Mullarkeys

scottiedog

Reaction score
I don't know if there's already a thread about this on here but Mullarkeys have sadly ceased trading & gone into liquidation.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Shame, they gave good service and their unbranded fly lines were excellent!

hunters moon

Reaction score
:(
i don't know if there's already a thread about this on here but mullarkeys have sadly ceased trading & gone into liquidation.

yes sad news indeed and bennets of sheffield also gone the same
way, it was from bennets that i baught my first new fishing rod
an allcocks carp superb i was just 15 and just started my
apprenticeship as a coach builder i still have the rod today.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's a name from the past. Mullarkey's bulk mono in higher breaking strains kept me in line and caught me a lot of bait-fished salmon and estuary bass when I was a teenager. Seem to remember that it was white in colour and stiff and tough as hell, but the fish didn't mind.

nicky

Reaction score
Thats a shame bought a few rods from them in recent years surprised as they were often the cheapest

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

B

binka

Sad to see another old name disappearing, I've had a few bits and bobs over the years and always received good service...

and bennets of sheffield also gone the same
way, it was from bennets that i baught my first new fishing rod

I remember visiting Bennets as a kid around the mid-eighties when they were the largest in the country, I think Billy Knott was another big mail order name back then.

B

binka

Billy Knott is a young footballer at Sunderland, currently on loan to Wycombe. Proper footballer's name if ever I heard one!

Are you sure you don't mean Billy Clarke's or perhaps Billy Lane's.

I've heard of Billy Clarke and call in to Billy Lanes in Coventry regularly (going there tomorrow) but sure it was Billy Knott... the unlikely location for his business being Penzance?

Pretty sure he used to do double page ads in the ATs many years ago and remember ordering a keepnet as it had to be returned and replaced.

Edited to add: Sam I think (?) he might have gone in to something to do with fisheries after coming out of mail order and found this... not sure if it's the same Billy Knott but it all fits

http://www.bkfisheries.co.uk/index.php/coaching

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've heard of Billy Clarke and call in to Billy Lanes in Coventry regularly (going there tomorrow) but sure it was Billy Knott... the unlikely location for his business being Penzance?

Pretty sure he used to do double page ads in the ATs many years ago and remember ordering a keepnet as it had to be returned and replaced.

There's a Billy Knott's Fishery in Cornwall. Never heard of the name as a mail order tackle emporium though. Doesn't mean it wasn't, after all, I struggle to remember what I've had for breakfast past lunchtime.:eek:;):D
Their homepage does remind me why the name rang bells. It was as an angling bookie that the name was familiar.

Last edited:
B

binka

There's a Billy Knott's Fishery in Cornwall. Never heard of the name as a mail order tackle emporium though. Doesn't mean it wasn't, after all, I struggle to remember what I've had for breakfast past lunchtime.:eek:;):D

It'll bug me for sure now until the penny finally drops, i'm off fishing for a couple of hours later and things usually spring to mind out of the blue when i'm not even trying to remember :D

Last edited:
B

binka

Billy Knott was a bookie, used to do the nationals. :)

Yeah I remember that Phil, i'm still sure he ran quite a large mail order business for some time during the early 80's?

Probably turn out to be a completely different name when I finally remember... Memory like an effalump me! :)

Keith M

Reaction score
It's a shame about Mullarkeys and Bennets.

Is Roy Marlow still alive? I know that Ivan Marks died of cancer a few years ago; I used to buy my bigger tackle items via mail order from their tackle shop 'Marks & Marlows' back in the late 70's.

I also met Ivan on the bank a few times he was a true gentleman and could catch from a puddle when everyone else was struggling.

Keith

Last edited:
C

chefster

It's a shame about Mullarkeys and Bennets.

Is Roy Marlow still alive? I know that Ivan Marks died of cancer a few years ago; I used to buy my bigger tackle items via mail order from their tackle shop 'Marks & Marlows' back in the late 70's.

I also met Ivan on the bank a few times he was a true gentleman and could catch from a puddle when everyone else was struggling.

Keith

Are you joking about Roy Marlow,he owns Mallory Park Fishery and The Glebe Fishery, also is sales director for Marukyu baits in Britain..as well as being the inventor of "the Method".......Chef......Mullarkey,s were too dated and would,nt move with the times ,stuck in their old ways,.....

jack sprat

Reaction score
Billy Knott the bookie did 'grey import' Mitchells at knock down prices when tackle manufacturers were still trying to maintain RRPs. Jim Johnson did the same as well.

terry m

Reaction score
If bigger outlets - that also deal in mail order - such as Bennetts and Mullarkeys are going under, just consider how many smaller outlets slip quietly away also.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Billy Knott the bookie did 'grey import' Mitchells at knock down prices when tackle manufacturers were still trying to maintain RRPs. Jim Johnson did the same as well.

That's the one I remember, he was bringing them in from France approx 40/50 years ago, finger dab bail arm, i'm sure I still have a couple somewhere.

I believe he passed away after a heart attack several years ago whilst still quite young.

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Just thought, I believe it was Billie Knott Jnr, Billy knott Snr started the 'angling' bookie business.

B

binka

Just thought, I believe it was Billie Knott Jnr, Billy knott Snr started the 'angling' bookie business.

That's gone and kicked it into the long grass Merv :D

I wonder if it was Billy Knott Jnr who had a mail order tackle business... or was it Billy Smart? :confused: ;)

Billy Knott snr is very much alive and kicking...

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
or was it Billy Smart?

Or Bertram Mills?

Great travelling circuses. Went to both when I was a little boy.

Loved the gals on the flying trapeze as well as the lions and oliphants.

Circuses...

Came to fishing and the old certainties and civilities left, and with them a lot of tackle-dealers....

Stop it, Paul.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
But would Billie Knott Snr's demise mean that Billie Knott Jnr became Billy Knott Snr and upon his demise Billy Knott Jnr would be Billie Knott Snr again.

I'm going to bed now, my head hurts :confused: