Save my banksticks!

C

Coops

I now have 3 perfectly good and expensive banksticks in my garage that have been ruined by having plastic rest head threads snap off in them. Drennan please note, nice product but a metal thread please!

Does anyone have any good ideas howI canget the snapped offplastic threads out?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
heat up a piece of metal and put it in to the plastic and leave it to set - them simply unscrew it - the plastic will come out with it

Reaction score
but not a round pice of metal or it will just turn inside the plastic.

At work we use 'stud extractors' - drill a small hole in the plastic. the stud extractor has a spiral on it the oposite direction to the thread. When turned in teh hole it will bite and unscrew.

Only useful info if you know someone who works in engineering who can lend you a set of stud extractors though.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I would go for the drilling a small hole and glueing a 'handle' in it or the hot metal insert options. Drilling it out could easily damage the thread on the bankstick.

One of those small, cheap screwdrivers you get in christmas crackers or from the pound shops would do it. Heated over the cooker and pushed into the stuck plastic.

F

Fred Bonney

Just create a screw slot (?) and undo it witha screw driver!

Applying heat may weld it into the thread.

Reaction score
Drill a hole 4mm dia. Take an alan key 4mm across flats. heat the end of the alan key. push it into the hole, which will partly melt to form a hexagonal hole around the key. let it go hard again. Unscrew.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney (ACA - BS- BTO) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Just create a screw slot (?) and undo it witha screw driver!

Applying heat may weld it into the thread. </blockquote>All I've done before now is hammer a flat-headed screwdriver into the plastic and then unscrewed it. Don't hammer it in too far and then it won't spread too much and make it tighter.

C

Coops

Thanks all. I'll give Graham's method a try first. Knowing me I will burn down the garage if I start heating things over naked flames!

D

david bruce 1

Screw extrator kits (the one with the reverse thread) are on salein Woolworths. JML product so not sure of quality. Not sure of the price either I didn't check as I aready have a set from someone else.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Heat a long bolt with the same thread an screw it in, it also cleans the head thread in the process.

If using the kitchen cooker (helps if it's gas) make sure the floor is protected. My kitchen floor is evidence of 'man at work'

C

Coops

Graham's method worked well. Banged a slimscrewdriver in and two came out easy by simply unscrewing and the third just pushed right through without knackering the thread. So three good banksticks again, thanks./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif