Big Pit Reel

acbruce

Reaction score
I'd like to get a big pit reel, but they all seem quite heavy. Can anyone recommend a light weigh - less than 500 gm model?

Many thanks

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I'd like to get a big pit reel, but they all seem quite heavy. Can anyone recommend a light weigh - less than 500 gm model?

Many thanks

Most baitrunners in the 6000-8000 size weigh more than 500g. If you really want a sub 500g big pit then you'll need deep pockets.

Shimano Areo technium xtb mgs is 500g and £650
The Daiwa Basia is slightly lighter at 498g and cheaper at £425

acbruce

Reaction score
I need the size, I think, for a long cast and fast retrieve when spinning off the the beach for mackerel and bass and the Daiwa BF 5500 I have weighs a ton with the constant cast and retrieve.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You'll be lucky. You could try looking at some of the mini-big pit reels that sometimes scrape in at just over 500g. There's one that scrapes in at slightly less (445g) due to the lightweight material used. The snag is that a relatively small weight saving costs a fair wedge.

The new Fox FX11 might also be of some interest, though it is supposed to be closer to 600g than 500.

What I will say about such reels is that, at first, they seem massive. They have a strange way of shrinking as you get used to them. I'd also suggest that you don't worry unduly about the weight of them. For the carping, piking or big river barbeling that they tend to be used for, they are going to spend most of their time on rests. The rest of the time they'll be chucking fairly unsubtle terminal tackle, reeling it in or, hopefully, playing decent sized angry fish. You aren't generally concerned about the balance of the reel/rod combination if using such tackle.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

I need the size, I think, for a long cast and fast retrieve when spinning off the the beach for mackerel and bass and the Daiwa BF 5500 I have weighs a ton with the constant cast and retrieve.

Ah makes more sense now. Would you not be better served with a multiplier?

acbruce

Reaction score
Yes, did consider that, but have never used one and don't they need the correct rod with reel seat to use effectively? Just that I read somewhere that all that was needed for mackerel and bass was a 3lb tc carp rod and big pit reel. My carp rod seems fine, just the reel weight issue....

fishingjack

Reaction score
You don't have to cast far for bass and for mackerel I've found my regular carp reel to be more than sufficient. Load the spool up to the lip and you should be fine. You've probably got your heart set on one though.

There are options. Thinner line i.e. braid, bigger lead.

With the braid you'd probably get away with 150 to 200m as I doubt you'd empty it. You can also fill the first part of the spool with mono.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Take a look at the Shimano XTB5500 baby big pit. It is a great reel with a front spool baitrunner feature.

I have a set of 3 and they are simply superb.

nicepix

Reaction score
Yes, did consider that, but have never used one and don't they need the correct rod with reel seat to use effectively? Just that I read somewhere that all that was needed for mackerel and bass was a 3lb tc carp rod and big pit reel. My carp rod seems fine, just the reel weight issue....

You don't need a big pit reel for that sort of fishing. Nor do you need a 3lb test curve rod :eek:

For mackerel and bass off the beach or kayak I used an Ugly Stik 9 foot, 20 - 60g rod and Okuma 5000 size reel. I use the same rod with a multiplier to spin for catfish up to 30lbs in the local river.

The multiplier just screws onto the rod and can be used just as effectively as a fixed spool reel. But if you decide on a fixed spool reel go for one with a good spool and that runs smoothly.

Better be quick though. The mackerel will be gone in a month.

acbruce

Reaction score
Really useful stuff. Thanks a lot. Is that the Okuma Salina 5000 as there seem to be one or two different 5000s advertised?

nicepix

Reaction score
My Okuma spinning reel is an old model. Well over 20 years old and I don't know what model it is off hand. Still runs as sweet as a nut though.