I'm dreaming of a Striped marlin...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
... just like the ones that Joe (Brooks - for God's sake don't mention him, Paul, internuttery and internecine strife break out whenever he's mentioned here, particularly his being invited down to Argentina in the 1950s by some Argentine anglers, one of whom you much later met, to fish with them) and I used to know....

Bing and Joe back in February 1966 - Bing Crosby and The American Sportsman Marlin - Feb 6, 1966 - YouTube

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Such barely concealed "side" at the slightest "provocation" from me, dear dorset. People here have your number, well know your modus operandum**; and not merely myself, the frequent recipient.

Do try harder. You won't get a rolling internut argument out of me, much too bright and savvy, though I do remember how you incited me, in a personal message a few weeks ago, to really cut loose here with some choice insults. We all know why, mods included.

** 'Did' the Latin accusative singular of "operandus" in error; let's make it genitive singular, operandi - of work / working. I blame it on Kennedy's Shorter Latin Primer forced on me at the age of eight, you know; though it does it turn lesser men into politicians.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Speaking of Kennedy, please please stop being a conspiracy theorist.

I saw your title and it made me smile. My answer was based on humour - nothing more.

Nobody's got my number, Paul, I'm not fencing with you or anyone else - it's called humour. The mods on here like a laugh and a smile as much as anybody and they know full well that's what I'm about.

Life's too short, Paul - put a smile on your face, before it's too late. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of Kennedy, please please stop being a conspiracy theorist.

I saw your title and it made me smile. My answer was based on humour - nothing more.

Nobody's got my number, Paul, I'm not fencing with you or anyone else - it's called humour. The mods on here like a laugh and a smile as much as anybody and they know full well that's what I'm about.

Life's too short, Paul - put a smile on your face, before it's too late. :)

My life is fun, dear dorset. Not often the case, though, for those who always trot out the "Conspiracy Theory Is For Sad Sacks and Nutters" / "Cock-up not Conspiracy" stuff: the age-old refrain of those who cause most of the major problems in the first place merely doing a bit of "Non mea culpa" (in English: "Wot? Me, Guv...?").

As I was taught:

1: Remain loftily above it all at all times.

2. But if the Merde really hits the aircon', deny everything, with likeable charm and plausible disingenuousness.

3. When push really comes to shove, trash any persistent boat-rocker by any means possible.

Takes one to know one / the utterly unspeakable.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fine by me, dorset.

Modern definitions:

Humour: side, veiled attack, snark.

Banter: repeatedly in-yer-face, even bullying.

I once put the head of a serial bullyer of junior boys (he fancied them, couldn't have them, me among them, so...) at Charterhouse School forty years ago into a large-jawed workshop vice for an afternoon. This cured him. Getting up to probably God knows what, now, though.

nicepix

Reaction score
Too much cheese before bed, again? :)

It's his herbal tea ;)

Years ago on another forum there was an American guy who due to the time zone differences was able to capture the late night posts that Boote made under the influence, and before they were subsequently edited or removed in the sobriety of the new day. He would post them as quotes. They made fascinating reading as sometimes in rare moments of melancholy the real Boote was revealed. There were also the Bootisms that we have come to expect as well including such tall tales as men who fought over his swims after he had abandoned them, the guy in the motor home hoping to follow our hero to his favourite swim but was cunningly lead astray and all the famous people he claims to have met. He makes Hans Christian Anderson tales believable ;)

mick b

Reaction score
Head in a vice, well that's a good enough method to tame a bully even for Charterhouse.

Me, I went to Sec. Mod. and got bullied quite a bit, you fought or suffered and for a while I suffered.
Five years and thousands of mat hours later I was lucky to meet up with one of those who made some of my school life a misery, dunno why but I sometimes regret what I did to him, whatever, I know he regretted what he did to me!

Do unto others ?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's his herbal tea ;)

Years ago on another forum there was an American guy who due to the time zone differences was able to capture the late night posts that Boote made under the influence, and before they were subsequently edited or removed in the sobriety of the new day. He would post them as quotes. They made fascinating reading as sometimes in rare moments of melancholy the real Boote was revealed. There were also the Bootisms that we have come to expect as well including such tall tales as men who fought over his swims after he had abandoned them, the guy in the motor home hoping to follow our hero to his favourite swim but was cunningly lead astray and all the famous people he claims to have met. He makes Hans Christian Anderson tales believable ;)

Moderators: I am still, indeed am becoming more than, a little tired of this gentleman with his hit-n-run postings and swift skedaddlings back to the French backwoods. Have a word with him, will you, please. You don't see me launching into individuals here; I try to contribute to this site - to amuse, enlighten, interact with fellow members in a civilized manner etc - not to stick one on anyone.

Last edited: