Ever meet your hero?

caferacer

Reaction score
I met an old fishing buddy in the pub last night and we recalled the time we met Bob Nudd on the lower Shannon.He had just won in Yugoslavia and was doing a promo for the Irish Tourist Board.The press were there and loads of other officials were all thronged behind him.As a mad keen 17 year old club angler I was mightily impressed.During his session he turned around to me and said-"do you want a few casts then?"I sat on the box and he gave me casting and feeding tips for 20 or so minutes.He even gave me one of his sandwiches!What a consummate gentleman and ambassador of the sport.Has anyone met their hero and been as equally impressed?

Last edited:

caferacer

Reaction score
Good one Benny.The Duke has been absent from our screens for far too long,does anyone know if him and Matt will be doing another series in the near future?

The bad one

Reaction score
Met Peter Stone a few times at NASA bashes. Ironically we discussed fishing briefly and moved onto our other lifelong passion Speedway. Oxford were dominant at the time, so he'd give me a ribbing about Belle Vue. Only for me to remind him that Carl Stonehewer a rookie 16 year old kid riding at No 7 (reserve) whooped Hans Neilsen World champion's ar*se around BV.:D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Only if they ran a tackle shop - Ken Collings and John Wilson to think of two "heroes" at different ends of the spectrum. I fished near Ray Mumford in a match at Richmond Upon Thames once.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I met **** Walker and Fred J Taylor at the Angling show back in the mid sixties. Both **** and Fred were manning the Efgeeco stand promoting ''Pomenteg'' if memory serves.

There were other celebrities of the day present, including Jack Hilton, Fred Wagstaff, Bob Reynolds and Bill Keal. It was a hectic two days. Sadly all are gone now with the exception of Bob Reynolds. But several enduring friendships resulted from these meetings.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I chatted with the late, great Frank Barlow( Evesham Festival, 1996/7?). I think, by this time, he knew he was dying but he was as dry, witty and charming as I'd hoped. God keep and bless him. :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Bumped into **** Walker a few times in the 50's, would love to have met Stoney. Is Bob R still around Derek, the last time I saw him was at Billing in the early 60's when he was still heavily into carp.
Jerry

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Bumped into **** Walker a few times in the 50's, would love to have met Stoney. Is Bob R still around Derek, the last time I saw him was at Billing in the early 60's when he was still heavily into carp.
Jerry

Jerry,

I lost touch with Bob Reynolds 8 or 9 years ago. I used to get the odd telephone call, then it stopped abruptly around that time. He was living at his mum's house in Northhants then. Then a couple of years ago one of the old specimen lads bumped into him in Northhants walking down the road, his account wasn't very encouraging, so I won't elaborate. But then again he's over eighty years old by my reckoning, so who knows what his situation is, or has been.

caferacer

Reaction score
I chatted with the late, great Frank Barlow( Evesham Festival, 1996/7?). I think, by this time, he knew he was dying but he was as dry, witty and charming as I'd hoped. God keep and bless him. :)
Wasnt he a one off.I think most of us who read the mail went straight to his page,the Christmas double page special was always a treat.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Walker - never met, but did exchange letters and speak on the phone several times when I was in my teens.

F.J.T. - missed him.

Peter Stone - met him at a Meet the Writers "do" thrown by Angling Magazine in Oxford in the mid-late 1970s. Lovely chap.

Bernard Venables - met him at the Bowood Game Fair in 1979, when he appeared out of a grassy nowhere in front of the Angling Mag. stand and promptly exclaimed "Mahseer! I've always wished to catch one..." on seeing some big "blow-up"s of some of my India slides that the magazine had had made for the Game Fair. I had Bernard to myself for a good ten minutes before the Editor and Deputy Editor of the magazine appeared from the marquee "room" behind the front desk, promptly did a double take and respectfully asked him and the lovely young woman who was with him in for a drink. They came in, Bernard having a half pint of light ale, the girl a soft drink. All present - the staff of both Angling Magazine and Shooting Times - we were a little in awe of the charming, articulate man.

