help needs with feeder tangles

brummiephil

Reaction score
when fishing a feeder, either cage or block end i keep tangling my hook with the feeder

the feeder is kept in place with a drennan ledger stop and the hook is loop to loop with the main line

any ideas??

The Sogster

Reaction score
Put a couple of beads above the leger stop the weight of the feeder will cause the hooklength to stand away from the mainline/ feeder.
Also don't forget to feather/ trap the line before the feeder hits the water, this will cause the hook to land beyond the feeder.

C

chefster

when fishing a feeder, either cage or block end i keep tangling my hook with the feeder

the feeder is kept in place with a drennan ledger stop and the hook is loop to loop with the main line

any ideas??

Thread you,re feeder onto the line,and tie a big loop(about 10 inches) so youre feeder is in it,then tie 2 or 3 small overhand loops into the end of the big loop,the last one is where you connect the hooklength to....this then acts as a mini boom ,holding the hooklength out at an angle,reducing tangles,this is how i attach cage or maggot feeders phil,i hope this makes sense,Gaz

robtherake

Reaction score
In addition to the above advice, try this.

When you've filled your cage/ open end feeder, gently press your baited hook into one end (I use the end nearest the hook - not sure if it makes any difference) then press a further pinch of groundbait/pellets over it to hold it in place.

Now it can't misbehave in flight, and when the feeder hits the water your hookbait - only lightly held in place - is pushed clear. It NEVER tangles!

OK, I'll admit that the hooklength once came all the way through the feeder and out the other end. Just once mind, in thousands of casts!

Wilko

Reaction score
Your hook length is too short, it should always be longer than the feeder length, that way, if you prefer fishing paternoster style then all you need is a double loop (as Chefster has detailed) to stiffened the hook length to hold it away from the rig.

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Are you feathering the line or fishing to the line clip?

Either of those should help prevent the hook length tangling with the feeder.

Wilko

Reaction score
Trust me.....the hook length is too short.
Even if you feather the line after casting, fish it with a boom or rig it so it can't tangle in flight, it will still tangle on the retrieve, making it longer than the feeder length will prevent this, I can honestly say I never get tangles when feeder fishing.