How did everyone get on then?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I had a very pleasant morning fishing a stretch of canal I've not fished for nigh on 20 years and which was one of my favourite haunts. I used to be pretty damned good on the canals but as I expected I am seriously out of touch though there's not a canal roach that can resist a bit of punched bread. I took casters & hemp but this bit is so underfished now that I doubt they knew what they were and I couldn't be bothered to spend time reminding them.

Nothing over about 9-10oz but I had 35-40 plump roach in absolutely pristine nick & thoroughly enjoyed meself.Its often a mistake to go back but this wasn't...even nicer than I remembered and no buqqers fishing the cuts now. Had the place to meself. Be even better in the winter when the cabbage dies back and the little fellers shoal up. Pure fun fishing.

Last edited:

ravey

Reaction score
I went on Friday with a work colleague who had been out with me before after barbel.

After an unsuccessful first attempt, it came good on Friday with nine barbel out, four of which would have been 8+lb. There were also three perch to round off the day, one of which was the biggest he and I had seen at 2+lb.

A pleasant change from the poor fishing for barbel I have experienced so far this season...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Club match at Carp Fishing and Coarse Fishing at Lakeside Fishery in Bedfordshire
Fished 9 till 1 pm then a weigh in followed by hot dogs and a cuppa.
Then 2pm to 5;30.
Drew peg 15. 13m to the island. 6ft deep down the middle and 3ft hard to the island.
Fished 4m whip and maggot for the first hour and had a few bits. Someone on the other bank had a 5lb carp so I got the pole out and fished tight to the island @13m and hooked a munter which mashed my rig.
By 1pm my whip line had died.
Top weight so far was 10lb. To frame I needed carp in the second period.
During the break I tied a new pole rig 0.19 straight through to a 12 forged hook and an 0.1g float. Cupped in a handful of micros and fished whole Dendra tight to the island under the brambles. After 3 minutes my 19 hollo was stripping out and a battle was on. 9lb 11 mirror in the net. Game on.
2 more smaller mirrors also on worm and I weighed in 21lb 6 .
Not enough to win but came 3rd. Winner had 25lb 14. Runner up a gutting 25lb 13. 8
21 fished.....

Last edited:

aebitim

Reaction score
Back from a couple of weeks on tour and managed two days on the north Devon ressy hunting large roach and bream but struggled to get through the small stuff then the Wye for a day [should have been 3 but made the mistake of taking mrs] and distracted from the barbel by the chub which were really on the feed. Did manage a couple of nuisance barbel though the star of the show was the biggest minnow I have ever seen, thought it was a salmon parr at first. Next stop was the Thames and thouroughly enjoyed revisiting an old haunt, the fishing was slow and the distance waggler technique rusty but started getting the hang of it towards the end and managed a couple of decent pristene roach of about 12oz to go with the 1lb or so of tiddlers.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Another session on the Salwarpe Sunday and..................a PB (well I've never caught a Ruffe before;)) That aside, Perch to around 12oz a few small Rudd & Roach, a Chublett and a few Gudgeon.

The Bailiff also had a Ruffe with some Perch and a Chublett (worryingly with a mouth full of maggots), but there's nothing big coming out and there have been Otters around (the pools are fenced off).

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Fished 6 hours on Sat and again today for roach and to say it was poor would be a masterpiece of understatement...
Tried everything tackle wise fishing very fine at every depth and with many different baits including wheat which caught very good fish this time last year as did crust and flake....
Caught some very small fish but with so-called 'ideal conditions' I went home disappointed...

Still, I shall be out again tomorrow and Wed...........the only alternative is to follow S-Kippy as he seems to know how to do it!!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I fished today for four hours up to dusk on a lake for 2 perch to about 5oz.Awful and predictably so. I didnt see a rolling bream or tench despite perfect conditions.

The crested grebes that were feeding their young with small perch every 5 minutes totally outgunned me from pegs either side. I did enjoy using the catapult at some cormorants in a nearby corner of the lake though. Curiously, they seemed to guess what i was going to do and flew off as i was loading the thing with the finest rounded pebbles.

nicepix

Reaction score
My wife's sister and her husband are here at the moment so fishing has been on hold. We did manage a short session on Friday but in the words of Craig Revil-Horwood; "It was a disahaster dahling!"

The day started out well, but by the time he'd got up and sorted he sun was breaking through which killed any chance of catching on the spinner which was the only method I could use as he can't sit still for more than ten minutes. He forgot his cap so wandered round like Lawrence of Arabia with a jumper over his head. We tried all my best places, spending a bit of time wandering and spinning and then driving to another place. He spent half the time wandering about looking for mushrooms. After about three hours and four moves we decided to call it a day and set off back. Half way home he realised that he's dropped his jumper somewhere so we had to re-visit every place we'd fished to recover it and it was at the last place we searched.

God knows what he was like as a kid!

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My wife's sister and her husband are here at the moment so fishing has been on hold. We did manage a short session on Friday but in the words of Craig Revil-Horwood; "It was a disahaster dahling!"

The day started out well, but by the time he'd got up and sorted he sun was breaking through which killed any chance of catching on the spinner which was the only method I could use as he can't sit still for more than ten minutes. He forgot his cap so wandered round like Lawrence of Arabia with a jumper over his head. We tried all my best places, spending a bit of time wandering and spinning and then driving to another place. He spent half the time wandering about looking for mushrooms. After about three hours and four moves we decided to call it a day and set off back. Half way home he realised that he's dropped his jumper somewhere so we had to re-visit every place we'd fished to recover it and it was at the last place we searched.

God knows what he was like as a kid!

Sounds like the sort of bloke you go fishing to get away from Clive!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had a good day crucian fishing yesterday on one of our farm ponds (about an acre with an island) , also some decent roach and a few rogue ferals.
barbelboi-albums-pics-3-picture3126-cows-farm-pond.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
Sounds like the sort of bloke you go fishing to get away from Clive!

I see more of him since coming to live in France than when we lived in the same town :(

Still, they'll be on the plane tomorrow so I might get a bit of fishing done at the weekend.

tilly05

Reaction score
I was on the river don yesterday morning. Dropped float in to double check shotting, and it ducked under... thought id snagged so had a tug and it tugged back.

20130927_095130_zpsb7c3a3dd.jpg

The best I'v caught from this area. And the only fish of the day from my "first cast" which wasnt actually a real cast!!
See if your like me youl always have bait on hook 'just in case'