Met many of the coarse and game fishing heroes (two of the latter being Frank Sawyer and, much later, the American Mel Krieger, fishing with them both, with Sawyer putting up with teaching a mad-keen ten- or eleven-year-old wonderfully and getting his wife to do afternoon "tea" (early supper), too. Most of those "heroes" didn't disappoint (both as anglers and as people), only a very very few, but then there are a few bad apples in every basket.

B

binka

John Dean was my childhood hero and a true stick float master of the Trent in his day, a very much admired angler.

We couldn't believe it when, on our usual Friday lunchtime dash from school to the local tackle shop to get bait for the weekend, John was standing behind the counter waiting to serve us after taking over the shop.

After that it was a regular thing and we got some excellent tips :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Jerry,

I lost touch with Bob Reynolds 8 or 9 years ago. I used to get the odd telephone call, then it stopped abruptly around that time. He was living at his mum's house in Northhants then. Then a couple of years ago one of the old specimen lads bumped into him in Northhants walking down the road, his account wasn't very encouraging, so I won't elaborate. But then again he's over eighty years old by my reckoning, so who knows what his situation is, or has been.

Cheers Derek, yep he's got to be 80ish now, I was quite young at the time (I think he was 24 when I first met him in '58/9) and used to travel to Billing with my dad until I went by motorbike in the mid/late 60's. Bob's landing net was something else:D
Jerry

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
John Dean was my childhood hero and a true stick float master of the Trent in his day, a very much admired angler.

We couldn't believe it when, on our usual Friday lunchtime dash from school to the local tackle shop to get bait for the weekend, John was standing behind the counter waiting to serve us after taking over the shop.

After that it was a regular thing and we got some excellent tips :)

Binks,

Had all my tackle stolen in 1990 and you know what I miss the most? I probably had around 200 each of the John Dean and Peter Warren stick floats. The float I caught my first roach on was part of it, too.

Lotta memories.....:)

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the benefit of fluff-flingers, I was once drawn in a boat with Moc Morgan in a Shakespeare Fly Championship qualifier on Llyn Brenig in North Wales, in the 80's I think. Boy did I get my eye wiped, but I was sensible enough to copy his tactics and flies, which he was happy to share, and our team (all fishing in different boats) came 5th and missed the cut for the final at Rutland by one place!

Great angler, great Welshman!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lovely man, Moc. I met him on the Teifi, his home river, in the late 1980s, at this time of year.

We were both after salmon, both hefting two-handed fly rods (not often seen then, especially on that river).

We met on a bridge well downstream from his home at Pontrhydfendigaid .

He was off to fish the private stretch upstream, me the club water below it.

We chatted, agreed that it was "Tube-fly water today" - a 1.5-inch to 2-inch ali with a lot of red and orange would be perfect - then wished each other the best of luck.

I remember the day well. I had fish of 9.5 and 11 pounds. I bet Moc had some, too.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Lucky to have met fished with/ against and spoken to most of my fishing heroes.
Ivan Marks, possibly the best natural angler to ever have lived a genius.
Benny and Kevin Ashurst, both great anglers.
Peter Stone a true gentleman.
Neil Mackellow a giant in every way.

and my favourite

Fred Crouch, a day in his company is never dull never miserable and will always have you questioning not only your fishing but your life in general. The man is a comic genius who has an alternative view on most things.

caferacer

Reaction score
You ticked a lot of boxes there.Does Rob Halford fish?:)

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I've met a lot of my heros from when I was a kid, RW, Fred JT, Peter Stone etc. And I guess it all depends on what side of the bed they got out of the day you met them. For instance Paul B tells us that BV was ''charming". Well not when I spoke to him he wasn't! :)
Dave Steuart was/is the crowning glory though as we have become good friends over the years and he has my greatest respect. Even now in his 80s he is still one of the two best anglers I ever fished with. Paul Garner is the other.

I've been lucky to meet a lot of the big 'names' in angling and most if not all have been exceptionally nice guys on the bank. Seriously wonderful people. I'm stumped by what happens once they get in front of a keyboard though - half of them turn from Dr Jekell into Mr Hyde! :D