Thunder & Lightening Storms

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now, here in Paris, there is a fabulous thunder and rain storm starting.

I just love thunder, lightning and rainstorms, even when I'm fishing.

I really do wish that I were in my bivvy right now experiencing this storm, it really is quite spectacular.

Over the years I've had some great nights in the bivvy with the thunder, lightening and rain lashing down, and the next morning helping out some of the other angers who were less better equiped for the deluge.

So, what have been your best, or worst, experiences of fishing in a thunder and rain storm?

Rickrod

Reaction score
when i was a boy i was fishing the river aire at steeton and there was this thunder and lighting storm (a strong one) that me and my mate both aged about 12 were afraid of been electrocuted that we did'nt dare sit under the brolly or near the rods the valley there is flat with hills at ether side and thunder was defining we had to sit there soaked to the skin waiting for our lift home but these days i love thunder and ligthing

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You don't want to be in a bivvy when hailstones the size of cricket balls are dropping, nor if a big twister hits.

/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron,

When was the last time you had a 'Twister' in Rotherham, or hailstones the size of cricket balls?

The storm here is growing in intensity and it looks like being a wild night.

Thankfully it will cool things down as today had been super-humid.

I well remember a holiday in England some time ago when the morning after a terrific thunder and rain storm I was able to help out a couple of local youngsters with a proper breakfast, and calling their Dad to come and get them. They had spent a horrible night, soaking wet, tired and hungry, and yet as they said their goodbyes, they both asked if I'd be on that lake next weekend.

Isn't that what is really all about?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It would be ca 1982 when a storm powered it's way through Bryanston, Cyrildene and finally deposited it's load of huge hailstones over Germiston, some of which weighed 650 gms each and were the size of cricket balls. A wholeholding area of brand new cars were damaged, some to be written off.

I just missed the storm but saw the devastation it left. About 300 people were severely injured and 3 were killed. Lots of family pets were killed too.

It would be about 1973 when a tornado hit the main camping area near Vaal Dam and took several vans and cars into the air. I saw it whilst fishing. It missed us by about 2 miles I guess.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ah! it was that other place then!

I was fishing a match once above Burton on Trent, I was stood in the water fishing the stick and catching well when suddenly with half an hour to go the lightning started upstream of me. I thought to hell with it and carried on for about ten minutes by which time it was bouncing off the water and I thought discretion was the better part of valour and got the hell out of it. The guy in the next peg called me all the idiots under the sun which was probably about right but I had the last laugh 'cos I won the match with just a few ounces to spare and the rest had packed up as soon as the lightning started. Those last two or three fish won me the match so perhaps it was worth it - or was it?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Peter can have my share of lightning any day!

I've been in a 747 hit by it, the house next door hit, seen our telephone wire vapourised twice whilst watching it.

The worst was being on the Thames just below Godstow when lightning struck the far bank dead opposite which was about 40 yards away. My rod was on the ground by then a few yards away. There was a terrific crack with steam coming off the ground.

The day that Diana died we had a match on the upper Stour when a terrific storm developed. 5 poles were smashed by the hailstones of around an inch in diameter. My pole was disassembled with the remainder pushed under water. I put a folded fishing towel on my head despite being under a brolly.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,

I had a similar experience at a match in Sweden when poles were crushed by hailstones but much smaller than the ones you experienced.

It is amazing really how many times an airplane is actually struck by lightning, I've had that on several occasions.

Graham,

I always put a good distance between myself and carbon rods/poles in the event of lightning, but I do love the sound of rain on a brolly or bivvy I have to admit.

S

sash

I was in the middle of a fantastic storm on the upper Trent a couple of years ago sat under my brolly taking photos. I had a sequence of shots showing the two rods on restspointing upwards with forked lightning going horizontally across the shot and vertically between the rods with the sky going fromblack to red in an instant. Amazing stuff (and possibly rather foolhardy to be sat there).

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Peter's right. I've never really been too enthusiastic about sitting in a thunderstorm with several metres of lighting conductor either in my hand or close by!

Having said that, these storms invariably drop a lot of water and that can refresh a riverat this time of year. Once the run off is fining down hit 'em hard.

Muffin

Reaction score
I was fishing a lake a month ago when a lightening, wind and rain storm struck. I thought it best not to keep hold of my fishing rod as I can imagine most a pretty good conductors of electricity!

Have there been any deaths from fishing in lightening or am I just being a whimp?

I love fishing, but I love living even more!

Simon

Morespiders

Reaction score
Yes Mr Muffin, their have been a few fatalities over the years.

Can just picture Mr Wintle with with a folded towel on his head, clenching his teeth as it went over/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

Had some good catches in thunderstorms over the years, but not to be recomended, best bet is to go back to your car until it's finished.

slime monster

Reaction score
drove through one on m5 around gloucester area last 20 mph at one point never seen rain that heavy and lightning every 10 seconds or so it was horrendous and surreal that we had 29 degrees and clear sky until then it dropped to 17 in half an hour

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
I love thunder and lightening. Being out in extreme weather has got to be one of the most exciting and envigorating things that can happen to us. Forget all about gods and religeon when Mother Nauture unleashes her power she is a force more greater than anything else in the world, and you can physically see the power not just read about it in stupid little books.

C

Colin North, the one and only

I love watching lightning. I remember once when I worked in the City watching a lightning storm over South East London, and when I got home from work later that day, I found the communal chimney stack on my semi had been struck, and a great chunk of the chimney had collapsed onto and through the roof of my house. Just as well really, because I had been contemplating having a new roof anyway, so instead of me having to fork (pun) out thousands, a very kind insurance company footed the bill to replace my roof.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Try fishing Sywell when you can see the forked lightening striking very close to bivvy land. Then you notice Wol, who's next door, has his marker and spod rods pointing in the air.

I cowered under my bed chair waiting to be zapped/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Then you notice Wol, who's next door, has his marker and spod rods pointing in the air."

Maybe a change of name now to: Wol 'deathwish' Gaunt?

Nice one Wol.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Oh yeah, forgot about that lol lol lol

Ah yes, you cowering under that contraption that leaked, did i laugh.....