Google maps...

M

MarkTheSpark

In Google maps (and elsewhere for all I know) you can create a map and add points of interest to it, in an open forum.

I'm more than happy to pop a few prime swims on to a map to help other FM members. I'm sure others among us are happy to do the same.

Done well, and with plenty of contributions (and it is quite fun toadd map pins via the aerial view)it could be a great resource.

Just to demonstrate what I mean, I've created a map HERE so you get the gist. I've only put one swim on it - a fave on Rutland Water. Have a go at putting one or two of your own on it - just good day ticket spots where members might get a few fish.

M

MarkTheSpark

I should mention that you need to click the SATELLITE button to get the aerial view, and you need to sign up for Google to add your own pins. It's free, of course.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
This idea will get jumped upon by the secret squirrel brigade I reckon Mark,and you might get a bit of mischief going on when someone puts someone elses favourite spot on,but day tickets spots might be alright I suppose .I don't have a problem with that but I know alot of people do especially the carp and barbel boys.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Nice idea for a 'bum steer' I thought......... /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
No idea if it's possible but ..... can you lock the map for a user group with a password? That would keep the numpties out and make it plausible for everyone to add their pins /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Just a thought ..................?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Surely,

if its locked for a user group, how can it be possible for everyone to add their pins?

M

MarkTheSpark

Can be done, but you need all the gmail addresses. The way that works is that one person invites another to the maps, then that person can invite others, etc. Might make a good resource for trusted contacts; as you say, it's the numpties that are the problem.

On the other hand, there are plenty of productive swims I don't fish much these days because they don't hold the fish I want to catch. That doesn't mean that someone else couldn't make use of the knowledge.

Maybe that's TWO googlemaps, then. One for the trusted FM brotherhood, one for the newbies we haven't met.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Either way, I cant see a place for it on an 'open website' - either its avalible for all members or should be kept away - in the hands of private clubs/syndicates.

I do like the idea, just can't see a 'middle ground' where it would work.

M

MarkTheSpark

You've a black and white view of your fellow man, Mark! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif Either scumbags or saints, eh?

Maybe it's not for you, but I would be happy to share some of my more remote and interesting places with the likes of Ed, Graham, Ron, Derek, Woody, etc. I'll always keep a few spots to myself, but public fisheries where anyone can get a ticket seem fair game to me. As I said, you can have people see the map by invitation only, so it's not as if anyone outside of an inner sanctum will be able to see it.

Maybe Graham can create a little spot where we could, in the meantime, link to the FishingMagic GoogleMap - just some nice places for everyone to fish, with details of club, species and suchlike.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
No black and white views!Ididn't mention 'scumbags'.... I actually like the idea..

I just dont think imformation should be given to a 'closed group' through an open website...................

M

MarkTheSpark

Sorry I misconstrued your post. But I think that happens anyway, in clubs and among groups of anglers. We tell people about what we want to tell people.

M

MarkTheSpark

Tell you what, I've renamed the one I set up earlier and I'll put a few more fishing spots on it. If you lot could get a google account (if you haven't already got one) and add a few of yours, we'll see what it looks like in a few weeks.

Put the word around, and we might produce something really interesting.

FishingMagic Top Spots

M

MarkTheSpark

Yes. Just go to google.co.uk then hit the sign in button at the top. On the next page look for the 'New account' info and take it from there.

If you haven't been using google for a while, you may be surprised how good it's become; on-line calendar (which can be linked to your Outlook or Lighning Calendar) and lots more. Anyway, once you've got log-on details, you can begin putting pins in the map.

Nathan

Reaction score
I just had a look at some of the spots on your maps& they've directed me to the middle of a field. Am I doing something wrong?

M

MarkTheSpark

I think you're right about the maps, Wol. It seems to store pushpins locally, though, on the user's computer. Does it have a server end for Live users?

Unless the pushpins can be accessed by the whole 'community' - as these people love to call email databases - it won't work for what I'm proposing.