Rivers.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks Colin, I've got it on the +box to watch - filmed by Hugh Miles I believe.

I caught the last bit yesterday I thought he was in it rather than directed it ? I'll check. It seemed to be otter a go go last night on the Beeb some on Country File as well too.

barbelboi

Reaction score

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
I caught the last bit yesterday I thought he was in it rather than directed it ? I'll check. It seemed to be otter a go go last night on the Beeb some on Country File as well too.

He was and most of his dialogue has obviously been edited out. He told me that he gave Ellie the full sp on the otter/cormorant problem and didn't hold out much hope for it to remain in. He was right.

A brilliant programme but obviously the producers shied away from the harsh reality of some aspects of our river's problems. :(

You can read about it here:HUGH MILES - WILDLIFE ADVENTURES: BBC - FILMING OTTERS

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Oops sorry, I've just realised Jerry had already posted a link to Hugh's blog. :eek:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The BBC is otter-mad. Iolo Williams will be featuring them next week in the final one of his Great Welsh Parks. Only seen one of the programmes, but enjoyed it immensely since it featured an area of North Wales that I know around Maentwrog.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not just the BBC, but much of middle-class Britain - the literate, powerful and highly influential constituency that knows its Wind in The Willows, its Tarka, its Ring of Bright Water etc from childhood libraries and bookshelves and which was going to take on any bunch of "They're eating our pet specimens" fish-obsessed numbskulls looking to do them just when they'd come back. I sensed this several years ago, when I saw the "The Only Good Pred is Dead" crowd form and proceed to sound off in the media and all over the fishy internut that this was a battle that not only Anglers would lose but also suffer the equivalent of a 15,000-dead Flodden Field public relations and reputational wipe-out for its selfish stupidity. How I got it in the all-sites neck for saying so!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
How will the otters fare when the EE's have emptied their larder? Interesting to see how the Beeb cover that one......:)

No doubt the otters will all be made redundant on four times their statutory entitlements.......:)

cg74

Reaction score
Not just the BBC, but much of middle-class Britain - the literate, powerful and highly influential constituency that knows its Wind in The Willows, its Tarka, its Ring of Bright Water etc from childhood libraries and bookshelves and which was going to take on any bunch of "They're eating our pet specimens" fish-obsessed numbskulls looking to do them just when they'd come back. I sensed this several years ago, when I saw the "The Only Good Pred is Dead" crowd form and proceed to sound off in the media and all over the fishy internut that this was a battle that not only Anglers would lose but also suffer the equivalent of a 15,000-dead Flodden Field public relations and reputational wipe-out for its selfish stupidity. How I got it in the all-sites neck for saying so!

Paul, as I've said for a while now; you're obsessed with otters and otter culls. No one has mentioned an otter cull, so why are you??

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

He was and most of his dialogue has obviously been edited out. He told me that he gave Ellie the full sp on the otter/cormorant problem and didn't hold out much hope for it to remain in. He was right.

A brilliant programme but obviously the producers shied away from the harsh reality of some aspects of our river's problems. :(

You can read about it here:HUGH MILES - WILDLIFE ADVENTURES: BBC - FILMING OTTERS

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Oops sorry, I've just realised Jerry had already posted a link to Hugh's blog. :eek:

Yes the BBC do seem a bit disingenuous when it comes to environmental issues but the programmes name sets the theme; "Britain's Big Wildlife Revival" - With that title it's only ever going to be about feel good tv.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul, as I've said for a while now; you're obsessed with otters and otter culls. No one has mentioned an otter cull, so why are you??

Nope, Colin. I warned you and the other guys years ago; it was some of you who got all obsessional, personal, rude and serially sh1tty.

End of.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
Nope, Colin. I warned you and the other guys years ago; it was some of you who got all obsessional, personal, rude and serially sh1tty.

End of.

