before relatives arrive for a 9 day visit then we get the keys for our new house so fishing time is going to be severely restricted for the next few weeks. :(

Keith M

Reaction score
Went down one of my local club waters yesterday evening for a couple of hours fishing with my son.

We were fishing 3lb hooklengths and size 16 hooks under wagglers for small Carp and decent sized Bream (the lake is a match lake so doesn't hold large Carp).

I had a few pasties and a very nice Bream; but my son had several decent sized Carp up to 9lb and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to bring them under control on 3lb line and size 16 hooks when he was using balanced tackle and when he didn't try to bully them too much.

He thoroughly enjoyed himself, and so did I, even though we were both soaked by the rain.

And it was great to see his face after thrashing his dad for a change LOL..

Keith

Last edited: