Your longest cast....

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Ok, not your greatest distance but the longest time you left it there.

I was fishing today and left a ledger out there for about 90 minutes before the doubts about whether the hook was in weed or the bait had gone just got too much.

I think my record is about 3 hours. I have had a sleeper rod set up but even that gets reeled in every hour or so and cast fruitlessly somewhere else usually.

If you bagged a special fish after the bait had been out there for 6 hours then let us now about it!!. After about 30 mins i start to get a bit "concerned" that all may not be well with the hookbait and rarely leave it out for more than an hour.

sam vimes

Reaction score
About twelve hours is as long as I recall leaving a bait. My most recent decent catch will have seen the bait in the water for about ten hours before being taken.

Some folks struggle to catch on some waters simply because they won't leave a bait/baits in one place for long enough. On the right venue you might want to ring the changes very regularly. Doing so on another venue can see you ruining your chances..

Last edited:
B

binka

Funny you should ask that and I don't honestly know for myself but tied in with a recent thread about a rogue catfish the very same guy has had a sleeper rod out continuously since April with a deadbait (not the same one :D) and he roughly checks it four times a day... or every six hours!

There are pike in the water too and he hasn't had a run, I've static deadbaited the same water to the same effect without a run but caught a fair few on moving lures, jigs etc.

I have fallen asleep with the rod wedged well under my armpit for over an hour on the river... :D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
About twelve hours is as long as I recall leaving a bait. My most recent decent catch will have seen the bait in the water for about ten hours before being taken.

Some folks struggle to catch on some waters simply because they won't leave a bait/baits in one place for long enough. On the right venue you might want to ring the changes very regularly. Doing so on another venue can see you ruining your chances..

I would need a lot of confidence that my hookbait was OK. Perhaps if i was fishing a pop-up boilie/artificial bait not a maggot/worm. Its a different thing if i am going to have a kip for a few hours and have the alarm turned up a notch or two.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Fairly close to 48hrs when carp fishing. I wasn't going to get it in a better spot so why move it?

nicepix

Reaction score
If we are talkig about carp fishing then i have a similar opinion to the ones above. If I've gone to the trouble of locating a good place and put my bait where it should be then I'll leave it all session if necessary. However, if I feel that a different bait might be better I'll change it. Usually this is if I'm getting bites on the other rod / bait combination.

With catfish baits it will be out all session or until I get a run.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Probably about 3 hours.

I don't like leaving a bait too long for a couple of reasons.

If it happens to be submerged in weed then it is never going to be found, and I also believe that over time a bait will loose its flavour/smell.