gallery photos.jpg

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
A very well done Richard, I see you popped your barbel cherry and with a lovely looking barbus barbus too/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Well done Richard..............

What were you after at the time? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Maybe...just maybe a barbel?!
tease.gif

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I used fairly short hook lengths, 6-8 insof braid with a lead and PVC mesh or bags. Had 4 takes and 3 fish on the bank. Would a slightly longer hooklength have been better or is this a reasonable runs to fish landed ratio?

Morespiders

Reaction score
I bet you were dissapointed Mr Farrow when you saw how big it was, never mind, next time you may catch a real one.

F

Fred Bonney

Looks pretty good to me Richard, although 4 out of 4 would have been better/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Must try the shorter hooklength myself.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Morespiders(ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I bet you were dissapointed Mr Farrow when you saw how big it was, never mind, next time you may catch a real one.</blockquote>
At least the hook was in the fish not part of the anatomy of somebody near by.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Usually with the barbel a definate bite is a fish hooked, shy they are not.

If it was hair rigged maybe the 4th bite was a chub mouthing the bait?

I tend to start with short hooklengths for more positive bite indication and lengthen them through the session if bites are thin on the ground.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
The first one that I lost was not a Chub, it went like stink taking approx 15- 20yds up line upstream against the current and a fairly tight clutch. I had it on for about 5 mins and it kept low never saw it. I just had it sitting in front of me with reasonable pressure on and then ping the lead nearly clobbered me as the hook hold went. Hook was nice and sharp so not sure what happened. The other three were all really well hooked in the scissors.

I was a little disappointed with the fight the fish gave me, they all went well but I think everything anyone has told me about them upped the anti in my mind more than it should have done.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
When you latch into a big girl on a big river like the Trent or Severn you can be there for ages with a bent double rod as they just sit in the flow, sticking like glue to the river bed with seemingly no effort at all.

It tends to be the fish under double figures which shoot off on long runs in my experience.