Angler Mail Rip off, and they wont't respond!

speck

Reaction score
Angler Mail Magazine have a subscription offer at the moment whereby if you sign up for a 1 year subscription you get a free Lineaeffe reel. But it is a big con job.
To qualify for the offer you have to follow a special link and sign up, buf if you just go to the website and go to the subscription page then a 1 year subscription is actually £29.00 cheaper, but of course you don't get the free reel.
The reel in question is currently on sale at Chapmans Angling for £14.99, so by following the special subscription link you are being hoodwinked into paying £29.00 for a £14.99 reel and being told it is free?
I have emailed them and got a reply that someone would deal with it, however, I have received no reply even though I have emailed a further 2 times.
BEWARE!

sam vimes

Reaction score
If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. What on earth do you expect them to respond with? "I'm sorry Mr. X, you've got us bang to rights, we're very naughty boys."

As ever when parting with money, caveat emptor.

speck

Reaction score
If something looks too good to be true, it probably is. What on earth do you expect them to respond with? "I'm sorry Mr. X, you've got us bang to rights, we're very naughty boys."

Not sure really, but they said they would respond and now won't.
It just annoys me!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why would anyone want a Lineaffe reel? That would be a dis-incentive to taking out a subscription IMO.

speck

Reaction score
I was thinking ASA or Trading Standards. Surely to claim something is free when it quite clearly isn't is mis leading advertising at best?

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Why would anyone want a Lineaffe reel? That would be a dis-incentive to taking out a subscription IMO.

Because we are not always in the priveledged position that you obviously are in being able to afford all the top notch kit. Cheap gear has a place as it gets people fishing at a bargain price and that can only be good for our sport.

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

Because we are not always in the priveledged position that you obviously are in being able to afford all the top notch kit. Cheap gear has a place as it gets people fishing at a bargain price and that can only be good for our sport.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Two things -

1 Did you ever think he might have been joking?

2 Unlike you, I actually know Jack - he's NOT in any priviledged position, he IS someone who looks at what kit is available in his budget and makes his choices based on his own opinions of it.

He's a top bloke and you have no right to kick off. If, and it is an if, that is his opinion on Lineaffe and it differs from yours, so be it. But knowing Jack, he was joking - and I also doubt very much he's the reason some people have to fish on a budget.

He's also a mate of mine, a good bloke and a darn good angler. Talk to him nicely and you might get to learn a few things.

Nuff said. :)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Two things -

2 Unlike you, I actually know Jack - he's NOT in any priviledged position, he IS someone who looks at what kit is available in his budget and makes his choices based on his own opinions of it.

He's a top bloke and you have no right to kick off. If, and it is an if, that is his opinion on Lineaffe and it differs from yours, so be it. But knowing Jack, he was joking - and I also doubt very much he's the reason some people have to fish on a budget.

He's also a mate of mine, a good bloke and a darn good angler. Talk to him nicely and you might get to learn a few things.

Am I missing something Phil? Where has this fella 'kicked off'? :confused:

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

How about a reasonable explanation? If the situation described exists, from a moral viewpoint, it is irrelevant whether he took the trouble to 'beware' isn't it? Legal or not, if true, it's a scam and the work of a bunch of chisellers.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Chris,

Accusing Jack of being in a priviledged position and "Lording it". I'm defending a mate. If I felt someone was having a pop at you, I'd do the same.

It's pretty clear to me that Jack's just joking about the Lineaffe reel, you know him as well as I do.

Phil.

Reaction score
Chris,

Accusing Jack of being in a priviledged position and "Lording it". I'm defending a mate. If I felt someone was having a pop at you, I'd do the same.

It's pretty clear to me that Jack's just joking about the Lineaffe reel, you know him as well as I do.

Phil.

Yeah I'm sure you're right Phil, and I've no wish to fall out with Jack again, but it does read a little like he is having a pop at him on his choice of tackle on a financial basis and the retort was relatively mild. :confused:

Anyway, I'll keep out of it. :)

speck

Reaction score
Two things -

Wow, thats me told then, but I am not sure where I "kicked off" as you put it. He expressed his opinion on cheap gear, I gave him my opinion back, and where anywhere in this thread have I suggested he is the reason some people have to fish on a budget? Chill out man!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Ok, bud - my apologies. He's a really good mate and he's been through a lot.

