6k for a pole , can it be worth that??

C

chefster

so the new map pole is 6k RRP , can any pole be worth that much???

The 901 is here...

it will retail at £2,999.00,so basically it is in the same price range as all top end poles,and it is meant to be the "dogs":D:D, and there is quite a few people with their name down for one!! comes with 13 pre bushed top kits of you,re choice,state of the art technology!!At the end of the day is the Daiwa Air ,Maver Elite 88, etc worth the money-it is if you can afford it!!!!

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The shop will pay say £800 for the pole, then add on atleast 100percent profit for themselves, then add keystone profit at around 39% then add VAT at 20% = approx £3k worth of pole/(easy profit for them and pole worth £800 for you)

I think you may be surprised just how low the margins are on poles. There's little danger that the trade price is £800. I've seen trade prices on poles, my mate is in the game. He often can't buy in at the price the big boys knock them out for. It's rarely worth him buying in top end poles as the margin compared to the financial outlay is simply not worth the bother. He'd make far more more money buying in a load of terminal tackle, where your percentage figure might be closer to the truth.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my view is as follows:

If the pole suits your style and type of fishing, and you have the disposable income to buy it and not to have to worry about the cost, then yes, it is worth it.

That said, it will most definitely retail at considerably less than the stated £6k

Second thoughts:

I see it is made or marketed by MAP, so personally I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole (sic) having had one very nasty and expensive experience after buying a MAP 20' English-style Bolognese rod some years ago.

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Drennan rep was recently in my local tackle shop and had their new 16m Acolyte pole with him. We had it out on the street with a seatbox and there was virtually no droop at 16m. Most impressive bit of kit I have ever seen and the spares package was amazing. Price tag a bit cheaper than Daiwa Air I think. I continue to be impressed with the well-thought design and quality of Drennan stuff.

The New Drennan 16m Acolyte Pole | Drennan Latest

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I can remember a company named Future Tackle marketing a pole for 13k and that was circa 15 years ago. Something tells me it wasn't a best seller......:)

C

chefster

{Quote deleted}

This post is an absolute load of rubbish,total fiction and nonsense made up by someone who does,nt have a clue what he,s talking about:eek::eek::eek:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
deleted quote[/quote said:
Maybe not a top match angler but a match angler all the same I find being called a numpty a bit offensive..
And it's 'satellites' innit?
I also have 2 spare poles....

sam vimes

Reaction score
You might work in retail but you are dead wrong when it comes to the pricing and percentages on poles.
That's why most run of the mill tackle shops don't even stock them any more, especially not the top end stuff.

Richox12

Reaction score
OP - Ofcourse its NOT WORTH IT!!

'state of the art' - seriously?? i beg to differ... (we are not in year 400 BC, if we were then maybe it would have been)

Not to mention its a poxy tool, being a pole used mostly by top numpty's.... (match anglers)

' A break through in technology' - i disagree, sending satalites around space is a break through in technology not making a hollow stick from a relatively cheap carbon fibre on mass production...

If the Supplier(tackle shop) is selling it for £3k (regardless of RRP; thats irrelevant to make the product sell) then they are probably buying that pole for £750 - £850 per package, dictated to by the Manufacturer for the cheapest they are allowed to sell it as £3k.

The shop will pay say £800 for the pole, then add on atleast 100percent profit for themselves, then add keystone profit at around 39% then add VAT at 20% = approx £3k worth of pole/(easy profit for them and pole worth £800 for you)

Why not go buy 2 of them and keep one as a spare ;)

When you re-enter Earth's atmosphere please post something sensible.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
He needs a battery so the Scouser can plead "guilty, as charged".....:eek:mg::wh

That's fightin talk, Sheriff........:D

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Guilty to assault an battery.......of course :)

washineton

Reaction score
You can not judge a pole only by the price but also the function.if you like it,never mind the price,trust me.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If I had the money, I'd have a Daiwa Air, drive around in a Merc and wear a Rolex, but I ain't, so I can't!

Tackle is like everything else, it's worth it if you can afford it.

elliottwaters

Reaction score
If I had the money, I'd have a Daiwa Air, drive around in a Merc and wear a Rolex, but I ain't, so I can't!

Tackle is like everything else, it's worth it if you can afford it.

Very true!

A pole is like any other bit of fishing gear (or for that matter any other item) in that it’s worth as much as people are prepared. to pay for it. For example, a mate of mine is something of a traditional tackle buff and has on ordered a split cane rod from Edward Barder and I doubt if he’ll see change out of twelve hundred quid. I think he’s daft, but he wants it, he can afford it, so who am I to argue?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt if he’ll see change out of twelve hundred quid. I think he’s daft, but he wants it, he can afford it, so who am I to argue?

More like £1600 on today's prices:

The Edward Barder Rod Company, makers of the finest split cane fly fishing rods and coarse (bait) fishing rods

But, as I've said before, if you can afford it, and not have to worry about the cost then these things are worth the price.

I have a Barder Merlin, (bought secondhand I hasten to add) and have owned it for about 10 years I think and it is a joy to use. Even old Ron Clay said he loved (and coveted) the rod when he visited me for a two weeks fishing trip back in the day . . . . . . . . .

I actually have a piccie of him wielding it outside of my old fishing cottage, maybe I'll dig it out one day . . . . .

Last edited: