What rod for a beginner

Bob Robertson

Reaction score
I have just started fly fishing and have not quite mastered the casting yet although i am getting there. My rod is a Diawa Sensor and i find it very flexible at the tip and hard to use----also my fishing neighbour says it has no balance ?? and i should change it----but what rod to buy is my question---?

bob

Reaction score
Bob, make sure your fly line weight rating is matched to your rod, if your rod is marked as 7, then it will need a #7 line to load it, in other words, to make it cast easily. If the rod says 7/8 then the 8 weight line will work better for you. Otherwise the rod will feel sloppy or "dead" when you try to cast. And that means you will fight against it to get a decent cast. And casting should be relaxed and easy, not a battle. Your rod will work when it is casting the line it is designed for. The same as trying to cast light float tackle a long way., you need the weight for the job. Diawa and Shakespeare and most brands make good value rods to get you fishing and match your cash and are great value. Your Sensor rod needs the matching line rating to make it work.

You say it is very flexible at the tip, that sounds if you are going too fast, trying too hard. Slow down a bit. Let the rod do the work, I will try and find you some casting links to look at (Help from some FM guys here please)

If you can find the money to get some professional casting lessons then you will be amazed at how much you can learn. Well worth it, but dont despair if you cannot afford it. Find a friendly fishery (ask around) and most folk will be happy to give advise and tips, most will be good. And a friendly tackle shop is a good starter too(go in when they are not busy) and ask them for advise. They will be glad to get a new customer.

Enjoy your fishing and get ready for the help that will arrive for you on this site when they all come back from their fishing or barbecues. Have fun.

Bob Robertson

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Pete---my rod is a 7-8 and i have a 8wf line, -----i tried my mates leeda rimfly rod and what a difference, much firmer and a nice positive feel, -------when i stop on the backcast on my own rod (as per my Michael Evans video!!) there is such a lot of "movement" at the tip----and unless i get the timing is dead on, the cast just isn't good---could be this rod is for someone with a bit more casting experience than myself, but i will keep at it and see how things progress.-----i may have some lessons if i find i like the sport

many thanks for your time

bob

Reaction score
I think you have a candidate for Ebay with your Sensor. I have used other rods as soft as that one, and the Leeda rod is great value. Change rods, you already appear to have found the action that suits you. I have a pal who will not change from his Rimfly and he fishes well with it. I remember trying a Ron Thompson Steelhead rod a while ago, and I could not stop it dragging my arm back. It was cheaper to change rods than book weight lifting classes !

Bob Robertson

Reaction score
yep it looks like the sensor is going pete---i have been looking for a rimfly on various sites with no success, ---probably been discontinued for a while, going to check e-bay again

L

Luke Allsop

I would take a look at the Greys GRXi, AAPGAI instructor Nick Hart uses them for teaching with and I've got the 9 ft #5/6 which I think is an excellent tool and is quite powerful.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Bob,

It's always worth a trip to a tackle shop to give a few rods a try. Not sure where you are in the country but Anglian Water tackle shops will also have someone on hand to give you advice not only on what rod but some casting tips as well.

Colin

Reaction score
I am starting out too,my neighbuor has already got me casting in the carpark i have a shakespeare rod 7/9 from an aborted attempt a few years ago i have now match this up with a okuma airframe 7/8 reel my friendly neighbuor has said even though the rod has not got the modern shake eyes it will be fine for lake fishing and getting started but there is a lot small rivers down here in cornwall so 3/4 would you all go for if given a small budget thanks for all advice.