Honestly, he IS a top lad - and, hand on heart, I can honestly say I believe he would have been joking and NOT belittling anyone or their cicumstances. Honestly and truly.

By coincidence, if you want to know about budget, he is a good guy to ask as he won't just buy stuff, he'll test it against its competitors.

This was the guy who spent two days of my life telling me that Middy's The Works method feeder rod was a bargain and the best in show at under fifty bucks!!

Apologies, again. He's a mate. Sorry.

(PS: I have some old, unused but perfectly usable reels and stuff in my tackle room that are just gathering dust. If you can make use of them, PM me and I'll send them on...)

Phil.

Phil.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
It's not just the AM that do these types of so called offers, supermarkets are another example.

We all need to to check that any offer is an offer. With that offer (as with most subscription offers) you can get free stuf, or a discount; in this case the discount far exceeded the value of the free goods.

Always check prices. Many suppliers of fishing tackle give an RRP or a "this should retail at", don't believe a word, until you have seen it with your own eyes.

What was the reel valued at in the offer?

AT had several "offers" where you only paid postage for the free goods - hmm we've all heard tales of this going on.

Speck, you've had a hard lesson this time, thanks for warning us about it.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I always advocate GOOD budget gear but Shakespeare is about as low down the food chain as I go! :w

That's only my opinion, others are available, please feel free to differ with them too! :D

Faced with paying 29 quid for an AM subscription with a free 14.99 reel I would rather put the 29 towards a Shakey or Okuma reel and buy AM when it took my fancy, since it is essentially a periodical that trades extensively in repetition! :thumbs:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Ok, bud - my apologies. He's a really good mate and he's been through a lot.

Honestly, he IS a top lad - and, hand on heart, I can honestly say I believe he would have been joking and NOT belittling anyone or their cicumstances. Honestly and truly.

By coincidence, if you want to know about budget, he is a good guy to ask as he won't just buy stuff, he'll test it against its competitors.

This was the guy who spent two days of my life telling me that Middy's The Works method feeder rod was a bargain and the best in show at under fifty bucks!!

Apologies, again. He's a mate. Sorry.

(PS: I have some old, unused but perfectly usable reels and stuff in my tackle room that are just gathering dust. If you can make use of them, PM me and I'll send them on...)

Phil.

Phil.

Loyalty is a great quality in any man Phil. Fair play to you. :)

And to keep the love in going if I misconstrued Jack's intent an apology to him too. :eek:

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

I always advocate GOOD budget gear but Shakespeare is about as low down the food chain as I go! :w

That's only my opinion, others are available, please feel free to differ with them too! :D

Faced with paying 29 quid for an AM subscription with a free 14.99 reel I would rather put the 29 towards a Shakey or Okuma reel and buy AM when it took my fancy, since it is essentially a periodical that trades extensively in repetition! :thumbs:

Aint that the truth! ;)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Loyalty is a great quality in any man Phil. Fair play to you. :)

And to keep the love in going if I misconstrued Jack's intent an apology to him too. :eek:

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Aint that the truth! ;)

Anyone who wants to be terminally bored can trawl back through my posts and see that I ALWAYS take up the cudgels on behalf of people on a limited budget who get sneered at by the Tackle Tarts - FACT (I'm starting to sound like Rafa Benitez, bless him)

The remark about Lineaffe reels was a pi$$-take but I genuinely wouldn't buy one when you can get an Okuma or a Shakey for under £20 and especially when you can get a lot more bang for your buck on Ebay and Gumtree if the bidding falls right.

Reaction score
;)
Anyone who wants to be terminally bored can trawl back through my posts and see that I ALWAYS take up the cudgels on behalf of people on a limited budget who get sneered at by the Tackle Tarts - FACT (I'm starting to sound like Rafa Benitez, bless him)

The remark about Lineaffe reels was a pi$$-take but I genuinely wouldn't buy one when you can get an Okuma or a Shakey for under £20 and especially when you can get a lot more bang for your buck on Ebay and Gumtree if the bidding falls right.

That's true actually. I should have realised that.

Got to be honest I've never heard of lineaffe anyway. :)

Still think they're rotters at AM though if that's what they're doing.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

I picked up a Browning Ultimatch 30 for 99p plus postage of a fiver. (A few years old I know but I had the 50 size when they came out and it was pretty good.) :)