How did everyone get on then?

C

chefster

Could,nt go due to havin" to work,but that is one of the most perfect looking Chub i have ever seen Steve,cracking mate..:D:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
After the crucians on the farm pond on Tuesday we went for some 'up in the water' carp fishing on a local gravel pit on Thursday. The morning was a dead loss after three windless days a cold easterly was howling and although the carp were topping they were not feeding, however by midday the fleece was off, T shirt afternoon/suncream on, and nine carp to small 20's between 12 & 4pm.
Jerry
PS My river fishing season starts in earnest in a couple of weeks although have already had a few sessions with mixed results.

B

binka

that is one of the most perfect looking Chub i have ever seen Steve,cracking mate..:D:D

Thanks Gaz :)

Despite trying quite hard I've not had many so far this season but the ones I have had have been minters, even the ones that have been hitting the lures...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Thames for me today. An interclub match, Tring v Hanwell Prince of Wales @
Little Stoke, near Goring on Thames. Rock hard bit bashing in the wind. 13m of pole in the gusty wind for 6 hours mixed with feeder across from time to time. Lack of flow and clarity made it hard going for all, didn't hang around for the result but there were 2 weights of 9lb+ of roach in my section.
1lb 1oz of bits for my efforts for nowhere. Nice day out nevertheless.

nicepix

Reaction score
Yesterday was forecast to be overcast at best and thunderstorms likely.

I headed up to the big lake and set up on one of the smaller arms which is still over 20 hectares but is not used for abstraction so remains full all year. I've found a swim that is rarely fished by others and has cracking potential. It drops away to about 3 metres at 20 metres out and shelves up to around 1 metre to my right where there is a large sand bar. This makes a corner larder where there is the best roach fishing I've found out here so far and also holds carp to over 20lb and is an ambush point for predators. It is also about the only place in the Charente where I don't get bothered by bream. This swim has it all and I try to keep its location quiet from other anglers.

Normally the wind blows from the westerly direction and that pushes the float towards the sand bar. I fish it just on the bottom at the full depth then let the float drift and anchor itself so I'm effectively laying on with three No. 4 shot 8cm apart from the hook and the bulk of the shot 20cm above the top No. 4. Bait is always sweetcorn flavoured with vanilla sugar and once the float is anchored I bombard it with four or five balls of groundbait made up from scalded chopped maize and wheat, chicken pellets and bulked up with white breadcrumb groundbait. I fish it with a fifteen foot float rod, Mitchell Match reel and loaded zoomer float. The float stop is left on the reel in the right position so I only have to thread the rod, slide on a float connector, attach a hook length and add the shot. No need to plumb the depth as its already set up :)

I also put out two other rods; a 2lb tc barbel rod with a stack of three maize grains fished free running and a 3.5lb tc carp rod with a small roach livebait fished sunken float, line clipped rather than on a baitrunner and both rods alarmed and set just to one side of the sand bar.

The weather actually turned out to be hot and sunny but with thunder rumbling out to the north. For some reason the predators were hyper-active in the middle of the lake and every couple of minutes I heard and saw shoals of fry being scattered.

I got a run on the catfish rod. A hesitant couple of bleeps then a solid steady run. I struck into thin air though. Just as I got the bare hook back I had an identical run on the carp rod next to it. Again I struck thin air :eek: Next cast on the waggler the float didn't settle so I struck and briefly was attached to something very big before the hook pulled out. On reflection I reckon a big catfish had cruised through the swim.

I ended up with a good bag of roach and packed up just as the heavens opened so the gear got wet through as I was putting it away.

This afternoon we had a similar forecast so I just went up to the farm pond about five minutes walk from the house to use up the bait I had left over. I had a few small stuff; fingerling roach and carp to around 4oz before the larger residents came into the swim. For an hour it was a fish a chuck with carp to around 4lb. Great fun on an old Chapmans 500 cane rod and Trudex centrepin reel. Then the heavens opened again and the dog, tackle and I got wet through walking home.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just the one, but it made me smile. Not in the photos though, carpers don't grin, it's just not the done thing!;):D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Last week i had a late afternoon-dusk session on the Thames near Sunbury, for old times sake - i used to fish the lower Thames a lot 25-35 years ago!. Me and a mate had a real mixed bag of ruffe (1), bleak (1), Perch (about 40), dace (about 30 to 6oz) and Roach (about 40 to 8oz or so) for about 10Ib of fish between us. Also had 1 mitten crab to me and 1 bullhead to him (both firsts!).

aebitim

Reaction score
3 short sessions on a campsite pond trying out a new rod and looking for roach, found a few to 12oz or so, plenty of nuisance carp and even managed to land some up to 10lb or so using a 14 kamasan to 4lb line and sweetcorn. Certainly gave the rod a workout.

jimlad

Reaction score
Driving in the dark and misty country lanes on Saturday morning, I nearly got lost it was so thick. Eventually I rolled up to the spot at 6am and quietly walked through the woods, and the cold mist and an owl put the shivers up me. I stumbledy way down to the first peg, not being able to see the water much, I noted that the inside wasn't moving much but the flow kicked in two rod lengths out. A float fished sardine was flicked to this bit, whilst I sat back and awaited dawn.

The float lifted, dipped than shot off to the middle, stripping line. Big pike I thought! But the fight felt otherwise, and I soon netted a good chub, a tees pb for me at 4lb 10oz, with a whole sardine down its throat...this happens all too often to be coincidental.

P1020729_zpsade15275.jpg

I could now make out what I was fishing in, and it turned out to be streamer weed in 6 inche of water! Time for a move.

The next peg saw me fishing a roach deadbait, paternoster style in mid water, so the bait wafted in the current. I was contemplating packing up, when the float was suddenly gone! I hit into solid resistance, a definite pike. And exciting minute or so ended abruptly when me and the fish parted company. I was guttered. Absolutely guttered.

No more action after that, and I stumbled back up the bank happy, but deflated. It's almost the official pike season, and I'm determined to get some action soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free