Storing Mono

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ditto............IMO a cool, dark cupboard/drawer in a heated building gives the best environment for storing mono.

B

binka

Yep same again, mono's in a drawer in the garage.

Fridges are for beer, maggots and casters ;) :D

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
Yep, keep my mono in a spare fridge in my shed - always have. It might be a confidence thing, but it seems to work.

Maggots on one shelf, and two tupperware boxes of spools on another shelf. Beer in the part at the bottom that some people keep vegetables in.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I keep mine in a cupboard in the house with the rest of the gear.

It isnt too hot or cold, and is dry and dark.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I still have one or two spools of heavier breaking strains of Maxima (12lb bs) that must be 7 years old and I used one recently. It had been stored in a dark cupboard, in a box, and in the warm and it was absolutely fine.
It loaded okay and once it had been stretched a bit it did the job...I checked it as I loaded and couldn't find anything to suggest it was breaking down.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's very little danger of mono being refridgerated at any point in its life prior to me buying it. Therefore, there's no chance of me doing so after purchase.

mick b

Reaction score
I store all my mono in a dark drawer in my 'office'.

Some of my oldest mono is well over 20 years old, maybe more, but as long as it doesn't go brittle its fine.

As an example last year I took some nice Bass up to 6lb on some 4lb Daiwa mono that I brought for £1 a spool bin in the mid 90's (bait was 2 live shrimps on a 6 under a mini ducker btw).

However, I always respool my centrepins every 3 months and never use old line on my hooklengths.

Wilko

Reaction score
It seems that judging by the majority of the posts that the most important element in the storage of monofilament line is the absence of natural light rather than the temperature range. It is pretty much accepted that ultra-violet is the killer of fishing line, I just like the belt-and-braces approach that the cooler environment inside a fridge provides.

symonh2000

Reaction score
I have always considered the inside of a fridge to be relatively damp, hence why I wouldn't put my line in there.

B

binka

Definately....but does damp have any adverse effects on monofil?

I hope not... given what it's designed for :D

Seriously though I've trawled up endless amounts of mono from the lake bed where I often jig fish, the lake's popular with carpers and especially novices and despite some of the stuff being down there that long it's discoloured I still can't break it by hand.

I'm sure mono does have a breakdown rate but it must be a heck of a long time in respect of damp.