Catfish

V

vince battams

My first question is, i thought it was now illegal to stock this species in this country, is this correct?
Second question and possibly a bit of contradiction to the first, but i know of a water that has apparently been stocked with 12 of these, 20 of about 30lbs, 4 or 5 between 10 and 15lbs and the rest just little kittens, what would be the best way to approach this water tackle and bait wise, bearing in mind carp are present, size of water is upto 2 acres and permission can be gained to night fish, your help would be appreciated.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I was under the impression that it was not only illeagal to stock them but they were to be killed if caught (I think this is if they are within the vicinity of running water), I think there was a series of articles in A.T. some time ago about a cat which was being hunted by the E.A. and protected by the anglers or something like that.

As for bait I think hallibut pellets are catching quite a few or large boilies (Fishmeal), worms, dead coarse fish or the more obvious live baits, alternatively a lip hooked Anti with the legs removed would be a good start, as they are spineless the flapping motion would surely atract the attention of a big moggie which are also attracted to strong stenches.

N

Neil Wayte

The Carp Company's Black Squid boilies seem to be irrasitable to the cats in my local waters.

I

Ian Whittaker

Its not illegal to stock catfish but strict controls are in place.I'll let you into fishings best kept secret( don't tell anyone else though!!) big catfish just love cormorants!

A

andrew jackson

This water wouldnt be in the north west by any chance, specificaly Cheshire? I only ask because it reads very much like a lake my mate has fished.