Weird Baits

davethesax

Reaction score
Evenin Guys and Lassies What is the most outlandish, bizarre, eccentric bait you have caught on –fish I mean-and what was the species and why did you use it? Tight lines, David;):D

C

chefster

When i was a young lad(many years ago) i was floatfishing on the local river Cherwell,there were a lot of fish swirling downstream...being relatively inexperienced i was,nt getting a bite,when something told me to catch a cranefly(daddy long legs),that were flying about everywhere, and put it on the hook,i moved all the shot up under the float and let it run down,a massive swirl and a spirited fight and a 3lb chub followed !!Chef

daji

Reaction score
When i was a young lad(many years ago) i was floatfishing on the local river Cherwell,there were a lot of fish swirling downstream...being relatively inexperienced i was,nt getting a bite,when something told me to catch a cranefly(daddy long legs),that were flying about everywhere, and put it on the hook,i moved all the shot up under the float and let it run down,a massive swirl and a spirited fight and a 3lb chub followed !!Chef

ive been eyeing a few of them up recently. got to be worth a punt :w

barbelboi

Reaction score
As posted on another thread some time ago, not myself but a friend, in a 'who could catch on the weirdest bait' competition - a chub on a filter tip.
PS I came second with a bit of banana skin........
PPS Used to catch dace on daddies.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Carp on a boiled sprout.

Tench on strawberries and banana sections.

Roach and dace on chips (seriously, there's a chip shop on a quayside on the River Frome where the tourists hoof their last few chips into the river and, in best Scouse, what de ducks don't do, de dace do do, don't de dough? :)

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I remember catching a prime Colne roach one day in winter on a nice salty freshly picked bogey.....

I'm surprised you didn't pick up some snotties on it.

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

There is a certain chap well known in angling circles who ties flies containing the pubic hair of afro-Caribbean ladies. I will say no more.

hunters moon

Reaction score
:eek:
I CAUGHT SOME OF MY BEST DACE EVER ON WOODLICE AND I STILL USE THEM TODAY .
HUNTERS MOON

at the end of every fishing trip leave only footprints.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Leather jackets (Crane fly lavae) and White grub (Cockchaffer beetle lavae) are gastro Chub grub. :)

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
leather jackets are a great bait, finding them is the hard bit, look for brown patches in your lawn, they are usually responsible.......unless you have a dog.