The Alternative Angler ? Fish Eye

W

Wolfman Woody

Kevin said -

"Single Rod

This is one of those fads that will die a quiet death if it's left alone. Trying to persuade anglers that they can make do with just one rod is patently not going to work. And by that, this is not just fishing with one rod and having a battery of a dozen or so rods in a holdall behind you. There are people actually advocating that you can go fishing with only one rod, full stop. The tackle industry and tackle tarts everywhere are doing their best to nip this in the bud."

And I should think so too. How else are going to sort out the pecking order except by how many rods an angler has? Personally I think the "MOST ACTIVE MEMBERS" list on FM should be changed to "MOST WELL-ENDOWED WITH TACKLE ANGLERS".

Yes, yes, I know, Granville Marzdinn will still be at the top, but it would at least put Peter Jacobs into second place, and rightfully deserved too. Mind you, old Deanos is catching up at the rear now - big rear too!

Well done Kevin for bringing this abysmal trend to everyone's attention. STAMP IT OUT NOW!

F

Fred Bonney

For some one who was sitting on a river bank the day before yesterday for 9 hours without a bite*, and without shovelling in heaps of halibut pellets,this short session approach looks a far better idea to me.

Retired or not, another one added to the short session many,Kevin

*Well I did have one bite after 7 hours 40 minutes, but my line must have rotted in the meantime, and (I think) a river carp took off, having been well hooked, parting my line above the hooklength like it was cotton.

It's bloody hot out today!

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Jeff

As you know, both you and I are fond of a bit of lure fishing, but there are those who would have you believe that you can set off for a bit of 'artificial' sport, whistling a happy tunewith justone rod slung over your should and a little plastic box containing about four lures slipped into your pocket.

Now, I don't mind carrying on like this, BUT that is only having set up a base camp on the bank with four or five made up rods (I'm cutting down...) and the trolley with the two Plano boxes and bag containing additional sets of lures, spare reels, spare spools etc. etc.

Then, and only then, I might wander 15 yards away with a small selection of lures, oh and I might just take one spare rod with me, just in case

Surely that is the correct way to proceed.......?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Fred

As I am still a barbel virgin, I need to know about this pre-baiting lark. Is it like the putting the sprouts on for Xmas (which is about now, isn't it?)

So, should I startbaiting up this week with a view to siiting down to fish about November time.....?

F

Fred Bonney

Kevin, I am not into prebaiting at all.Honest.

But, there are those that would start now,as with sprouts, and have them in a "frenzy" by November.

By the way, I have a way, and a place for popping cherries! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Kevin Perkins wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

JeffThen, and only then, I might wander 15 yards away with a small selection of lures, oh and I might just take one spare rod with me, just in case</blockquote>

You really are changing along with your dire warning. Come on, Kevin!

You will want, require, need at least one rod for spoons, one for plugs, and one for rubber artificials - even on a little foray. If there's a possibility of a perch as well, then you need an extra light rod for spinning for them and possibly, just possibly, another rod for casting a slightly heavier chatterbait. Makes 5 rods for me.

Now how many are left at base camp?

ONE ROD!?! - ridiculous!

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Come on you two, I've seen both of you and apart from Kevin catching a very large perch and Woody carrying a very expensive camera, I couldn't possibly imagine either of you carrying over two rods for a long walk /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Damn! the smiley things aren't working!

Edit: so they are! But not showing on my Firefox page?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Kevin old boy

I only ever take 2 rods max when fishing - I enjoy the selection process as much as the fishing - seeing the rods lined upwhich will I choose - those 2 no no that1 and that 1 no no

may be those 2 over there - then there's the lures to pick

a short session can take days to prepare for.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
How come I've just aquired another match rod? I will soon have enough for a box of swan vesta.

Why another 9.6ft fly rod? This one 7 rated, my other is 5-6 rated. I only go fluff chucking once a year at FM Flyfishin.

Plus I have a real for every rod. The whisky isn't helping!!!

Iain Riley

Reaction score
two rods and a hip flask who says we can't multitask /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Oops - forgot the jerbaits too! - six rods."

Pot, Kettle . . . . Black.

"Damn! the smiley things aren't working!"

Yaaaayyyy! See, there Is a god.

"Edit: so they are! But not showing on my Firefox page?"

Note to self: Demand of Magicalia that all FM contributors only ever use Firefox.

Now, being an ex-match angler let me tell you, it is impossible to go for a day stickfloat fishing without having 3, well 4 really, identical rods, reels, lines and terminal tackle - no time to undo a tangle, or tie a fresh hook - no way - sling that rod up the bank and take fresh one.
Simple, innitt!!!!!

PS: another great Perkins article, cheers Kevin.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Thankyou Peter

I somehow guessed that you wouldn't be a founder member of the One-Rod club....!

And Grumpy

Your supposition that Jeff and I aren't able to travel too far from the car carrying more than a couple of rods is spurious. We've managed over fifty yards from the car carrying allour above mentionedgear. Took us two hours to recover before we could start fishing, but that's another story.........

But your mention of my record Clattercote perch catch just goes to show that even with expertly framed and beautifully shotphotograhy, people aren't willing to accept the evidence.

The photograph clearly shows a perch over three and a half feet long, caught legitimately and bysomeone with a valid rod licence and still I didn't even win the DrennanCup that week, let alone get into the record books.........!

minnowmonger

Reaction score
How about a camou rod, better still a snooker rack of "stealth" rods employing the latest carbon-cloaking technology guaranteed invisible tolicense inspectors and anti-angling forms of life. Of course you'd need to keep your invisible rod licenses handy unless you can convince the fish police you are hand-lining which I submit doesn't need a rod license (name and address withheld). Seriously, can anyone who doesn't fish with an angler's dozen (12+12 lbs/ins) be considered a proper angler these days?