Just for fun. The curious caster

davethesax

Reaction score
G.’Day All. How did caster become a word meaning chrysalis of bluebottles :eek: and other flies? Out of curiosity I tried to look up the word on the net and in the Collins English Dictionary but no mention of it in this context. Could if relate to the act of casting a line? Anyone know how old this term is? :confused: Regards, to all

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've no idea why anglers refer to fly chrysalis as a caster any more than why the whole world calls the pupae a maggot. However, I'd be distinctly dubious about anyone claiming a connection between casters and casting.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The only reference I've ever seen was from the early Nottingham anglers who referred to maggots that had turned as a "caster" as in you needed to "cast them away" (cast as in chuck) as they would float and were considered no good anymore as a bait.

I certainly cannot find any written reference to verify this though.

aebitim

Reaction score
A very gentle question, perhaps caste in stone?

tikka

Reaction score
I believe any insect that develops in a cocoon,is called a caster because when it emerges from the cocoon it is said to cast (as in cast off) its shell. Hence it is deemed a caster until it has cast its shell.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I believe Tikka is correct on the caster origin. Gentles I believe were so called when they were used by surgeons to eat rotting or infected flesh from wounds. They didn't cause any discomfort to the patient because they ate the flesh gently....

aebitim

Reaction score
The chrysalis phase is caste, after it castes it removes [CASTS] off its shell, not sure if caste is anything to do with casters though.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As a young chap we always bought 'chrysalis' from Frames tackle shop in Hendon (I'm talking 50+ years ago)...........never knew them as 'casters' at that time.

No idea when the name changed..

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
As a young chap we always bought 'chrysalis' from Frames tackle shop in Hendon (I'm talking 50+ years ago)...........never knew them as 'casters' at that time.

No idea when the name changed..

Yes...they were always chrysalis when I was a boy then all of a sudden they were caster. I can't remember when this happened but I would guess early 70's.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Perhaps Ivan Marks had something to do with it.....'caster' sounds more of an Ivan word than chrysalis for some reason

I just hope I can sleep tonight.........................need to be bright as I'm after those elusive roach again starting at 6.30 ish..

Maybe I should pray harder..

barbelboi

Reaction score
Perhaps Ivan Marks had something to do with it.....'caster' sounds more of an Ivan word than chrysalis for some reason

I just hope I can sleep tonight.........................need to be bright as I'm after those elusive roach again starting at 6.30 ish..

Maybe I should pray harder..

Make sure you use the right pellet...............;)

B

binka

I reckon you're all wrong and it's called a caster because it's an anagram of recast... something I always seem to be doing when fishing with 'em and getting "shelled" by lighting fast, mini roach! ;) :D

jack sprat

Reaction score
Lancashire dialect - maggots that have turned to chrysalis have 'cast' hence casters.