Which "other guys" are you referring to, as you've irritated so many people over the years. As for me being obsessional - Not at all, just stating things as I see it.
Besides if you write posts to provoke a reaction (which you do), then expect a reaction and don't whine when it comes!
Rude, personal and serially sh1tty; you do a fair amount of that yourself.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which "other guys" are you referring to, as you've irritated so many people over the years. As for me being obsessional - Not at all, just stating things as I see it.
Besides if you write posts to provoke a reaction (which you do), then expect a reaction and don't whine when it comes!
Rude, personal and serially sh1tty; you do a fair amount of that yourself.

Quit whilst you are ahead, Colin. You are looking like that frantically hole-digging Meth Head in Episode 6 of Series 4 of "Breaking Bad" - publicly digging a hole for your own demise.

cg74

Reaction score
Quit whilst you are ahead, Colin. You are looking like that frantically hole-digging Meth Head in Episode 6 of Series 4 of "Breaking Bad" - publicly digging a hole for your own demise.

Yes Paul, if you say so.

Who is making personal and rude remarks now Paul; "Meth Head" - I assume you're implying that I am either a user or resemble a methamphetamine user?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And online super-defensive and possibly hyper-paranoid, too. Oh dear. Leave it, Colin, as I have said to more than just to one or two over the years: you are saying far more about yourselves than you ever will about me.

cg74

Reaction score
And online super-defensive and possibly hyper-paranoid, too. Oh dear. Leave it, Colin, as I have said to more than just to one or two over the years: you are saying far more about yourselves than you ever will about me.

Paul, just answer the question; were you implying I resemble a, or am a methamphetamine user?

Out curiosity, why do you always find it so hard to answer simple questions?

cg74

Reaction score
I whistle, the same old dogs howl. Same as it ever was.

That's the closest to candor as I've ever seen from you. Which emphasises my earlier point; you post to provoke a response and when you get one, you just (in the words of Mr T) "jibber jabber" about it.

Rather pathetic really....

I openly admit, at times I post to provoke thought and then a subsequent response. It's a shame honesty and the ability to give straight answers too straight questions elude you; though maybe you've just started to change?

Night Paul.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Scroll up to the top of this thread and you will see that, from the start, it was yet another fishing expedition, yet another slightly more oblique attempt to get anglers angry about blahdy otters (and the bunny-hugging BBC that so promotes them) and the way us straight-up blokes get pushed around by a bunch of furry and university-educated ponces.

Yet another from the Cloud Cuckoo Land Crew.

Cloud Cuckoo Land?

The Birds, a 5th Century BC comic-fantasy by the Greek playwright Aristophanes, about two world-weary Athenians, tired of arguing every last thing to the toss, setting up a "perfect" city of the birds in the clouds, well away from the hurly-burly of life on Earth. Much wishful thinking and bird brainery follows.

For more, catch this excellent BBC 4 series - BBC iPlayer - Ancient Greece: The Greatest Show on Earth: Democrats

Sorry, CG, but you have multi-site disruptive "form". Some of us have excellent memories, me being one of them.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Scroll up to the top of this thread and you will see that, from the start, it was yet another fishing expedition, yet another slightly more oblique attempt to get anglers angry about blahdy otters (and the bunny-hugging BBC that so promotes them) and the way us straight-up blokes get pushed around by a bunch of furry and university-educated ponces.

Yet another from the Cloud Cuckoo Land Crew.

Cloud Cuckoo Land?

The Birds, a 5th Century BC comic-fantasy by the Greek playwright Aristophanes, about two world-weary Athenians, tired of arguing every last thing to the toss, setting up a "perfect" city of the birds in the clouds, well away from the hurly-burly of life on Earth. Much wishful thinking and bird brainery follows.

For more, catch this excellent BBC 4 series - BBC iPlayer - Ancient Greece: The Greatest Show on Earth: Democrats

Sorry, CG, but you have multi-site disruptive "form". Some of us have excellent memories, me being one of them.

Colin posted a link to a BBC film , I mentioned otters not him.

"Ellie Harrison visits two very different rivers - the Tyne in Newcastle and a chalk stream in Dorset - to find out how their wildlife is faring in this changing habitat."